Basingstoke bike buddy?

BazzaJ
BazzaJ Posts: 5
edited October 2010 in MTB rides
I usually ride to the south of our great metropolis, Dummer etc medium pace and skill. Would appreciate some company occasionally!

Comments

• I'm also looking for some company on my rides, i'm just a little further south in Alton but cycle all over the place.
  • johnyyy
    johnyyy Posts: 13
    Hi there, im from just down the rode .Tadley. just getting back onto my bike and could do with a little encouragement. get in contact with me im quite willing to travel, thats what its all about variety............btw i prefer xc riding
  • I prefer XC and single track and travel around with my bike, so if anyone wants to go on a ride then leave a post on here. Pete.
  • billysan
    billysan Posts: 575
    Im in Reading but dont mind travelling to go for a decent ride. Just getting back into XC after a few years out riding trials, but am still reasonably fit.

Drop us a pm if you're planning anything and wouldnt mind an extra rider.
  • Live in dummer, ride out through candovers and back most evenings (around 19:00 till 20:00). drop me a msg next time you fancy a ride
    '97 GT Zaskar Red Annodised
    '08 Kona Kula
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper
    '10 Planet X SL Pro Carbon SRAM Red
  • Hello
    I am interested in any off road riding, Tuesday evening or Saturday mornings are best.
    I participated in the Torq 12:12 on Sunday and need to get out and ride more.
    Only got the bike three months ago, can anybody show me some good routes in Basingstoke.
  • Will probably head out from Dummer to Abbotstone then back through Woodmancott abou 11:00 Saturday (probably about 22 miles / 50% off road / 2 hours).

If anyone is interested
    '08 Kona Kula
  • '97 GT Zaskar Red Annodised
    '08 Kona Kula
  • Had a go on Tuesday night, left Basingstoke at 7 did not get back until 10. Most probably was not the best idea to try it in the dark. Good route though.
  • Weather forecast for tomorrow (Saturday 19th) looks great, I will be heading out for a 25 mile or so ride, mainly on quiet country lanes and farm tracks sometime in the morning if anyone is interested.
    '08 Kona Kula
  • I will come along. What time?
  • 9:30 from the queen inn (dummer)
    '08 Kona Kula
  • Hi there, hoping to get a few of us together and go for an on road ride around the lanes. I'm new to the area, and a returnee to the sport, but want to get the Boardman up and running for the winter....

Let me know ASAP.
    Boardman 2009 road
  • + 1 for riding in medium pace group.

Building an on-one at the moment so be up for a ride in a couple of weeks.

I'm near Tadley, there's some riding towards Kingsclere that's good and around Ecchinswell/Greenham Common areas ..

What's south of Basingstoke like towards Alton offroad?
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    I live in Brown Candover and ride mostly at Swinley, though quite often hit the Oxdrove and ride around Bradley, Ellisfield etc.

These three routes are all good...

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/ellisfield.pdf

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/candovers.pdf

http://www3.hants.gov.uk/abbotstonedown.pdf
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • Those loops look worth a try.. thanks for posting them. Hants CC are good publishing guides.

I've ridden around Swinley over the last 20years and it's a bit familiar after a while! (although still good fun)

My forks are arriving soon to finish my 456 over the next week or so, will be riding before Christmas.
  • for the guys that ride at swinley, does anyone know any good routes to loop together, I accidently found the expert mountin bike area and just went down it and couldnt really work out where to go from there!!
    Im also around the basingstoke area, however I dont think im quite upto to the speed!..
  • flybywire
    flybywire Posts: 575
    this is an article from mbuk that's useful for those new to Swinley Forest..

http://www.bobmbc.com/mbuk_swinley.pdf

The fun of this area is that you can ride different loops each visit :)
  • IcarusGreen
    IcarusGreen Posts: 1,486
    I live in Bordon near Alton and could do with some guys/gals to ride with
    + 1001 posts reset by the cruel cruel moderators!

Giant Trance X4 (2010)
    Giant SCR 02 (2006)
  • beechtree
    beechtree Posts: 85
    Am booked on the BHF SDW for July and need to get some distance training in.

I am looking at catching the train to Petersfield and ride the QEP to Winchester section (then back to b/stoke) one weekend just as soon once the bloody weather improves.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Especially if you know this section of the SDW.
    '08 Kona Kula
  • alex_uk
    alex_uk Posts: 56
    I'm looking to do some after-work MTB - about 17:30 in/near Cliddesden on either Monday, Wednesday, or Friday. Something involving a couple of hours would be good.

I see a few previous posters have said to PM - I'll try and get around to doing this to see if some arrangements can be made.
  • beechtree
    In case anyone is interested, went out last Saturday and Hants County Council had got the bridleway between points 4 & 6 on the Abbotstone Down route closed(see link to map below). Ciiting vegetation clearance and resurfacing as reasons.

No work being done at the weekend so route was not actually blocked in any way. Work had been done was overlaying gravel sections in previously most rutted & gloopy bits. Plus significantly hacking back the bushes that used to encroach on this section.

Good to see my council tax being used for something i'm going get personal benefit out of.
    '08 Kona Kula
  • beechtree
    Weather forcast for this Saturday looks fine, so am considering a run down through Itchen Abbas to pick up and follow the South Downs Way to Queen Elizabeth Park and catching train back to Basingstoke from Petersfield.

Probably 45-50 miles in all, with some hilly bits.

Need to check that SWT have not got any major engineering work on / that the weather will remain decent / my Camelbak arrives ...

but if anyone is interested?
    '08 Kona Kula
  • beechtree
    Did the run last staurday - 47 miles from Basingstoke Stn to Petersfield Stn, about 5 hours on the bike and then 1.5hours for the train back (though trains from Petersfied can be about 40 mins apart)

I want to repeat again over one of the coming weekends, need to try the old / classic route through Warnborough (not Exton), as this should mean an easier climb up Old Winchester Hill.
    '08 Kona Kula
  • Chris`I
    Chris`I Posts: 206
    beechtree wrote:
    In case anyone is interested, went out last Saturday and Hants County Council had got the bridleway between points 4 & 6 on the Abbotstone Down route closed(see link to map below). Ciiting vegetation clearance and resurfacing as reasons.

No work being done at the weekend so route was not actually blocked in any way. Work had been done was overlaying gravel sections in previously most rutted & gloopy bits. Plus significantly hacking back the bushes that used to encroach on this section.

Good to see my council tax being used for something i'm going get personal benefit out of.
    Bit of a thread revivial but good to see the council do work on these routes. Did the Abbotstone route last weekend and between 19 & 20 its massively overgrown with stinging nettles :shock: Might give the council a shout and see if they'll send out some lads with strimmers to whack them back a bit :wink:

Between 4 & 6 was noticably better, so that will explain it
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
    2012 Boardman Road Team
  • beechtree
    Isn't 19-20 Gunners Lane?

I know the wayfayrers way runs parallel and just to the north, at the bottom it runs past candovers cricket club. and that WAS heavily overgrown about 3 weeks ago when i did it, haven't tried since ... "once bitten, try a different route"

Was on the candover oxdrove (7 -21) yesterday evening, and the coucil has wacked the weeds back in the last couple of days, may have done 19-20 too.

I know you can submit problems through the hants right of way website...

http://www.hants.gov.uk/rh/row/problem-report.html

Theres an extension that i do to the abbostone down route, which makes 9 -13 all off road ... from nutley over windmill hill and up to Moundsmere Manor (across Berrydown Lane) this little bit of bit of bridleway (just the section to moundsmere) has also been wacked recently, BUT a lot of this seemed to be Hawthorn, so while your legs may be safe, your tyres are at risk.
    '08 Kona Kula
  • Chris`I
    Chris`I Posts: 206
    Ah you know what, I think we did it wrong :oops: Rather than going down Gunners Lane, we followed the bridal way and it was massively overrun with nettles.

Glad that I posted this up now, as although I realise we did it wrong, we wouldnt mind doing it again, but were put off by the nettles. Now that you mention Gunners Lane, I can see the way we should have gone :wink:
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
    2012 Boardman Road Team
  • beechtree
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/35894515

This is the route i'd take for a 17 mile-ish run in same area, it's got the extra off road section, with a few extra climbs, and if you go in the opposite direction the route through breach farm has a bit more "balls out" potential
    '08 Kona Kula
  • I am definitely (well subject to public transportation chucking a whopping great spannert in my plans) off for a bounce round the north hampshire downs this evening.

Weather recently has not motivated me to get out and ride, but forcast for this evening is much better.

Happy to do anything from 10 - 25 miles (subject to time / lights / weary leg constraints) and to meet either at either cliddesden or dummer.

Will not be ack home till 18:30, so won't be in the saddle till 19:00 at the earliest.

Let me know (PM or post) if anyone is interested
    '08 Kona Kula
  • Shotsaway
    Shotsaway Posts: 175
    Just in case anybody is not aware there is an Evans Ride It event, starting from Cliddesden on Saturday the 13th November.

http://www.evanscycles.com/ride-it/clid ... ember-2010