Best, most eye-opening article on Greg Lemond ever!

donrhummy
donrhummy Posts: 2,329
edited August 2009 in Pro race
This was originally in Men's Journal and it is amazing. I think it really captures why greg Lemond is the way he is and what drives him. Especially the part about "The Drama of the Gifted Child." Read that section and the quote from the book.

http://www.competitivecyclist.blogspot. ... world.html

Comments

• ACMadone
    ACMadone Posts: 300
    That was a pretty interesting article. Will read it again tomorrow.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    donrhummy wrote:
    This was originally in Men's Journal and it is amazing. I think it really captures why greg Lemond is the way he is and what drives him. Especially the part about "The Drama of the Gifted Child." Read that section and the quote from the book.

Interesting article but jeezo he likes to litigate doesnt he,seems like the mans liife is consumed by it.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    His lawyers must be very happy, especially as when he does sue someone he usually seems to win, with settlements of $3.5m and $38 million mentioned. That's a nice figure if you're on a no win, no fee contract.
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    Moray Gub wrote:
    donrhummy wrote:

Interesting article but jeezo he likes to litigate doesnt he,seems like the mans liife is consumed by it.

You're not wrong, he always seems to be in the news for one legal argument or another.
  • donrhummy
    Moray Gub wrote:
    donrhummy wrote:

I believe he's also sued a journalist before (I could be wrong on that, but I seem to remember something about that) so I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to sue this guy. But, it was Lemond HIMSELF who suggested the book!
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Very interesting read. Indeed that bit on the book "The Drama of the Gifted Child" and the acquisiton of a German attack dog gave a good insight on parts of Lemond's personality I never quite grasped.

Thanks for the tip!
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    drenkrom wrote:
    Very interesting read. Indeed that bit on the book "The Drama of the Gifted Child" and the acquisiton of a German attack dog gave a good insight on parts of Lemond's personality I never quite grasped.

Thanks for the tip!

"German attack dog" or pet Alsation? A lot of what's written reads like artistic licence to me...
  • donrhummy
    Garry H wrote:
    drenkrom wrote:

Thanks for the tip!

"German attack dog" or pet Alsation? A lot of what's written reads like artistic licence to me...

No, that's the thing. He's NOT taking artisitic license - it's all straight from Lemond himself. Think about how sadistic/aggressive/mean it is to have a TRAINED german attack/protection dog in the room that kills/attacks on command and then leaning over to your guest and whispering, “All I have to do is say ‘throat!’ and he’d kill you.” Yet, that's what Lemond does. And the dog was bought by the Lemonds specifically for that purpose AND the author tells you the EXACT breed of dog: "Level III Schutzhund" That's NOT artistic license.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    You're probably right, (allegedly). Famous bloke in an expensive house keeping a guard dog is hardly out of the ordinary though is it.
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    donrhummy wrote:
    ....AND the author tells you the EXACT breed of dog: "Level III Schutzhund" That's NOT artistic license.

NOR (seems as if CAPITAL LETTERS are the IN thing!) is THAT a bred of DOG.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    "Schutzhund" means "protection dog" in German. It's not a breed, it's the result of training. Are we going to squabble on that?

say it with me: w.i.k.i.p.e.d.i.a. :wink:
  • moray_gub
    drenkrom wrote:
    "Schutzhund" means "protection dog" in German. It's not a breed, it's the result of training. Are we going to squabble on that?

:

I am reminded here of the old joke about a vicious alsation inside a guys car warding off car thieves.............does yer dog put fires out mister :D
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Excellent - thanks for posting.

It highlighted aspects about LA that I knew and a fair few things about Landis/Lance that I didn't.

If you still think Lance is clean after reading that and knowing what else you do then I wouldn't trust your opinion on anything of that nature.

I read a fantastic website some time ago which I forgot to bookmark. It was basically the case against Lance and it raised some great aspects that I have now forgotten. If anyone knows of this site (I think it is only one page) I would be happy to have another read.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I read that article and it screams guy cannot let go. Sad.
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    I read a fantastic website some time ago which I forgot to bookmark. It was basically the case against Lance and it raised some great aspects that I have now forgotten. If anyone knows of this site (I think it is only one page) I would be happy to have another read.
    Possiby this?

Uncomfortable Satisfaction

Lance Armstrong is guilty of doping under common-sense standard

http://www.arpuerta.com/040917.html
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364

That'd be Aurelio's homepage :lol:
  • frenchfighter
    Possiby this?

Not this one, although I will give this a read later. Thanks.

The one I'm on about had 30 or so bullet points.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Vino
    Vino Posts: 184
    Possiby this?

Biking Bernie! Welcome i think you might be the one i seek, i must have the secret of lance magic cloak was it passed to you by Aurelio. Is not much miles from southern france we can meet in MacDonalds so there is no suspicion. Me and the Calves await your PM instruction.

Worship the Calves.
  • Dgh
    Dgh Posts: 180
    Is Ines Sastre really participating under the name "frenchfighter"?

Thought golf was more her thing :roll:
  • frenchfighter
    Dgh wrote:
    Is Ines Sastre really participating under the name "frenchfighter"?

Thought golf was more her thing :roll:

You can identify quality :wink:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Dgh
    Dgh Posts: 180
    Greg was a great rider, possibly the most gifted ever, and is an impressive individual. Speaks good French, easy to like. He's committed to the anti-doping cause. But he does seem (possibly justifiably) to be very suspicious, ready to see doping everywhere.

Lance too is a great rider. More attacking than Greg was, but possibly harder to like as a person - a bit "bloody-minded".

Isn't it possible that Greg is suspicious of modern cycling, and of Lance? And isn;t it possible that Lance, rather than acknowledge the doping issues in cycling, has responded agresively, adding fuel to the suspicions? On this theory, neither man would be acting dishonestly, nor inexplicably, just perhaps a little unreasonably.

Lance's explanation for how he became a tour winner is the same as Bradley Wiggins for how he became a tour contender - lost wieght and proper preparation. Lance was a World-class rider before cancer, just not a climber. But most people are prepared to believe that Wiggins is clean.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    Dgh wrote:
    Lance's explanation for how he became a tour winner is the same as Bradley Wiggins for how he became a tour contender - lost wieght and proper preparation. Lance was a World-class rider before cancer, just not a climber. But most people are prepared to believe that Wiggins is clean.
    Armstrong's explanation has subsequently proven to be false;

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/reprint/9 ... type=HWCIT

and;

http://www.sportsscientists.com/search/ ... results=20

With Wiggins, on the other hand, it's visibly clear that he's lost weight.
  • donrhummy
    How is this turning into a Lance did this, Lance did that conversation? The article is an examination of Greg Lemond. What are your thoughts on the aspects of Lemond that are shown in this article?
  • Unsheath
    Unsheath Posts: 49
    Unfortunately both have become inextricably linked.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    I think to be that good at something you have to be very single minded and very selfish. I think nice guys don't win. Lemond himself mention the problems his son has had, and links it in part to his own absence in his son's early years.

Lemond and Armstrong will be linked until they stop the lawsuits and public attacks on each other. I hope that's no time soon as it's fun to read and argue over.
  • He needs to do something about that dog and its bullying of the daughter.
  • frenchfighter
    I read that article BB and it was well put.

If anyone still defends Lance after reading that alone, even without the large amounts of other information, then they are deluded.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • moray_gub
    edited August 2009
    I read that article BB and it was well put.

If anyone still defends Lance after reading that alone, even without the large amounts of other information, then they are deluded.

Wheras you are not deluded ?...........mmmm i will play devils advoate here Alberto Contador and Operacion Puerto anyone ..........
  • moray_gub
    andyp wrote:
    Dgh wrote:
    Armstrong's explanation has subsequently proven to be false;

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/reprint/9 ... type=HWCIT

and;

http://www.sportsscientists.com/search/ ... results=20

With Wiggins, on the other hand, it's visibly clear that he's lost weight.

as far as Lance goes this caught my eye on that extremely long winded pdf document

Total body weight during laboratory testing
    ranged from 76 to 80 kg from 1992 through 1997 as well as
    during the preseason in 1999. However, when competing in the
    Tour de France in 1999–2004, body weight was reported by
    the subject to be 72–74 kg. Lean body weight was 70 kg

?
  • moray_gub
    He needs to do something about that dog and its bullying of the daughter.

Thats easy give the bugger a jag to end its life............hate dogs with a passion.