GPXX navigation on the 705

lost_in_thought
lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
So, bikehike.co.uk have introduced the facility to download onto your GPS as a GPXX file, which they maintain allows 'sat-nav style' (which I presume means turn by turn) navigation with more than 100 course points.

So I tried this, downloaded my route onto the Garmin, hit Navigate, and for some reason it seemed utterly intent on taking me somewhere I had no intention of going, and indeed wasn't on the route I know I'd planned, it seemed to have picked a point and be taking me there, I suppose once I'd gone through that point it might have taken me to the next one, but it was still the wrong way.

Luckily I'd also downloaded it as a TCX 'course', which didn't give me any turn-by-turn, but a helpful pink line to follow, which works.

Anyone else tried the GPXX? Thoughts? Advice?

Comments

• _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Just seen this after I'd downloaded the tcx for tomorrow. Have stuck the gpxx on there as well, might give a whirl and see what happens.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    I have jut bought Traktor Scratch Pro, its great. My thoughts anyway, nothing to do with the 705 though.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    From bikehike's help page:
    The GPXX Route option allows Garmin 705 users to do SatNav type navigation and not be restricted to the 100 waypoint limit. Hardpoints in the route become 'via' points. You can add hard points by ctrl-clicking on the route while in drag edit mode (hard points are the black dots). You will need to add via points for off-road sections - or disable the 705's route recalculation (if possible).
    Sounds like the Garmin just navigates from one hardpoint to the next, but these aren't created automatically when you use bikehike to plan your route. It does create one if you modify the route using drag edit, so if you'd done that it might have been trying to send you straight form the start to the first drag-edited point.

Does that make any sense? I notice the route for tomorrow didn't have any of the hardpoints, so I'll add them and download it again. Bet I end up following the pink line tho' :)
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    I haven't had any probs with *.GPX files that I've created using Bikely - navigates turn by turn and follows the route exactly (never used *.GPXX though - is there a difference?). Perhaps try a different *.GPX/GPXX creator?
  • _Brun_ wrote:
    From bikehike's help page:
    The GPXX Route option allows Garmin 705 users to do SatNav type navigation and not be restricted to the 100 waypoint limit. Hardpoints in the route become 'via' points. You can add hard points by ctrl-clicking on the route while in drag edit mode (hard points are the black dots). You will need to add via points for off-road sections - or disable the 705's route recalculation (if possible).
    Sounds like the Garmin just navigates from one hardpoint to the next, but these aren't created automatically when you use bikehike to plan your route. It does create one if you modify the route using drag edit, so if you'd done that it might have been trying to send you straight form the start to the first drag-edited point.

Does that make any sense? I notice the route for tomorrow didn't have any of the hardpoints, so I'll add them and download it again. Bet I end up following the pink line tho' :)

It does, yes, but for the fact that I find bikehike's drag-edit a PITA so never use it, so god knows how it was creating the 'hard points'. Maybe it wasn't, and that was the problem...
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    After quite a bit of testing and playing around today. I'd say step 1. Turn off Autorecalc, especially if you've got a "loop" route. I had it set to "Prompt" today, and it was working fine till we took a wrong turn, it asked if i wanted to recalc, and I said yes.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    You can get turn-by-turn instructions in TCX files if you use BikeRouteToaster. I've been doing it for over a year now.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Jamey wrote:
    You can get turn-by-turn instructions in TCX files if you use BikeRouteToaster. I've been doing it for over a year now.

I'm getting the impression that the GPXX files will follow the road though (like what happens if you ask the Edge to go to a location and you've got a routable map), turn by turn in TCX is just waypoint following.

If you try to put a calculated route from Mapsource into yur edge though it goes nuts as the route seems to be made up of visits to loads of houses, thousands of them.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Used GPXX on the "slowcial" today and it worked pretty well, any errors were mainly user, or googlemaps which tried to send us down a firmly gated road. I'm going to stick with it as the turn by turn is very useful.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    GPXX and bikehike works just fine for me, full turn by turn functionality. What map do you have installed on your Edge?
  • zerostar
    zerostar Posts: 37
    I have just got a 705 and in my attempts to understand how to use it came across this thread.

I want to create long rides with over 100 turns on them with navigation that follows where I want to go not where the garmin thinks I should go.
    Is this possible?
    And if so how?

I am using the routable talkytoaster maps from here:
    http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm

[I read frank kinlans blog, but even after looking through that I was confused]
    http://frank.kinlan.co.uk/garmin-705-knowledgebase/
  • From what I can remember if you use GPXX and want to follow exactly the track you created on Bikehike or similar, you have to turn off the recalculate function.

There was a thread on here a few weeks ago that explored this issue.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    zerostar wrote:
    I want to create long rides with over 100 turns on them with navigation that follows where I want to go not where the garmin thinks I should go.

Heh, I remember planning a route round and over the Malverns with my 705 and not realising that with the maps installed if I went slightly off route it would recalculate the ride.

I missed the two things I really wanted to see (the spring at Great Malvern and the Kettle Sings cafe).
  • zerostar
    dodgy wrote:
    GPXX and bikehike works just fine for me, full turn by turn functionality. What map do you have installed on your Edge?

I think this is what I want to do.
    Do other people do it differently?
    When I load up a plan from bikehike in gpxx format i just get a solid pink line that joins the start to the finish as the crow flies.

There are so many settings on the edge that seem completely undocumented.
    Currently I have the map settings to
    detail: normal
    orientation: track up
    auto zoom: on
    lock on road:off [should this be on?]

And the routing options
    calculate routes for: bicycle
    guidance method: follow road
    recalculate: off

Do I need to change these?
  • dodgy
    zeerostar, what map do you have installed?
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    After my nav failure today with gpx files I will have a look at gpxx. gpx seemed to get about 80% of the turns, the rest could have been my fault when creating a route, the problem was it then didn't suggest ways back to the route. Will check my recalculate settings.

And I thought I had got it all sorted out :oops:

Next time I'll try it on my own and not feel guilty about leading others doen the wrong road. Today it mainly sent us up hills and round in circles - nothing more demoralising than seeing the distance left to go jump from 29 miles to 35 :(
  • zerostar
    dodgy wrote:

I was hoping you might turn up since you seen to have the system working properly.
    Which map are you using?

I am using these maps:

In particular these (the top link in the table)

100820-GB+Contours-Routable-GMAPSUPP.zip
    contains
    100820-GB+Contours-Routable-GMAPSUPP.IMG 315 MB (330,801,152 bytes) GB Map (With Contours) - Routable. Can be overlaid over other maps.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    This seems as good a place as any for the BR 705 users.

If you have the 3.2 firmware it would be a good idea to downgrade to 3.1. Garmin have fropped the 3.2 and since I updated my firmware I was getting the Autopause kick in at 17-20mph whcih I first put down to the cadence sensor but this still happened when on bike 2. Downgraded this morning so hopefully this problem will be cured.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Canny Jock
    Roastie wrote:
    I haven't had any probs with *.GPX files that I've created using Bikely - navigates turn by turn and follows the route exactly (never used *.GPXX though - is there a difference?). Perhaps try a different *.GPX/GPXX creator?

Is it possible to post any of these with examples?
  • dodgy
    zerostar wrote:
    dodgy wrote:

I was hoping you might turn up since you seen to have the system working properly.
    Which map are you using?

I am using these maps:

In particular these (the top link in the table)

100820-GB+Contours-Routable-GMAPSUPP.zip
    contains
    100820-GB+Contours-Routable-GMAPSUPP.IMG 315 MB (330,801,152 bytes) GB Map (With Contours) - Routable. Can be overlaid over other maps.

It's possible that the site you're using to create your routes has different mapping data compared with the mapping data on your device. What site are you using? Have you tried installing the open (free) maps in mapsource on your PC and design the routes that way, too? Some of the free open source maps come with an installer to make it easier to put the maps on your PC.
  • Canny Jock
    So if I use the maps which come with the Garmin Road package, which would be the best mapping tool/site to use? The map name is CN Europe NT 2011.10.
  • Canny Jock
    Bump still playing around with this, any recommendations for a site to edit existing gpx routes, for upload to a 705 using the Garmin Road maps? Also, which settings should I use for turn-by-turn navigation, which will sort itself out if I miss a turn without just routing me to the end point?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Bikeroutetoaster?

Existing routes available but I use the map to create my own routes though in the main.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Neil Holland
    Neil Holland Posts: 109
    Interesting thread. Recenlty acquired second hand 705 and coming to terms with the pros and cons of GPX vs TCX and (shortly) GPXX.

Missed turn by turn when on TCX.

Neil