My SS Trailstar build.

snotty badger
snotty badger Posts: 1,593
edited March 2012 in Your mountain bikes
A few weeks ago I managed to get my trusty old DMR Trailstar back after selling it- never be pressued into selling a bike if you don't want too! :lol:

I stripped the frame down, cut off the cablestops and canti mounts and had it blasted at work-

Smoothed and naked Trailstar
DSC00373.jpg

That rusty bit of tube was put in to stop any powdercoat getting it :wink:

Back from the powdercoater, hmmmmm bright white 8)

DSC00411.jpg

And some built pic's-

DSC00474.jpg

DSC00475-2.jpg

DSC00476.jpg

DSC00477.jpg

DSC00478.jpg

DSC00464.jpg

I knocked up the spacers for the rear sprocket out of a scrap of tube- 38mm OD with a 1.6 wall.

I had to comprimise on spec for now- property ladder is becoming a reality very soon I reckon, so trying to watch the pennies and that :lol:

Frame - DMR Trailstar MK1
Forks - Rock Shox Judy 1 (had hoped for something better but these get me rolling for now!)
Wheels - Mavic Crossrides (cheers sheepsteeth)
Tyres- 2.3 Spesh Eskars (gonna have to downsize to a 2.0 tyre though for clearence issues)
Brakes - Hayes Stroker Ryde V6
Stem- Truvativ Hussefelt
Bars- Unbranded
Grips- Spesh ones- (had them lying about so they'll do for now)
Seatpost - Kalloy
Seatclamp - Powerplay
Cranks - Deore LX old skool (cheers sonic)
Pedals - Wellgo
Saddle - Tioga (temporary till I find a bargain!!!)

Just gotta chose some decent 2.0 tyres and a new saddle and I'm good to go 8)

EDIT- Current Spec:

Frame: DMR Trailstar Mk1
Forks: 09 RockShox Reba Race w/pushloc
Bars: unbranded
Stem: Carbon Cycles Exotic 60mm
Headset: FSA
Grips: Specialized
Brakes: Hayes Stroker Ryde
Front disc: 185mm
Rear Disc: 160mm
Seat: Specialized
Seat Post: Kalloy
Seat Post Clamp: Powerplay
Cranks: Deore HT2
Chainring(s): Deore 32t
Chain: SRAM
Rear Sprocket: Shimano 18t
Pedals: Wellgo
Bottom Bracket: Deore
Wheels: Mavic Crossride
Skewers: Shimano
Tyres: Specialized Eskar 2.3

Weight: Just shy of 28lb!!

IMAG0264.jpg
08 Pitch Pro
14 Kona Unit
Kona Kula SS
Trailstar SS
94 Univega Alpina 5.3

Comments

• Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Nice SS.

Good build too. Love the colour. :D
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i hate to admit this but my favourite bikes at the moment are all hardtails, and simple straight tubed ones at that (dont tell sonic)

that is fantastic looking, i dont know when it happened but im really liking bikes like that at the moment, good work fella.
  • snotty badger
    Cheers guys- I was going for the clean, simple look hence removing the cablestops and canti mounts.

Rides nice too, takes much less effort to lift the front end than the Pitch- almost put myself over the rear! I reckon I'll be mastering manuals again on this soon 8)

Forks are a little unrefined but they'll get changed at some point :wink:
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Anonymous
    im so tepmted to do a build like that but for me it would just be as something to own as opposed to somthing to ride
  • snotty badger
    Do it! As long as you don't go to over the top with bling think of it as a shopper/pub bike and therefore it is justified.

It seems quite pedaly at the minute but I think that might change once I hit the hilly lakedistrict! lol
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Anonymous
    someone has an onone scandal 26" on here and that is ace looking too, id be sorely tepmted by one of those but i just wouldnt ride it instead of any of the others.
  • snotty badger
    I suppose you do have quick a selection already!

You know you want one though :twisted:
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Anonymous
    i really really do but after having tried my best to see the attraction of ht bikes, i just really prefer fs.
  • I'll keep out for this bike and you when out in the Lakes then, shouldn't be too hard to spot. Looks real nice.
  • snotty badger
    Cheers pal- doubt you'll see another one like it!

My Pitch will always be first choice but I fancied a steel SS too, should prove more testing round these parts :lol:
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • nice bike, always fancied a fixied but for commuting, steel is the way :wink:
  • snotty badger
    UPDATE-
    Gone rigid! Its only getting used for commuting at the minute and the Judy 1's were shite! Gearings been getting swapped about a bit too- settled on 38-16 at the minute.

DSC00824.jpg

DSC00823.jpg

DSC00818.jpg

I might go 1x9 for off road use at some point soon but I prefer single speed for commuting- stops me working easier ratios..
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • snotty badger
    Oh and they're On-One Forks in Barry-White 8)
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    Very nice, looks (and rides I expect) much better with the rigid forks. I like the home made spacers too v.neat. Great job that.
  • snotty badger
    Cheers pal- certainly does ride better. The Judys felt like a pogo stick!
    Rigid forks have improved the braking too- and its lost about 3 1/2 lb- down to 26 and a bit, which giving the frame weight isn't too bad..
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • snotty badger
    I've swapped the stem for a carbon cycles aluminum one now- lost 208g!
    Not bad for £11.99 8)
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Love it now the rigids are on, seems to be more people doing this as the weeks go by. Have you hit any trails with it since the suspension came off?
  • snotty badger
    Not yet- just been riding to work. I think my knees would pop if I ventured off road round here!

I might make it 1x9 or just alter the ratio again. 1x9 would let me keep on commuting but I like the simplicity of SS'ing on road. :?

How do you find the dog offroad?
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Wow...nice work and nice bike.

Nice one.

Liam
  • Looking good, ive been thinking of building a singlespeed for commuting from the train station to my university and back. Looking good.
  • Cheers guys, I only use it for riding to work and the shops at the minute. I did venture off road with the Judys but they were shocking.

I should take it for a lap of Whinlatter- can see alot of pushing though :lol: :oops:
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Well until this year the DMR was only used for commuting, basically as it was last time I updated but with a pair of Schwalbe Kojaks.

After the Strathpuffer I stripped my Pitch down for a good winter service but wanted to get out on a bike. So being inspired by the nutter's on rigid SS during the event I swapped the gearing back to 32:18 and stuck my Eskars back on, and headed up Whinlatter.

IMAG0274.jpg

IMAG0266.jpg

IMAG0272.jpg

Apart from what felt like instant arm pump and seeing stars on the climbs it was enjoyable (in a webbo way).

Only walked a small part of the fire road climb, the snow was not helping!

I think I can live with SS but it needs some forks, which are on their way.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • snotty badger
    Well I managed to pick up some 09 Reba Race forks. Massive difference now, much more enjoyable, took me under 45 minutes to get round Whinlatter (North side), which I was happy with, overtook a few folk too!

P1010068.jpg

P1010072.jpg

Even though it rides nicely I feel the frame is a little too short. Also I'm paranoid about how much seatpost I have hanging out, quiet a bit of flex in given its only a 25.4. Coupled with the weight of the frame (just shy of 3kg?) I've picked up a Kona Kula (7005) frame to swap everything onto.

So the DMR will probably be having its last night ride this week..
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3