Wild Edric on sunday?

wicked
wicked Posts: 844
Anyone doing the kilo to go Wild Edric sportive on sunday? Had a spin around a lot of the route today as these are my regular training roads, all I can say is if you have climbing wheels better bring em!
It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    wicked wrote:
    Anyone doing the kilo to go Wild Edric sportive on sunday? Had a spin around a lot of the route today as these are my regular training roads, all I can say is if you have climbing wheels better bring em!

No, but Im up for it next year...I fancy testing myself on Asterton Bank....
  • wicked
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    wicked wrote:

No, but Im up for it next year...I fancy testing myself on Asterton Bank....

A test indeed. I must point out that I do not ride up that leg breaker although I have been known to ride down it! :D
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • hewg
    hewg Posts: 17
    I'm doing the Wild Edric too. Just had a look at the route on an OS map and it looks like it could be quite a painful day out! Also found this write up on Asterton Bank: http://www.whitehorsepulverbatch.co.uk/ ... 20Bank.pdf
  • skinsey
    skinsey Posts: 105
    Yep, I'm doing it. First proper ride back after 3 months off with back and knee problems, so approaching it with a bit of trepidation. Suspect I'll stick to the shorter route...

Weather looks good anyway.
  • skinsey
    skinsey Posts: 105
    The weather was indeed famtastic. And I did do the 68 miler (although I think it was closer to 72) rather than the longer route. That was quite enough today thanks. Chapeau to those who did do the long route. I thought it was quite a brute of a ride. Not only were there lots of short (and not so short) sharp uphills, but you couldn't really make it up on the downhills because of a) the narrow roads, b) the corners and c) all the grit and other detritus that was on the road.

I've also never done a ride where I've seen such a high proportion of riders climbing a hill (maybe because I haven't done the FWC) - there were only 1 or 2 brave/strong/both riders who made it up Asterton Bank that I saw, with the bulk walking at some point.

The scenery was fantastic, all the route signs seemed to still be in place, Kilotogo's organisation seemed good as usual, so it's fair to say I enjoyed the day. Don't think I'll do it again on that route though - not because of the climbing, but because of my frustration with the descents - the roads and road surfaces just were not good enough.
  • I agree with skinsey. I did the long route and It was a hard day out. Actually it's got to be one of the hardest on the calender. The road surfaces were terrible. The whole route was very technical and dangerous. Some bits were actually just daft - the climb section about 5 miles before the second feed must have been 20-25% and was virtually a dirt track. It took everything I could muster to keep my wheel from spinning out. Beautiful countryside, great organisation, feeds ok. Shame so few people turned up - maybe they knew what was coming. Next year I think kilo to go should have a serious think about the route- lots of steep climbs & descents are fine but they really should have an eye on safety. Most of the roads were treacherous. Great day out though.
  • wicked
    Funny but I have never really noticed that the roads are dangerous (these are my local training routes that I ride every week) supposed I am just used to them.
    I was the guy coming the other way today by the way, down castle hill if anyone noticed. Saw Howie coming up! Lost count of the times I was told I was going the wrong way!
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I dont suppose Kilotogo are alone in creating routes that sometimes are more MTB then road.
    This is the problem in the UK... to get away from traffic, routes are up single track roads with bad surfaces and lots of country on them.. this means that descents under trees shading large potholes have to be done with extreme caution and ruin the pleasure of a safe fast descent.. but thats the price to pay to get away from lots and lots of cars.

Also means that wearing white kit is a no no even in hi summer when the temp does go over 20c there is always a fresh cow pat to catch you out!
  • hewg
    hewg Posts: 17
    As anticipated this was a really tough route and I didn't enjoy it much to be honest. Beautiful part of the world, perfect weather but I just became increasingly disheartened by the 100 miles of steep ascents/steep descents, many of which were on dodgy surfaces and I was pretty glad once it was all over. Still, all useful miles I suppose so hopefully it's done me some good!
  • smitton
    smitton Posts: 13
    Have to agree with the previous post. This was not a pleasant day out for a number of reasons. I am all in favour of testing climbs on a sportive like this but frankly the route was shocking. I fail to understand what the point of turning the sportive in to a walk which it most certainly was for the vast majority, especially on the 97 mile (actually >100 miles) route. Most people had given up counting the number of times they had to get off and walk. All very dishearting.
    What is the point of getting riders to the 80 or 90 mile point and still throwing in hills so severe that the riders have to walk. I did the 97 mile route but wish that I had opted for the 67 mile route. No, on second thoughts change that, I wish I hadn't entered at all!
    The decents on the very poor road surfaces meant that going down was just as unpleasant as going up. I think Kilotogo have under estimated the severity of this ride in that they had to extend the close of the timing gate so long.
    Food stops were poor, the usual bananas and isotonic but what is the point of kitkats and mars sponge cakes when it's 70+ degrees. Melted mess. No toilet facilities at the first feeding station. Intermediate signage was also poor. There were so few riders on the event that I cycled for hours on my own often unsure if I was actually still on the correct route.
    I hear that there may have been as few as 166 starts which is sad as a properly chosen route could make this one of the best rides of the year. I for one will not be back again if the route has not improved. Sorry Kilotogo but you need a major rethink over this one otherwise word will get around. My worst sportive of the season.
  • I walked up Asterton Bank yesterday, and one of the other little hills that popped up round a corner, and had been feeling quite glum that I decided to bail at the decision point and do the short route (72 miles btw not 68), and agree with all the posts about the state of the roads and the descents.

But I think everyone who finished yesterday, no everyone who gave it a fair crack, deserves a pat on the back (big, big chapeau to the man in blue who cycled Asterton) and despite all the difficulties there was still that "together in adversity" stuff you get from riding in large groups. (When I wasn't cycling on my own, haha).

One day, all of us will tell stories about the day we did the 2009 Wild Edric.
    “I ride my bicycle to ride my bicycle.”

http://mendiprouleur.blogspot.com/
  • That for me was a hard DNF. Every event this year I have suffered from "cramps". Joe Beer is convinced it is muscle spasms and not cramp. Finally we I put my training bike next to my sportive bike, and a 20mm difference in saddle height. So I ramped up the saddle.
    Big mistake. The hills were brutal, and with only 2 hours on the bike in 2 weeks, preparation was not ideal.
    I was struggling along nicely until Asterton Bank. What a walk and descent. My bitty was twitching faster than a rabbits nose sniffing glue!
    Unfotunately I came across a nasty fall for one of the ladies. Ambulance had arrived and she was being taken to hospital. I hope she is ok.
    After 35 miles the back of my left knee was feeling every pedal stroke, so I baled out. Still had another 10 miles back to the sports centre.
    I agree with many of the comments, hills were hard, descents very technical, scenery amazing but unrelenting undulations killed me. I had a massage once I was back at the centre and that helped a lot.
    Just need to sort the saddle height now.
    Next up is the New Forest Rattler.
    Just a fat bloke on a bike
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Ditto Smitton & Hewg; a very contrived route too if you knew the area with at least two `bag height `type climbs :( (ie back up after 2nd feed up to Long Mtn 1:5 climb, and back to The Bog / Stiperstones at 90 miles). Road surfaces very poor, but that is Shropshire back lanes for you, and too many 1:4 - 1:5 walls which are just a test of brute strength (OK I rode them all but didn`t enjoy them!).
    Poor surfaces on descents taxing and trying.
    Shropshire AONB area has so much more to offer as well and it`s a pity that this route didn`t deliver the full scope of riding that can be achieved here.
    Lack of any savouries at food stops a downer too---do organisers not read comments about food variety at feed stations :x . As above my worst event of the year that I`ve ridden, a real shame too. Having ridden both Richmond 5 Dales and 3 Counties this year they were by comparison streets ahead of this one and they cost the same !
  • JamesB
    Anyone seen any photos / results posted yet?
  • idw
    idw Posts: 11
    there is a link to them on the kilotogo website.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    JamesBwmb wrote:
    Ditto Smitton & Hewg; a very contrived route
    Shropshire AONB area has so much more to offer as well and it`s a pity that this route didn`t deliver the full scope of riding that can be achieved here.
    I live in Shrewsbury and, knowing most of the route, came to a similar conclusion.
    do organisers not read comments about food variety at feed stations
    some do, some don't (and don't care). After reading about the cheap junk provided at the Cheshire Cat earlier in the year I wouldn't give this shower my money anyway.

If you want to try riding around here look at the Shropshire Highlands, Autumn Epic and Epic's Spring wotsit. Or DIY, of course. And anyone looking for a top quality feed stop might like to check The Bog visitor centre in the old school, on the West side of the Stiperstones :D
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • JamesB
    Yes having ridden all three of those events you won`t go wrong with any of them. :D .Shropshire Highlands is a real fun laid back ride , a sort of club run or less pace and route, I think, is changed every year too. Autumn Epic doesn`t quite come up to the Edric area but is great anyway :D
  • Also the infamous 200km audax, the Kidderminster Killer passes through that direction on 13th September. It first passes over Clee Hill before heading off towards Asterton Bank, back over the Long Mynd, Stiperstones, The Bog, Kerry Ridgeway, Clun, Ludlow and Tenbury.

I rode this for a few quid a couple of years ago and it was fantastic. Just a word of warning though, it is not for the faint hearted hill climbers as the route is fairly much a war of attrition. I already have my entry in for this year and it only cost a few quid.
  • simon_e
    Also the infamous 200km audax, the Kidderminster Killer
    Philip, I resisted the urge to mention the A-word.

However, anyone fancying a ride that's a bit like a sportive in the area might wish to investigate the 'Discovering Shropshire' and 'Beyond Shropshire' audaxes (118 and 206 km respectively), starting a few miles East of Shrewsbury on 27th September. Entry fee is £4.50.

http://www.cycleshropshire.org.uk/audaxrides.htm

No, I didn't put the dot in the wrong place, it's Four Pounds and Fifty Pence.
  • Simon E wrote:
    However, anyone fancying a ride that's a bit like a sportive in the area might wish to investigate the 'Discovering Shropshire' and 'Beyond Shropshire' audaxes (118 and 206 km respectively), starting a few miles East of Shrewsbury on 27th September. Entry fee is £4.50.

http://www.cycleshropshire.org.uk/audaxrides.htm

No, I didn't put the dot in the wrong place, it's Four Pounds and Fifty Pence.

I was hoping to ride this too, but I am away on my hols. I heard some positive reports about this event last year.
  • JamesB
    Simon, thanks for that I may well give the 206 k a go---even if it nearly goes past my front door in radnor!! :D
  • simon_e
    JamesBwmb wrote:
    Simon, thanks for that I may well give the 206 k a go---even if it nearly goes past my front door in radnor!! :D
    So you can get the cakes in - everyone can stop at yours on the way round :)