Wiggins interview

Kléber
Kléber Posts: 6,842
edited August 2009 in Pro race
"I saw myself leaving Klöden, Evans and Armstrong in the Tour de bloody France. It didn't feel right. It was very strange"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/au ... nald-mcrae

Comments

• JackCB
    JackCB Posts: 92
    I noticed this:

"Great names finish up there in the Tour. People like [Carlos] Sastre …"

Is this a subtle dig at the dopers? Does Wiggins agree with the general consensus in the 'clean tour winners' thread?
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    A Schleck off to ride for the Armstrong team as well, he lets slip.

Makes sense, after this years tour, stopping Contador at all costs will be Lance's goal.
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    Yorkman wrote:

Makes sense, after this years tour, stopping Contador at all costs will be Lance's goal.

So much for raising cancer awareness...
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    bikerZA wrote:
    Yorkman wrote:

So much for raising cancer awareness...

And here we go with another Lance hating post....!

(It's about Wiggins, not LA)
  • BdeB
    BdeB Posts: 110
    So there are rules about a team announcing signings and riders saying where they are going but other riders can out them. You got to love Wiggo for letting the cat out the bag.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Bet Andy Schleck will calling Wiggo to thank him for that one.
  • le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    Implies A Shleck riding for LA.. not sure that's ideal for anyone.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I'm not sure about all this Tom Simpson stuff Wiggo is now coming out with. I distinctly remember reading the bit in his book about his huge lone break in the 2007 Tour, and doing it because it was on his wife's birthday. He only found out later that it had been the 40 year anniversary of Simpson's death.

Well, maybe that is poetic licence for the book, but if he was really so aware of the Simpson story, surely he would have known in 2007 what that date meant?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    Looks like I *might* have called it right the other day on here when I said something along the lines of:

Lance to Andy: "Help me beat that Spanish git next year then once I'm gone the whole team, plus the experience and nous of me and the Hog, are at your disposal to win future tours..."

As I said at the time, that's an attractive proposal to someone as young as A Schleck with all that time ahead of him....
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    Or he could stay at Saxo Bank and get the same knowledge and support from Riis, within an environment he already knows and without the shenanighans that Armstrong and Bruyneel bring to the table. Until I hear it from Andy Schleck himself, I'll continue to distrust this rumour.

Back to Wiggins, I thought he came across very well in the interview. @Davey - maybe since that day in 2007 he's found out more about Tom Simpson?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Michael Schumacher says: "I am not coming back to Forumla One".

His agent says: "Michael is not coming back to Formula One."

Ferrari team says: "Michael is not coming back to Formula One."

Michael Schumacher comes back to Formula One the next day.

Team Saxo Bank: "Andy Schlek is not going to Team Radio Shack...."

And so on....

Until September 1 - the riders can't discuss it themselves - and everyone else around them will continue to deny it. Until it happens. It's the same in all sports....
  • I'm pretty sure this interview was conducted only a couple of days after the Tour, the picture looks very similar to what was in the background when he was interviewed on Sky Sports News in the middle of last week.

The quote that says "released my blood values last week" is just becuase the article is coming out today.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    andyp wrote:

Back to Wiggins, I thought he came across very well in the interview. @Davey - maybe since that day in 2007 he's found out more about Tom Simpson?

Yes, you might be right, andy. He does sound like he finds the story genuinely moving, and it must have given him a few extra Watts :) on the Ventoux.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • I heard Andy Schleck was going to Manchester City. They're hoovering up all the talent, just in case.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    DaveyL wrote:
    I'm not sure about all this Tom Simpson stuff Wiggo is now coming out with. I distinctly remember reading the bit in his book about his huge lone break in the 2007 Tour, and doing it because it was on his wife's birthday. He only found out later that it had been the 40 year anniversary of Simpson's death.

Well, maybe that is poetic licence for the book, but if he was really so aware of the Simpson story, surely he would have known in 2007 what that date meant?

I guess when you're on a race like the Tour you tend to forget what day or date it is, like if you're on a long holiday, and you only know what stage it is.

There's also apparently a link between Wiggins and Simpson. I read that Wiggins's dad and Simpson's daughter where housemates for a while.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • A lot of riders will take the piss out of me for saying this – but I don't think they fully respect the history of the race. A lot of young riders in the peloton think they're 'it' at 22. And I'm not referring to Mark Cavendish... in any way.
    ;)

An extended version of William Fotheringham's interview of Robert Millar re Brad Wiggins (an edited version was in the Guardian) ishere.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Here's the Wiggins interview from pre-Ventoux where he talks about Simpson in depth:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/gene ... 60541.html

And a snippet from Tom Simpson's daughter cia CN:

She has followed Wiggins’s progress with great interest. "I lived with his father, you know," she said. "Garry Wiggins lived in the same digs as me in Ghent. I remember Brad being born."
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    le patron wrote:
    Implies A Shleck riding for LA.. not sure that's ideal for anyone.

Neither Schleck is riding for RadioShack in 2010. Watch the interview with them and Frank is VERy adamant and clear that they're going to honor their contracts.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz3sKyP2WgQ

Denial beyond doubt from the Schlecks.

Funny video too.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,941
    Wow, Andy is one skinny dude :D
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    Bhima wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz3sKyP2WgQ