Touring Northern Cyprus

delatierra
delatierra Posts: 11
I am planning to cycle round Northern Cyprus mid-September. I'm taking my own road bike, arriving in Larnaka then making my way to Famagusta where I have friends. From there it seems to be plain sailing up through Bogaz to Golden Beach then slowly back to stay with friends in Girne.

Any ideas on which map is best? I have the Lonely Planet guide for Accommodation so that shouldn't be a problem.

Any tips on cycling on Northern Cyprus? I'll be taking 2 back panniers, what should I not forget?

Thanks

Andrea

Comments

• markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Yes I've got a tip on going to 'Northern Cyprus', don't go, and don't forget that the Turkish invasion force killed many innocent people in 1974 with hidden mass graves being found all over the place. Ok I'll own up and say my mother is Greek Cypriot and I have an agenda, the choice is entirely yours whether to go. I just feel that the more people who go there help to legitimise an illegal regime and the true owners of property and land will never get their justice(this includes the Turkish Cypriots who lost out as well)
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    If you stop off for lunch in N Cyprus don't ask for a Greek salad :shock:

To be honest why N Cyprus, surely nicer and less controversial places to ride???
  • OK

Anyone got anything positive to say or don't bother
  • Mapman
    Mapman Posts: 254
    Delatierra ..... Did you go ? How did you get on ?
  • Hello!

Andrea, Your trip sounded like a nice adventure. I am planning a similar trip for late October, arriving in LCA and moving about for week in Northern Cyprus stopping at Kyrenia, the Salamis ruins, Bogaz, Turtle Beach, to name a few.

It would be great to hear a little about your trip and from anyone else who has cycled in Northern Cyrus.

Thank you,

Wayne
  • If anybody wants to know what it is like to ride in Northern Cyprus take a look through this blog

http://cyprusonabianchi.blogspot.co.uk/

Lots of photos and routes

Hope it helps.