can someone explain to me the 3 into 1 UCI rule

northernneil
northernneil Posts: 1,549
edited August 2009 in Pro race
what does it mean ? seen it written in cycling press but without an explanation of what it means, therefore I am non the wiser.

Many Thanks

Comments

• deal
    deal Posts: 857
    should provide the information required

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/c ... rule-20431
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    The rule limits an aerodynamic form’s aspect ratio to a maximum of three-to-one, meaning that a bicycle frame, or component on that frame, may not have a profile deeper than three times its width.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Basically the UCI are threatened by anything that progresses bike design in case it makes people faster than the 60's legends who we should all hold up as gods. So they ban anything that makes anyone faster.

Because bike design has to be held back for the good of the sport. :rolleyes:
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    I thought it was something to do with the blessed holy cycling trinity. You know, there is Lance who is both God and at the same time God's representative on Earth, doing saintly deeds, then there is Pat McQuaid who is also God, sitting on his heavenly UCI throne controlling everything, whilst Hein Veebruggen is the ever-present holy ghost, in control of everything by virtue of also being as part of the blessed Trinity, or something like that. :lol:
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Without the rule, you could have bladed spokes which would be actual blades of about 100:1.

Think of the carnage in a crash at 30mph+ :shock:

You'd have bike tubes/seatposts looking like knives without it.

Strange though - the pointy bit on my aero helmet is more like 6:1/7:1, yet it's used in the Tour de France, so must have slipped past the regulations somehow. :?:
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    Bhima wrote:

Strange though - the pointy bit on my aero helmet is more like 6:1/7:1, yet it's used in the Tour de France, so must have slipped past the regulations somehow. :?:

The pointy bit is just the trailing edge. I would be surprised if the helmet is much above 2:1