upgrading a vulcan

willing
willing Posts: 61
edited August 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi all.
Well to cut a long story short,I was going to buy a new bike but have now decided to upgrade my carrera vulcan v-spec.
I've already put a bikehut hyd front disc on which has improved braking no end although its not the best brake in the world I dont suppose.
Sooooo,I thought,to start with I'd get a new fork,wheels,and brakes.

Marzocchi mx pro lo
Avid code 5's

Wheelset,open to suggestions.
I'm willing to spend about 700 quid.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.
Thanks
Nig. :)

Comments

• Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    Most people will say, and i agree, don't bother, can get a very nice bike for £700.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, I would sell up and get a new bike. Will be a lot better value, and certainly have a better frame.

Why Codes though? It isn't a downhill bike!
  • willing
    Oh,Codes are for d/h bikes are they. Sorry.

It just seemed to make sense to me to upgrade the vulcan with some good bits and then upgrade the frame if necessary. Do I need a better frame? I dont think the vulcan will fall apart through trail/road singletrack use. I'd feel happier knowing I'd got a smooth fork,excellent brakes and a pair of strong wheels.

Thanks for replies btw.
    Nig.
  • supersonic
    It is a good frame yes, but the ones on more expensive bikes will be lighter or stronger or both. And may feel more lively to ride.

You could upgrade the frame at a later date. But if you want the easiest and quickest way to get the best for your money right now, I'd get a new bike.

If you want to tinker about and go for the custom build, then the fork you mention is ok, but are better really such as an RS Recon or Reba. Lighter wheels and tyres always worth having.
  • rob_mafia
    rob_mafia Posts: 136
    If you like the bits on it then just get yourself a new frame and transplant all the bits over, then you can gradually do it up
  • willing
    If I put a RS RebaRace Dual Air !00mm fork,Mavic Crossline wheelset and Avid Juicy 3's onto my carrera, do you think I'd have a reasonable bike. The upgrade would cost about £650. I paid £200 for the carrera to start with. So thats £850 in all.

• supersonic
    Great parts! But you'll still be left with heavy finishing kit, and budget 8 speed components.

If a long term project, with money coming in later, would make sense, but if a one off then I would get a new bike to be honest.
  • Yeah for that kind of money, and if weights a issue, check the boardmans out, or other models previous years and deals, however there is pleasure to be gained in upgrading your current bike and making your own customised steed, also if your on a budget and can only afford to buy bit by bit then sometimes upgrading is the only way forward, but it's up to you at the end of the day what makes commercial sense ! :wink:
  • willing
    I'm going to give it some more thought. I'll get back when I've decided.

Thanks all , for taking the time to reply.