cycle-cross

knedlicky
knedlicky Posts: 3,097
edited August 2009 in Pro race
Over the weekend, I was looking in a book about cycle-cross from a few years ago and it seems amongst those who did well in cycle-cross during Winter were riders who then did well on the road in Summer – Beat Breu, De Vlaeminck, Van der Poel, Madiot, Thaler, Pascal Richard. There was also a Kreuziger from Czechoslovakia, who won the Tour of Austria once – he appears to be the father of the present Kreuziger.
Anybody know if any of the current top pros do cycle-cross in Winter?

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Marc Madiot for FDJeux gets his guys involved.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Although not yet a top pro, he will be very soon, and already top in the U23 and Junior road categories: Lars Boom

Oscar Freire started as a crosser, and he might still do it as training in the winter.

With the women, Marianne Vos is top both road and cross.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Enrico Franzoi is a very good cyclocross rider. He was tipped for the spring classics in the last few years, though he failed to break through there. Lars Boom has won many junior and U23 titles on the road and was cyclocross WC, so he already makes my list. Kreuziger the younger also had some good cross results.

While many road riders use cyclocross to train in the winter, the respective competitive seasons make it very hard to shine on both circuits. Cyclocross is a weekly event throughout winter in Europe. There's no way you can be fit for all that time and peak again for the spring classics. And if you're really good, cyclocross can pay a lot more than the road. Ask Sven Nys.
  • Roger Hammond does
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    Quite a few guys do I believe.
  • Bart Puss
    Bart Puss Posts: 169
    Given his poor bike handling suggest Menchov rides a few races this winter...soon sharpen his bike handling up assuming he stays on it for long enough. :wink:
    MEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW