TT Warm Ups

disgruntledgoat
disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
edited August 2009 in Amateur race
I'm trying to achieve my last racing goal of the season (having failed at everything else!) of going under 20 minutes for a 6 mile mountain Time Trial, I would also like to finally get under 24 minutes for a ten.

I've addressed my position, cadance, training etc but I think my warm up could do with some examination too, particularly given that there is a 2/3 minute hill climb coming up soon as well.

Basically for my warm-up for 10s and the mountain route, i've been doin 4 minutes building to 85% of max HR then a 1 minute interval at my 10 pace (90-95%), 1 minute recovery then another interval and finally another 3 minutes riding at about 85%. This usually leaves me about 5 or 6 minutes unitl my start which i spend rolling my legs over in a really easy ger at about 55%-60% of max HR.

Is this doing me any good at all? Or do I need to rethink?
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

Comments

• SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I would say the structure of the warm up is fine, but you are only spending 9 minutes warming up, I spend about 30 mins warming up.

The firsst 15 mins would just be spinning in a lowish gear to wake the legs up, I would then change up and build some speed up to a 1 to 2 min TT effort. I would then keep up a tempo level until the next 1 to 2 min TT effort, probably about 25 mins in. Last 5 mins or so would be at a tempo level.

Depending on where the start is in relation to the HQ (I use a turbo to warm up on), I would leave between 5 and 10 mins to ride to the start.

I think you need to experiment with different warm ups to see what suits you best over the season.

However, the warm up isn't likely to lop a lot of time off a TT, good quality training will do this.