Transporting a bike whilst travelling with Ryanair

crispybug3
crispybug3 Posts: 12
edited August 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi, Just a question somebody might be able to help me with as I'm not entirely sure I'm happy about the answer I got from my local bike shop.

I'm planning to fly on Ryanair to Carcassonne with just me and my bike and have a crack at Plateau de Beille, Ax 3 Domaines and, time permitting, Montsegeur. Now my major problem is a protctive bag for my bike! Now I've checked with Carcassonne airport who've confirmed that they have no storage facilities at the airport and obviously it's pretty much impossible to carry the bag myself with only a backpack, so I enquired at my local bikeshop who said that the best thing to do would be just putting inside a clear plastic bag, like the sort settee's are delivered in, the theory being that it would make the bike better protected as it would be bluntly obvious to the handlers that this is a bike and would handle it more carefully as a result. Now as i said I'm not entirely happy about doing this but also I haven't got any better idea's, can anyone come up with any other idea's or is the bike shop's suggestion in fact the best one?

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Options:

- clear plastic bag. Lots of people do this. I can understand the argument but I can understand your reservations;

- pack in a cardboard box. Abandon the cardboard box at the airport and then get a new one from a bike shop for the journey back;

- pack in a padded bike bag or hard case and then get a hotel to store it for you (eg book somewhere near in Carcassone for the last night). You might need to get a taxi (or bus or train) to the hotel.
  • I have sent my bike three times with ryan air and have never used a bike bag. The rules seem to change from airport to airport but letting some air out of the tyres. At Brno airport (Czech Republic) I had to turn the handlebars through 80 degrees and was expected to take the pedals off (though it wasn't possible). I definitely agree that something that looks like a bike will be treated with more respect than a box.
  • Gotte
    Gotte Posts: 494
    I flew Easyjet last year, and could see the bagagehandlers humping around my bike in its padded cocoon. The main problem I saw was that the disassembled bike in its bag is quite easily heftable. Its dimensions make it easy(ish) to pick up by a man, especially when that man hauls big, heavy suitcases all day.
    I'm flying Ryanair in September, and plan to go down the big plastic bag route. I'll probably pad around the delicate areas, but that's it.
    Also, it saves about 2 hours of reconstruction at the other end (I have two bikes to do).
    And you can just carry the bag with you, or even do as a friend of mine did with his bag and the few pieces of lagging he had, hide it in the bushes just out of town.
    Hope all goes well.
  • culverwood
    culverwood Posts: 256
    Plastic bag and pipe insulation for me. After having tried it on without the bag first. In a small airport like Carcassone they can wheel it about more easily without the bag.
  • From what I've heard, and thanks by the way for the tips!, I've decided to go the plastic bag route. Just one final question what area's would you particularly advise a bit of extra padding around?
  • jay_clock
    jay_clock Posts: 2,708
    My notes that I trot out every time I am asked this....

First tip TURN UP EARLY if only to stop any arguments.

To pack the bike I use the http://www.bikeadventures.co.uk/shop.html bag - have just binned one after about 5 uses. They weigh 550g and will fit in a pannier or on the rack. Remove pedals, swivel handlebars and drop saddle right down. I take tons of cables ties (fix wheel to bike if needed [Flybe], fix pedals to rack etc, and I also unscrew the rear mech (leave all cables on) and cable tie it to the frame to prevent the hanger being bent. On Flybe I use a spacer for the front forks. To tape up the bag I use heavy duty clear tape from B&Q - has a checkered pattern, and tears easily, does not unstick in use, but can be peeled off afterwards.

As a precaution for anyone saying “that is not a bike bag” I print a screen shot of the Bike Adventures website showing the bag on sale and in use. I also print the airline’s own terms and conditions just in case.

Easyjet and Ryanair take payment in advance which has the benefit of knowing you have a booking. I have used both several times with a bike.

I have used Flybe on several return trips and they have been great. I live 4 miles from Southampton so there is a big attraction to use them. The ONLY issue I have is that officially it is a standby only arrangement, which could really screw up your hols. However it has always worked fine

Because they use smallish planes you have to remove the front wheel as well as the usual pedal/handlebar stuff. If you do not have front pannier frames, you can just turn the handlebars and forks sideways, rather than undo the bolts to twist it. I strap the wheel to the RIGHT hand side of the bike as on the first occasion I ended up with a slightly bent outer chain ring (Stronglight softish alloy) which I bent back with pliers. TOP TIP, as Flybe are at smaller airports they may well not have an excess baggage Xray large enough for bikes, so do not seal the bag till they tell you they are happy, as they may do a manual explosives swab.

I have only been asked to pay once with FlyBe. On other occasions they either didn't ask me, or because I was carrying the panniers as carry on bags, they didn't think it was fair. However with new rules on carry on bags (max 1 and rigidly enforced), I will be checking in the panniers, but plan to put these inside a £shop duffel bag I got to avoid being charged on a per-piece basis!

They will only not carry your bike on the same flight as you if it is very full and very laden. Now that people have to pay for bags this is less likely, as more will reduce luggage and carry it on. But there is the risk in which case they will send it on the next flight

However I have had telephone contact with Flybe (trying calling Ryanair!) and they are friendly and helpful - I am confident that if the bike misses the plane they would do their best to help.
  • Tim Farr
    Tim Farr Posts: 665
    I agree with Andy Riley - but there is a fourth and more expensive solution; hire a car from Hertz at Carcassonne Airport. You're at least 100km from the Plateau de Beille and a car would give you access to more cols.
    T Farr
  • Thanks for all the advice, in the end I went the plastic bag route and everything went absolutely fine. the bike was handled properly and didn't even have an extra scratch on it!
    As for the ride...Plateau de Beille was horrible but not too horrible, I was dying on my arse all the up Ax 3 Domaines and was completely spent and only managed a couple of kilometres or so on Montseger before turning around and giving up!
    As for the 100 kilometres thing I stayed halfway in town called Chalabre to split the journey up a bit.
    Once again thanks for the posts!!