cracked ribs

ojoger
ojoger Posts: 17
edited August 2009 in Health, fitness & training
fell off ladder and cracked a rib as well as bruising to legs, arms etc
been a weel now and missing my bike. how long should i leave out the rides?

Comments

• ojoger
    ojoger Posts: 17
    when i submit a message, why is it after i notice the spelling misstakes?
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    ...how long should i leave out the rides?

until it has stopped hurting when you breath. Are you sure you have cracked a rib?

if you fall again with a cracked rib you increase the risk of major damage to internal organs.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    You're looking at 4-6 weeks for rib injuries, possibly longer if they are cracked. Stay away from anyone with the lurgy in the meantime, a cough won't help.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Ouch! Where in Kernow are you BTW?

Bust mine:

1) in a 6 on 1 fight (I was the 1 and lost)
    2) not landing a "re-entry" in head high waves. My board cracked my ribs.

As long as you don't laugh, cough or breathe, you'll be fine.

A month is usually enough for it to heal - not fun though.
  • .blitz wrote:
    You're looking at 4-6 weeks for rib injuries, possibly longer if they are cracked. Stay away from anyone with the lurgy in the meantime, a cough won't help.

I did a rib a few years back. If you feel a sneeze or cough coming on, you know you're about to receive some pain :lol:
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Done mine twice through MTBing, first time was possibly just badly bruised (didn't get it x-rayed) and was about 2 weeks before getting back on the bike (sticking to the road though :p ). Second time was cracked (but only one rib and not displaced or anything) and that was about 3 weeks before getting back on the bike and taking it easy for a week or so. Basically just go by feel, if you're still struggling to walk without staying in a rigid position then it's probably too early, if it just smarts when you get in and out of bed etc. then you can probably get away with cycling.
  • skullthaw
    skullthaw Posts: 321
    i didnt ride or 2 months when i cracked 2 ribs mainly because i bust them again slipping on soap in the shower :evil: when you can lie fully on them and can bend properly with put pain then its bacck on the bike

sorry to hear about ur fall dude
    2 Broken fingers broken again... F@$%^£g hell that hurt!!!

92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
    METAL!!!!!