Nibali and Pellizotti sue Fanini

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited August 2009 in Pro race
Over his claims they work with Dr Ferrari

VN is surprising
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• In what respect surprising?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    I would think surprising that Nibali would be linked to Ferrari, given VN's stance on the doping issue.
  • celbianchi wrote:
    I would think surprising that Nibali would be linked to Ferrari, given VN's stance on the doping issue.

Surely then it is unsurprising that he's sueing?

I was puzzled as Iain seemed to be falling into the trap of assuming if somebody points a finger at a cyclist, it must be true.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    This is just a repeat of something that seems to happen all the time. One person says another works with someone who they shouldn't, they sue, it goes away, repeat.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    Fanini does seem to have good contacts with who is working with Ferrari though. He's identified a few of the secretive doctor's clients in the past.

Have either of them been seen training in non team kit in the Engadine valley? :wink:
  • iainf72
    As Andyp says, Fanini has called out quite a few of his clients in the past.

Nibs would be surprising but I'm sure I saw a link to FP somewhere in the past.

Nibali said he's never even met Ferrari according to the Procycling tweets.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    celbianchi wrote:

Surely then it is unsurprising that he's sueing?

I was puzzled as Iain seemed to be falling into the trap of assuming if somebody points a finger at a cyclist, it must be true.

In here thats generally enough for certain posters to state with some certainty that cyclist x or y is on the juice.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Seeing as two riders deem it serious enough to legal action, can we now agree that it's a slur on someone's reputation to even be linked to Ferrari via a rumour? That's a step in the right direction.

I mean, I don't think Nibali and Pellizotti are hideously embarrassed by being linked to the good Doctor's training plans...
  • iainf72
    afx237vi wrote:
    Seeing as two riders deem it serious enough to legal action, can we now agree that it's a slur on someone's reputation to even be linked to Ferrari via a rumour? That's a step in the right direction.

Exactly. Depends whether the suit is about it being a lie or not wanting it public. If it's the former then, as you say, it's good.

Anyway, here's a bit more on it

http://www.ciclonews.it/news_scheda.php?id=18595

It's Eugenio Capodacqua again . The claim was that VN and FP were seeing training being followed by the Myth on a scooter with a stop watch. It was confirmed by Liquigas they were training in Livigno at the time.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    The suit is a defamation suit. So it can't be about the publicity, only about the truth of the actual allegation.
  • iainf72
    The suit is a defamation suit. So it can't be about the publicity, only about the truth of the actual allegation.

Indeed. I was doing some research into it and forgot to update my original statement after reading the article.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Capodcqua's usually pretty good on these things. But the dottorissimo on a scooter with a stopwatch? That's a bit old-skool, he was known to follow Armstrong's Tour de France SRM data by telemetry, he could be a thousand miles away.

Still, as we see even being linked to Ferrari is enough to get some riders speedialling their lawyers to issue denials, such is the man's infamous reputation.