No Cavendish for Tour of Britain

afx237vi
afx237vi Posts: 12,630
edited August 2009 in Pro race

Comments

• Didn't fancy getting soaked everyday then :?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Same as last year...
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    The States are too big a market for Uncle Bob and Columbia to miss out on. And Cav is their star.

Shame though- it would have added so much to the Tour of Britain.

Anyone know if Wiggins is going to be there? (TofB I mean, not Missouri)
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Wiggins did the ToB last year, although he was with Columbia then.

The ToB haven't even announced the full list of teams yet. So far we only have;

* AG2R La Mondiale
    * Agritubel
    * Barloworld
    * CandiTV – Marshalls Pasta
    * Team Columbia – HTC
    * CSF Navigare
    * Team Halfords Bikehut
    * Rapha – Condor
    * Topsport Vlaanderen

No Garmin yet... although they were there last year.
  • As Afx says, Garmin and Wiggins were there last year, I'd guess they would be again. Can't imagine Wiggins is doing the Vuelta anyway!
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    Old wiggo was tweeting about liking the ToB route the other day
  • To be fair, if Cav did ride he'd probably go and clean up on half the stages. I'd rather have some variety to watch thanks :D
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    i think wiggo's tweet was, ahem, not entirely sincere.

it did seem like he thought he'd be riding though...
  • avalon
    avalon Posts: 345
    bipedal wrote:
    Old wiggo was tweeting about liking the ToB route the other day[/quote

Wots with the old wiggo yungun?
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    Tusher wrote:
    The States are too big a market for Uncle Bob and Columbia to miss out on. And Cav is their star.

I agree. They're an American team, a good showing on American soil is more important for them. It's a shame, though.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Cavendish is the second biggest name in cycling according to Bob Stapleton (you know who the first is) so they are going to bring their best team to make sure the sponsors ie billpayers are happy
    M.Rushton
  • mrushton wrote:
    Cavendish is the second biggest name in cycling according to Bob Stapleton (you know who the first is) so they are going to bring their best team to make sure the sponsors ie billpayers are happy

Kenny?!?
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Not as good as entry as last year.

No Garmin or Saxo Bank. Won't miss LPR though although bit of Italian flare with them and lovely De Rosa bikes.
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    afx237vi wrote:
    He's doing Missouri instead.
    Can't say I blame him .. the English have hardly been supportive.
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Will we get Boassan-Hagen instead?
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Gazzaputt wrote:
    Not as good as entry as last year.

No Garmin or Saxo Bank.

Huh? Wiggins has already said via his twitter how much he's 'looking forward' to the ToB, so that would mean Garmin are riding, as I can't seem him turning out for a GB squad.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Yes, he was pointing out the massive transfers between each stage, something that puts off a lot of riders.

Note that the Tour of Poland can get a semi-decent field but the Tour of Britain (60 million people, 6th largest economy in the world) can't attract the teams.
  • Kléber wrote:
    Yes, he was pointing out the massive transfers between each stage, something that puts off a lot of riders.

Note that the Tour of Poland can get a semi-decent field but the Tour of Britain (60 million people, 6th largest economy in the world) can't attract the teams.

Points win prizes.
  • Poland is ProTour/World Calendar or whatever it's called nowadays Kleber, so the ProTour teams have to ride it don't they? I'm pretty sure some of the teams wouldn't be taking part in Poland if they didn't have to.

Also they've got 21 teams riding, whereas the ToB is limited to less than 100 riders (ie 16 teams max, unless anyone starts with less than 6 riders) because of our road traffic laws. They've only announced 9 teams so far, so let's see what the final 16 looks like whenever the remainder get announced.