Sportive on MTB?

ST1234
ST1234 Posts: 6
I am going to do the Blenhem Palace Sportive (October 4th) on a road bike. My girlfriend is keen to do it on a MTB with slicks, as she hasn't got a road bike.

Is this a good idea? This will be our first sportive, though we've done long rides like this before, eg. Dunwich Dynamo.

Comments

• 100 miles on an mtb... ? I've seen it done. Might mean she ends up tucking in behind you as her legs will be going 10 to the dozen with 26" wheels.

Go for it, why not?! Find some super slicks and ones that you can get a good amount of psi into...

Or hire a road bike for the weekend ?!? :shock:

enjoy it!
    “Look where you want to go. Not where you are going”
  • dmb101
    dmb101 Posts: 16
    no reason why not, overtaken by a slicked up mtb on the etape
  • i did the Tour of wessex (day 3) and Highclere on a MTB with slicks on .....and i wished i done the Tour of black Mountains and the Marmotte on it too.......all those extra gears when the road steepens makes life a lot easier when the legs tire ...plus the more upright position makes it a more comfortable day in the saddle!!...ok , they may be a tad slower but does it matter...finishing is all that matters.

Your girlfriend won't be the only one on a MTB doing the ride...there's normally at least 10 riders or so on MTB's....if the weathers wet i'll be there on mine (When wet ,there is more debris on the road and with a good MTB slick tyre you will reduce your chance of a flat)

I think you'll find one of the reasons people do Sportives is to see other parts of the country in an organised event with a pre planned route(thats me ).....the reasons for entering have nothing to do with getting a fast average....so don't worry about being odd bod out...she will not be alone !

Sportives are not races , they are a day out on the bike meeting fellow cyclists.....enjoy :P
  • I've done a mountainous one in Wales on a lightish hardtail MTB. No great time, but felt fine spinning my ultra low gears on the 20%+ comedy gradients while others laboured up on their road bikes.

So start early and take it at a relaxed pace and it should be OK.