Transmission help needed please!

philsimm
philsimm Posts: 97
edited August 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi ,

I have recently changed my chainset to a 9 speed (22/32/44 tooth combo) from an 8 speed (22/32/42) but left all of the other transmission unchanged from 8 speed. The problem i have is that the chain seems to be very slack on the smallest chainring and rubs against the bottom of the front derailleur cage.

I had already adjusted the height of the front derailleur so as to leave a 2mm gap between the cage and chainring tooth.

Will i need to adjust the spring tension of the rear derailleur to take up any slack in the chain when on the small chainring or will i need to take some links out of the chain?

Thanks

Phil

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as you have fitted a bigger chain ring (44 was 42) you should actually fit a longer chain.

so your problem is somewhere else. (and you are not having this problem when in the Small front cog and rear cog are you? as you should not use that combo and yes you would have problems).

What else have you changed?

re setting up the front mech re read the how too on Parktools
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • philsimm
    Hi Nick,

No changed nothing else - all original 8 speed parts including the chain although i do have a 9 speed front mech that i can fit if you think that will make a difference.

I can't understand as the small front chainring (22 t) is the same on the whether it's a 8 or 9 speed isn't it?

Would there usually be chain rub on small front cog/small rear cog anyway?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    keep with the front mech as is a 9spd will cause more problems.
    Would there usually be chain rub on small front cog/small rear cog anyway?

Yes.

Like I said you do really need a new Longer chain as you have a bigger big cog.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    "Would there usually be chain rub on small front cog/small rear cog anyway?"

There is absolutely no need to use that gear. Select the middle front cog and a larger rear cog.
  • philsimm
    Thanks SS, yup - i know now that i'm never gonna use that gear in a real world situ. Should have guessed that at the start really :oops:

Thanks for all your help guys - much appreciated.

Now if i can just stop falling off with these clipless pedals.............................