GB to have 9 riders at the Worlds?

skut
skut Posts: 371
edited August 2009 in Pro race
If this article is right then GB will have nine riders at the Men's world road race.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/france- ... esentation

Has this ever happened before? Every time I've ever seen it, we've only had 3 or 4 riders.

And, who do you think the nine riders will be?

Comments

• we had 6 last year - only one finished though
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    That 9 might be at the expense of the Dutch, who arn't doing very well...
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    teagar wrote:

The Brits having 9 and the Dutch having 6 justs seems wrong... but when you think about it... I'm having trouble naming 9 top quality Dutch riders. Gesink, Posthuma, Langeveld, De Jongh, Moerenhout... after that I'm starting to struggle.

The Dutch are quite similar to how British cycling is at the moment. One or two world class riders at a time, but not much underneath.
  • teagar
    afx237vi wrote:
    teagar wrote:

The Brits having 9 and the Dutch having 6 justs seems wrong... but when you think about it... I'm having trouble naming 9 top quality Dutch riders. Gesink, Posthuma, Langeveld, De Jongh, Moerenhout... after that I'm starting to struggle.

The Dutch are quite similar to how British cycling is at the moment. One or two world class riders at a time, but not much underneath.

They struggled to get many top 10 placings in the tour, which account for a big part of the nation figures apparantly.
  • KENNY! KENNY! KENNY! KENNY! KENNY! KENNY!
  • teagar
    KENNY! KENNY! KENNY! KENNY! KENNY! KENNY!

Exactly. Not sure he's had any pro-tour top 10s, other than a couple in the Tour.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Not only the Dutch, if anything the French are in more trouble of making the top 10.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    teagar wrote:
    KENNY! KENNY! KENNY! KENNY! KENNY! KENNY!

Exactly. Not sure he's had any pro-tour top 10s, other than a couple in the Tour.

Kenny is betterthan you think.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    afx237vi wrote:
    teagar wrote:

There's a few more: Boom, Clement, Tankink, Weening, Tjallingii even Bos. They're no world beaters admitedly (except potentially Boom), but useful nonetheless.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Timoid. wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    teagar wrote:

There's a few more: Boom, Clement, Tankink, Weening, Tjallingii even Bos. They're no world beaters admitedly (except potentially Boom), but useful nonetheless.

That's kinda my point, though. You could sit down, have a think, and come up with a list of British riders that would be roughly the same quality.

Compare them to Italy or Spain, and you could come up with 5 possible world champions almost straight away from either team.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Nice one. We Canadians will be lucky if we get the three. :roll: