Full suspension for £1000 or less

macca77
macca77 Posts: 8
edited August 2009 in MTB beginners
Yes, you guessed it - cycle to work scheme is active.

I've trawled through the forums, read reviews but am still a little unsure. Was originally after a hardtail, but been talked round to a full sus. Will be doing a fair mix of stuff, but hope to be spending more time offroad as I refamiliarise myself (it's been 10 years).

The scheme at work uses Halfords (am seeing if they can change to use a LBS), so the obvious choice is the Boardman FS Team.
http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtbfs/fs_team.html

The bikes above and below (Pro/Comp) received great reviews, but I am also considering a Specialized FSR XC Comp and the Giant Trance X5. I have to admit on looks alone the Specialized would be the winner and comes with a great frame, but the rest of the kit seems rather below what the Boardman has.

Any opinion/help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    All are very good bikes! Perhaps the three best sellers as this price point.

The Boardman gets the best kit, but I'd guess the frames on the other are a bit lighter.

Try them out?
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Def try them all,

Im always a bit skeptical of sub 1k FS bikes, as its alot of trade off... though you are right the specialized has a fairly decent frame. Try them and ride them. but i'd also be tempted at that priceto try a couple of hard tails :)
  • I'm not sure what the boardman bikes ride like but they come with some good kit for the money.
  • ji_
    ji_ Posts: 38
    I had the same choice - there used to be a few others, but most have now moved just over the £1K mark, and my scheme doesn't allow a top up.

I went for the Boardman- kit is amazing,and it rides really well. Change the saddle (and probably tyres) and there is really nothing left to upgrade.
    www.louthnet.com/LAMB - Louth Area Mountain Bikers
  • macca77
    macca77 Posts: 8
    Thanks for all the info/advice.

I have since checked with work and the only approved outlet is Halford's, which is a bit of a shame. Still you can order any bike, but I do wonder if the markup will exceed that of a LBS.

My gut feeling is for the moment is to go along with the Boardman and upgrade components as I progress. I will hopefully be able to find a LBS that will service/upgrade the bike. One LBS got back to me and said they only service bikes purchased in shop - which I found quite disappointing, others have been very dismissive of the Boardman - bike snobbery maybe!??

Any recommendations of a good LBS in the West Midlands?
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    With Halfords you'll simply get the RRP of the bike. Still with C2W savings taken into account it's a bloody bargain.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.