Cross Fell - Warcop

Tank-slapper
Tank-slapper Posts: 968
edited August 2009 in MTB rides
I might head up to the northern Pennines at the end of this month for a spot of adventurous XCing. As it is such a long way, I'll be going for a weekend. It just so happens that 29th/30th August is an access weekend for the Warcop area so Sunday will be spent around there. On Saturday I will probably do the Trout Beck - Garrigill - Cross Fell circuit.

Anyone who fancies joining up for either day or both is more than welcome (Topsey?).

I will be camping. Not sure where yet, but it will be somewhere between Appleby and Penrith. The Sunday ride may involve a lot of walking/bullet dodging.

Comments

• Hi Tank slapper. I've still not got there, largely due to the weather being p*ss poor. Now it looks like being dry for a while I've pencilled in next Saturday, although might be persuaded to delay. However Garrigill is a long way round for me, so I was going to start from Dufton, even that is a 2.5 hour drive. Planned route was Dufton, High Cup, Trout Beck Cross Fell and return on a yet to be decided route.

How does that fit in with you?
    Frank Yates
  • Hi

I was going to start the Saturday ride from Dufton as well. The plan was to go up the road to the golfball on Great Dun Fell, down Trout Beck and over to Garrigill. Come back up the track past Greggs Hut, plummet down to Kirkland and take the road back to Dufton.

The Sunday plan was to start from Dufton as well. Go down the road to Hilton, up Scordale Beck, over to Maize Beck and come back down past High Cup Gill. Or, continue round Mickle Fell via Holwick and Lune Dale if the conditions allow.

Would your route go round Cowgreen Res and across Metalband Hill?
  • Tank-slapper
    edited August 2009
    repeat post
  • Tank-slapper
    edited August 2009
    another repeat post
  • Tank-slapper
    edited August 2009
    yes, another one
  • Tank-slapper
    edited August 2009
    and the last one
  • Excuse me if I only answer once! Yep, indeed. Route is roughly Dufton to High Cup, then Pennine Way to Cow Green. Round the North of the resr to cross Metalband Hill, then up Trout Beck to the Golf Balls. Along the ridge to Cross Fell and more than likely come back from Tees Head over Wildboar Scar to Blencarn. I've never done that last bit, but it's supposed to be a super descent.
    Frank Yates
  • Have you ever crossed from Green Hurth to Metalband Hill before?
  • For half a mile there is only the vague outline of a track. That's why I want to do it dry. I've seen, but can't find, piccies of a group ride across there.
    Frank Yates
  • OK, sounds like an adventure and my kind of ride. Would you be willing to wait till the end of the month and we can do it together? The weather would be a bit of a gamble, but when isn't it?
  • By month end I presume you mean Sat 29th? Can do that. Start approx 9AM from Dufton, as we could be out for 6/7 hours?

I hope you're not a racing snake, because I'm certainly not. I'll get round at a decent pace and 30/35 miles won't phase me but I'm not some mountain biking hero. I'm cussed, bloody minded or pig headed enough not to be beaten by the route, but I won't be racing. I'm going out to enjoy myself!

As to the weather - Cross Fell has it's own micro climate, and there is quite often a cloud cap on it when everywhere else is clear. Luck of the draw I suppose.

PMs in the week before to finalise? Not sure if there are mobile signals in Dufton.

Anyone else reading this who wants to tag along?
    Frank Yates
  • Yes, Saturday the 29th, 9am in Dufton. Looking forward to it. Yes, PMs in the week before to finalise.

I will be going for the weekend (maybe longer) and will arrive Friday evening. I will probably camp at the campsite in Dufton itself as it is conveniently located and has a hot shower. If you are up for a ride on Sunday as well, throw a tent in.

No, I am not in it for the competition - only fun.
  • Excellent. It's in the diary. Sorry, but I can't do Sunday, will have to come home Saturday after the ride.
    Frank Yates
  • No problem about Sunday. See you on the 29th.
  • For the sake of completeness and the extremely remote possibility that anyone else was contemplating joining us for this ride - don't bother because it has been cancelled (rain, gales and bogs stopped play).

Cheers anyway
  • The Sunday ride may involve a lot of walking/bullet dodging.
    Sure would :?
    Good call :P