Glentress...

gregmorris234
gregmorris234 Posts: 168
edited August 2009 in MTB rides
Im thinking about going up to Glentress (from south Wales) by plane. I was wondering if i should rent a bike there or is it easier and cheaper to take my bike up there. I've never taken a bike on a plane and im not sure if i could trust the airports (you know imagine loosing your first love on a plane, you would be pretty pissed off wouldnt you) So what should i do? Greg

Gt I-Drive

Comments

• BoardinBob
    BoardinBob Posts: 697
    Rent. They've got a decent fleet of Kona Calderas and Alfine hubbed Genesis'

Alternatively they've got a great fleet of more exotic demo bikes

http://www.thehubintheforest.co.uk/Bike/hire_demo.html
  • daveb
    daveb Posts: 4,137
    It would probably be much easier just to rent if its only for a day or so, if you are going to stay for longer then probably best to bring your own bike up. Depends who you are flying with, easyjet are pretty good with bikes, I have heard bad things about jet2 though.

As said - Th Hub have a decent selection of hire bikes, good idea to book in advance though.
    Daveb
  • note to remember though that the "exotic" bikes come with a very high daily rate, also as has already been said its a good idea to prebook and if you use SPDs remember to take them with you,

if your up i realy would advise that you ride inners xc aswell as its a amazing trail,

rob
    I recon im the tinyest horse you will ever see
  • JAGGY
    JAGGY Posts: 167
    Santa Cruz Nomads and Orange 5's £40 per day.
  • Are these Full Sussers?
  • yeh they are all mountain style full sus bikes mate,

they are very limited and would need to be booked

give the hub a call for more info

rob
    I recon im the tinyest horse you will ever see
  • Thanks alot i just looked em up on google they look alright.
  • christk
    christk Posts: 122
    Have thought of doing this trip myself (Being from Bridgend). Took my bike to Spain last year with BMI Baby, with no problems what so ever, though you have to pre book the bike on the flight after you have bought your ticket. £15 each way.

My question is. How do you intend getting from the airport to the trail centres? The only way I could see was to hire a car. At which point I began to think how cost effective it would be.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    There's public transport to Peebles from all over... It's just that they refuse to carry bikes :evil: (many moons ago, the main local bus company was contacted by some riders who said "Any chance of better bike provision on your buses? As there's often not enough space" and the response was "BIKES? On MY buses? Nobody told me about this! THIS ENDS NOOOOOOOOOW!" and shortly after, all bikes were banned. How progressive. But, getting there as a pedestrian from Edinburgh isn't difficult.

Anyhoo. Hub has quite a good range, they also have a load of Lapierres now too, Zestys and Spicys, and I think they have an SC Superlight or 2 ... Some of the bikes strike me as a little inappropriate for the conditions, I can't see an awful lot of point in a 6" travel bike for GT myself but ymmv.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • jamazin
    jamazin Posts: 371
    Your so lucky. Wish i was going to glentress :(
    Mabie forest. Maybe one of the greatest places to ride.
  • Im not sure if im going yet I was just thikning of going.
  • Si.Ozzy
    Si.Ozzy Posts: 89
    I recommend you stop thinking about going and start booking, its awesome, went a few months ago for 5 days and have to say i preffered it to anything i have done before (affan, coedy, climax).

As for renting, one of the guys i was riding with snapped his frame, he paid £60 for two days on a trek remedy, nice bike but he had to have it back by 1730 on the second day and any damages he had to pay for. The hub was sold out of bikes so he rented from the alpine shop near inners.

Renting is ok but if your riding for more than a day i would say rent, its cheaper and if you hire one and damge it then it gets silly money. Some of the trails are rocky and the last thing you want is to kill a chain ring on a rock and end up paying silly money to replace.