Is Astana/Khazakstan freaking out at having no team?

donrhummy
donrhummy Posts: 2,329
edited August 2009 in Pro race
I saw that there's now no agreement in place for Vinokourov to race for Astana and that he's going to race on his own. Previously, everyone (Bruyneel, media, etc) had been strongly informed that Vino was going to race again for Astana and if you don't like it go elsewhere. But then Contador refused a contract extension and it's looking like he's leaving. Levi and Kloden are probably gone, Bruyneel, Lance and their entire staff are likely gone. I wonder if Astana is now freaking out that if they bring back Vino, they'll have no team around him. Could they actually force him to go elsewhere? might they actually try to get Contador back by promising to build the team exactly how he wants?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vinokou ... for-astana

http://www.examiner.com/x-1155-Cycling- ... rom-Astana

Comments

• bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    So what happens to the license? I'm guessing Bruyneel owns the ProTour license, meaning Astana will have to apply for one. Given they don't seem to have any star riders anymore, and a somewhat dodgy reputation, possibly increased by a possible Vino return, could be interesting.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    bikerZA wrote:
    So what happens to the license? I'm guessing Bruyneel owns the ProTour license, meaning Astana will have to apply for one.

You guess wrong. The Kazak federation own the licence.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,042
    Been browsing some of the Kazakh sport sites.

There seems to be a lot of soul searching going on in Kaz regarding the upkeep of a team that has been run for the benefit of 'foreign celebrities' over the last year. Where other sports in the country are struggling. The uncertainty about the future probably explains the lack of commitment at the moment. I'm pretty sure the sponsors get no commercial benefit from having guys racing in Europe wearing their logos!
    Assuming Trek transfers their support to The Shack, then Astana needs to find a bike sponsor, team kit etc. Of they could keep Contador, this would have been easier. Vino is not he draw he used to be for obvious reasons.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    It certainly would be very interesting if Astana decided to go without Vino. I think that Astana could have gotten a benefit from racing in Europe if they'd done a good enough job of using the riders as a marketing tool. For example, have them go to train in Astana and stay in top hotels and then blog about how great it was. And have guys like Lance refrain from the Borat comments, and maybe hold a contest for people to ride in Astana/Khazakstan with some of the riders after the TDF. It CAN work as an advertising tool.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,042
    I cannot image Vino not being involved with the team. I often wondered whether he sacked himself and is now drawing up his new contract :D

I am probably one of the very few on this forum that hopes that the team survives. It has had to re-invent itself more that any team should. Until we know who exactly is leaving and who is left, it is very difficult to know which way the team will go.

As far as I know, LA, JB & Ekimov are confirmed as going.
    LL, AK, CH, HZ, Popo & GR are not confirmed just hearsay at the moment. We will find out for sure in September.
    Contador is not renewing his contract, but still has a year left to run.

Astana should try and keep hold of Gallopin as DS, he left CSC to get out of Bjarne's Shadow, he needs to get out of JB's shadow.
    Astana still have Bertie's Spanish mates, some Swiss guys, and the Kazakhs ..........and the licence.