Do I need a torque wrench?

alomac
alomac Posts: 189
edited August 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

It's time for me to adjust my cockpit set up, which will involve reinstalling the badly installed stem faceplate, and repositioning the levers and shifters. I was going to buy a torque wrench for this job, but I noticed that on the 'assemble your new bike' workshop video, the demonstator just used normal allen keys.

Is this a good idea? My MTB budget is pretty dry, so if I can avoid buying the wrench then so much the better, but at the same time I wouldn't want to compromise my safety or the bike's.

Cheers,
Adam.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Unless you can judge the torques by hand, they can be useful with parts liek this.

I have hardly ever used a torque wrnech, but have good feel because I have built 100s of bikes.
  • alomac
    alomac Posts: 189
    Off I go to order a torque wrench, then...

Cheersm
    Adam
  • AdrianW
    AdrianW Posts: 13
    Check out screwfix they have some good wrenches at reasonable prices, 5-25NM at £30 which is perfect for most MTB applications
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    Going out on a limb here, I disagree with SS :oops: :shock: :oops:

I have a torque wrench, but only bought it because I was assembling my first fully carbon bike

previous to that I have always worked with normal tools and have never had problems (at least not ones that a torque wrench would have avoided)

If you're assembling carbon parts then OK, otherwise it's a nice tool to have but I would spend the 30 quid on something else if on a tight budget
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Like I say, if you are a good jusdge of torque, you don't really need one with a bike. If not, they can be handy with delicate parts.