Di Luca nonsense

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited August 2009 in Pro race
Right, keep up with this now.

A lab in Barcelona found DDL didn't test positive. However, they're not accreditted to do the CERA test (so about as much value as me tasting said urine and declaring him innocent)

Meanwhile, a re-test of other samples from the Giro has yielded a 3'rd positive for CERA from DDL.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Who commissioned the test in barcelona? Wouldn't be DDL would it by amy chance? Or am I just being cynical? :wink:
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    How did they got hold of the samples to test?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    iainf72 wrote:

A lab in Barcelona found DDL didn't test positive. However, they're not accreditted to do the CERA test (so about as much value as me tasting said urine and declaring him innocent)

Meanwhile, a re-test of other samples from the Giro has yielded a 3'rd positive for CERA from DDL.

I'm not sure I can keep up. Too much information and not enough brain storage space left.
    I'm going to have to have a decade or so deleted just to keep up. Maybe the 50's?
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Another podium spot for Sastre. And BTW, Andy Schleck has TWO victories this year as far as I'm concerned. He won La Flèche Wallonne.
  • FOAD
    FOAD Posts: 318
    iainf72 wrote:

According to the UCI you are talking utter bollocks....

So it's probably true
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    "Lab In Spain Unable To Detect Doping Products" is hardly an astonishing headline, is it?

They're probably just fine-tuning their testing protocols for the Vuelta.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    Looks like the UCI are taking it extra serious and having the B tests done elsewhere. Good idea IMO.
  • iainf72
    DaveyL wrote:
    "Lab In Spain Unable To Detect Doping Products" is hardly an astonishing headline, is it?

Do you mean the same Spain that caught Heras, Hamilton and Santi Perez?

:wink:
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    iainf72 wrote:
    DaveyL wrote:

Do you mean the same Spain that caught Heras, Hamilton and Santi Perez?

:wink:

Heras was the Madrid lab :-)

Hamilton was a slam dunk - he'd already tested +ve at the Olympics but they couldn't do him because the B sample hadn't been stored properly. They knew he'd still have some of Santi's blood so the Vuleta control was a gift. As was Santi's.

Recent podiums from the Vuleta make interesting reading. I particularly like the Vinokourov/Valverde/Kashechkin one.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    iainf72 wrote:
    Looks like the UCI are taking it extra serious and having the B tests done elsewhere. Good idea IMO.

"On Wednesday the Irishman (Mcquaid) dismissed as false an internet report that said that Di Luca’s 2009 Giro B samples had been declared negative by a laboratory in Barcelona."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-wants-2008-giro-samples-re-tested-for-cera
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    It doesn't appear they were ever sent to Barcelona.
  • jim one
    jim one Posts: 183
    B samples positive.

http://www.velonews.com/article/96439/d ... s-positive

Lets see how he worms his way out of this 1
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    best quote so far - he threatened to stop riding if the B sample came back positive.

maybe someone should explain it all to him again?
  • dennisn
    I just don't follow why everyone seems so astonished that he would continue to deny, deny, deny. It's a total loss for him if he admits anything. At least fighting it(guilty or not)
    he stands a chance of being cleared. I'm on his side. Make these labs and testing people prove that what they have found is clear,cut,and dried. He does have a right to this. If found guilty then he's guilty, serves his time in excile(so to speak), and can race again if he chooses. That's how it's set up. People on this forum may demand his head but the best(or worst) that will happen is a ban. The headhunters will have to deal with that.
  • dennisn wrote:
    I just don't follow why everyone seems so astonished that he would continue to deny, deny, deny. It's a total loss for him if he admits anything. At least fighting it(guilty or not)
    he stands a chance of being cleared. I'm on his side. Make these labs and testing people prove that what they have found is clear,cut,and dried. He does have a right to this. If found guilty then he's guilty, serves his time in excile(so to speak), and can race again if he chooses. That's how it's set up. People on this forum may demand his head but the best(or worst) that will happen is a ban. The headhunters will have to deal with that.

Isn't this what Landis, Hamilton, Vinoukourov, Kascheschkin, Rasmussen and countless others did, which just made the sport (and themselves) look bad?

Whereas the ones who have held their hands up and said "Fair cop, you got me" have come back to generally open arms? I'm thinking here of Millar for one, and (Sinkewitz), Simeoni, Sella and Ricco.

Let's just not mention Bella Jorg eh?
  • jim one
    jim one Posts: 183
    dennisn wrote:

Isn't this what Landis, Hamilton, Vinoukourov, Kascheschkin, Rasmussen and countless others did, which just made the sport (and themselves) look bad?

Whereas the ones who have held their hands up and said "Fair cop, you got me" have come back to generally open arms? I'm thinking here of Millar for one, and (Sinkewitz), Simeoni, Sella and Ricco.

Not sure Sinkewitz should be mentioned in that sentence either. He says he would not come out again and admit all and also found it very hard to get a place on a team. Hopefully now he has shown he can ride clean to a high level some bigger team will pick him up in a domestique role.

There are many examples where it has been easier not to admit the truth. Perhaps the best case of this is Basso who kept his mouth shut (although I suppose did partly admit to being in the wrong) and then got a ride as if he hadn't been away.
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:

Open arms from WHOM?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    dennisn wrote:
    I know what you mean, that's the right position for Di Luca to take from his selfish standpoint but morally, surely it's wrong?

He may not be a big name in the US but in Italy these people are held up as champions and seen as role models to many, especially young kids in Italy, yet when they get caught they behave like weasels, resorting to some audacious excuses and bold denials which only compound their cheating.
  • PauloBets
    PauloBets Posts: 108
    this guy ssurely hould be banned for life, not 2 or 4 years?
  • OK, maybe open arms was the wrong phrase (apart from in Millar's case) but generally those dopers who denied and denied have been more derided than those who admitted they were in the wrong.
  • dennisn
    Kléber wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    I know what you mean, that's the right position for Di Luca to take from his selfish standpoint but morally, surely it's wrong?

He may not be a big name in the US but in Italy these people are held up as champions and seen as role models to many, especially young kids in Italy, yet when they get caught they behave like weasels, resorting to some audacious excuses and bold denials which only compound their cheating.

Yes, it is morally wrong to deny , deny,..... IF you're guilty. It's what people do. Not admit they were wrong. Prisons are full of innocent people, or so the prisoners would like you to believe.
    As for role models. Why should an athelete be a good role model, just because he won a race or two? Parents are responsible for their children and to push kids toward this type of role model is crazy. Role models should be people you trust, people you know, people who will and are there for you when you need them. Not someone who's, quite simply, never there for them.
  • dennisn
    PauloBets wrote:

I thought the rule was two years? In most cases. You may want him out for life but
    the rules say.....
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    PauloBets wrote:

I thought the rule was two years? In most cases. You may want him out for life but
    the rules say.....

that depends if they consider his previous 3 month ban when deciding on his punishment....
  • PauloBets
    PauloBets Posts: 108
    maybe jail Di Luca for a few weeks? Worked for Zulle
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    dennisn wrote:
    . Role models should be people you trust, people you know, people who will and are there for you when you need them. Not someone who's, quite simply, never there for them.

Bloody hell, that's a sensible thing to say Dennis! :shock: :wink:

Unfortunately people will build sportsmen up to be role models. I enjoy what they do, but I'd never call them role models, a bit like actors, singers or whatever other non-essential job. Let's face it, the people who pick our food are infinitely more important to us, so maybe we should give our children posters of Lithuanians working in our fields to put on their walls.

Regarding Di Luca, why the hell would anyone touch CERA now? It reminds me of the time that Wayne Rooney got himself sent off for sarcastically applauding the referee, then 4 days later David Beckham got himself sent off for exactly the same thing. Monkey see, monkey do. :roll:
  • dennisn
    johnfinch wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    . Role models should be people you trust, people you know, people who will and are there for you when you need them. Not someone who's, quite simply, never there for them.

Unfortunately people will build sportsmen up to be role models. I enjoy what they do, but I'd never call them role models, a bit like actors, singers or whatever other non-essential job. Let's face it, the people who pick our food are infinitely more important to us, so maybe we should give our children posters of Lithuanians working in our fields to put on their walls.

Regarding Di Luca, why the hell would anyone touch CERA now? It reminds me of the time that Wayne Rooney got himself sent off for sarcastically applauding the referee, then 4 days later David Beckham got himself sent off for exactly the same thing. Monkey see, monkey do. :roll:

It's kind of odd. Here in the States you will hear sports newscasters talk about what a great role model this or that player is. And he may in fact be a good one, to his own children and relatives children and a few others. However, to have someone like this for your own childs role model is kind of weird. Hopefully parents are good people and their children grow up knowing that they can rely on them as oppossed to someone who plays baseball for the New York Yankees. My role models are the people who have helped me in my life. Not some picture on the TV. The parent who came and got me when my bike broke down, forty miles from home. Try getting a "role model" cyclist to do that for you. :wink:

As for CERA, who would be that dumb? I'm sure someone will be. :wink:
  • You will never stop kids idolizing the top guys in the sports they love it natural. The question you have to ask is does the sportsmen have an obligation to the general public to be above reproach considering the huge amounts (admitting not that huge in cycling circles) ? I tend to believe that these guys are in a privilaged position and they should be held up to some pretty high standards. Having said all that i think its better to steer kids in the direction of people that are actually there for them and not just some company poster boy. I dont understand how Di Luca Valverde and co. can deny when there is clear and irrefutable evidence that they doped your waiting for them to crack at some point and start laughing in mid denial.
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    Surely they must take his 3 month bad into account, so it has to be greater than 2 yrs?
  • dennisn
    You will never stop kids idolizing the top guys in the sports they love it natural. The question you have to ask is does the sportsmen have an obligation to the general public to be above reproach considering the huge amounts (admitting not that huge in cycling circles) ? I tend to believe that these guys are in a privilaged position and they should be held up to some pretty high standards. Having said all that i think its better to steer kids in the direction of people that are actually there for them and not just some company poster boy. I dont understand how Di Luca Valverde and co. can deny when there is clear and irrefutable evidence that they doped your waiting for them to crack at some point and start laughing in mid denial.

You're right about kids(and teenagers, and some adults). I remember my "heroes". Jimmy Clark(F1 driver) and Larry Scott(bodybuilder). Strange combination, I know, but........
    Should these guys be held to a higher standard? Maybe, but I think the question is CAN
    they be held to a higher standard? They are, after all, only humans, like you and I. With all
    the warts and faults that we all are "blessed" with.
    As for denial. There are bunches of people who have denied guilt even though the, so called, smoking gun was still in their hand. Human nature I guess.