The Church of Lance Armstrong.

BikingBernie
BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
edited August 2009 in Pro race
Via CFA. I think 'Aurelio' and several others on here pointed out the 'religious' nature of Armstrong worship on here a long time ago. (Along with all the irrationality this entails). Still a damn good read though!

...It doesn't matter how much scholarly criticism you round up against the figure of Armstrong. It doesn't matter which objective sources of information you cite for your arguments. You will get the same juice from the 'followers' to drink.

This is the herd behavior because it also rubs on other people like a virus and soon, they all begin to think alike, even though they have not done their own research on who they are voicing for. Its like fashion. Today something new comes along, quick start believing in it. The blind fanaticism then runs like a pandemic.

Now it doesn't take much to see that this blind fanaticism over one man has obviously taken religious proportions.

... if Jesus Christ and the Bible can be debated in a sound manner as is happening in many educated circles today, why not Lance Armstrong? Well. Uh-oh. It doesn't work that way. In fact, if you do the same against Lance Armstrong, you're a jerk, a dick, a piece of shit, someone who doesn't value life or success and is a hater for the fight against cancer.

Really? Never has been the word 'hater' so overused and out of context.

...Sadly, when celebrities and their egos attain larger than life proportions, so do the fallacies in the minds of their followers who engage in this hero worship, a cult phenomena.

http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2009/07 ... trong.html

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Nothing like blowing your own trumpet.

I suppose that's just Howard's Way...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Hallelujah praise be the Lance!!!!!!!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Yawn. Lance is soooooo July 2009. Get with August already!
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    dont think jebus was an utterpunt like the texan :evil:
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Lance actually proclaims that he is not religious, does not believe in God, no afterlife, no being reborn, etc.

But that doesn't stop large numbers of cancer-sufferers and their relatives turning-up and hanging around the team bus, hoping he'll come out, see them, speak to them, touch them, heal them...

Those are the obvious 'pilgrims to the church of St Lance', perhaps to be understood in backwoods areas of the religious Deep South of the USA

But there are many others who whilst they don't think he actually has the healing touch in quite such a literal manner, do see him in an illogical manner, with whom you cannot argue.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I'm proud of you guys. You have outdone yourselves with this one. It made up for an otherwise very boring morning at work. :lol::lol::lol: Great stuff.
  • avalon
    avalon Posts: 345
    andy_wrx wrote:
    Lance actually proclaims that he is not religious, does not believe in God, no afterlife, no being reborn, etc.

But that doesn't stop large numbers of cancer-sufferers and their relatives turning-up and hanging around the team bus, hoping he'll come out, see them, speak to them, touch them, heal them...

Those are the obvious 'pilgrims to the church of St Lance', perhaps to be understood in backwoods areas of the religious Deep South of the USA

But there are many others who whilst they don't think he actually has the healing touch in quite such a literal manner, do see him in an illogical manner, with whom you cannot argue.

Eh?
    Wadya onboutman
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Begone vile cancer lover!
  • BikingBernie
    avalon wrote:
    andy_wrx wrote:

Eh? Wadya onboutman
    He means that, live many other religious fundamentalists, Armstrongites are willing to ignore any amount of rational argument and evidence in order to preserve their faith in the supreme being. As they say 'Faith is believing what you know isn't true'. :wink:

(Or, to paraphrase Bill Hicks , ‘Positive Epo tests? They were put on the Earth to test our faith!)
  • BikingBernie
    Begone vile cancer lover!
    :lol:

Great minds obviously think alike.

tturns146.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Via CFA. I think 'Aurelio' and several others on here pointed out the 'religious' nature of Armstrong worship on here a long time ago. (Along with all the irrationality this entails). Still a damn good read though!

What you talking about...you are Aurelio?....so why speak of yourself as an another entity?

But regardless of what you call yourself....you still have this strange obsession with the man?...still scowering the whole net to collate more data on him....your a real strange one?...how much of your life do you spend on LA?

Most of the guys who admire LA on this forum are not obsessed with him (as Aurelio certainly is)...they just respect him for his acheivements....thats all....and its just so hard at times to see such disgusting things said about him?...such Hate?....for what real reason?...you can dislike him if you like....but to go on like some on here it really is very shameful.

I respect him...but I respect Contador,Ullrich,Voigt etc also....

Maybe if can rid the Pro Race forum section of a few certain individuals then it will stop behaving like an angry mob 'football type' forum and revert back to be being a good source of input and info like it was in the C+ days?....lets all hope so...

I'm just so glad that the rest of the Bikeradar forum sections are still decent and helpful.
  • BikingBernie
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    regardless of what you call yourself....you still have this strange obsession with the man?
    I am not obsessed with LA, but I do finding challenging the irrationality of his faithful to be a diverting pastime. :wink:
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    such Hate?....for what real reason?...
    Ah ha! The 'hate' word again. :lol:
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    Maybe if can rid the Pro Race forum section of a few certain individuals then it will stop behaving like an angry mob 'football type' forum
    It’s interesting how religions always seem to be so keen to silence opponents. Going by the number of his followers who say that they would on principle never read anything written by David Walsh, it also seems that an informal Index Librorum Prohibitorum is also in operation!
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Will this forum ever be free from this kind of shite, i mean of all the anti lance fanboy posts this takes some beating for its sheer unadulterated pish.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • BikingBernie
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Will this forum ever be free from this kind of shite, i mean of all the anti lance fanboy posts this takes some beating for its sheer unadulterated pish.
    You must really 'hate' the article that it links to. :lol:
  • Anonymous
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    regardless of what you call yourself....you still have this strange obsession with the man?
    I am not obsessed with LA, but I do finding challenging the irrationality of his faithful to be a diverting pastime. :wink:
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    such Hate?....for what real reason?...
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    Maybe if can rid the Pro Race forum section of a few certain individuals then it will stop behaving like an angry mob 'football type' forum
    It’s interesting how religions always seem to be so keen to silence opponents. Going by the number of his followers who say that they would on principle never read anything written by David Walsh, it also seems that an informal Index Librorum Prohibitorum is also in operation!

You seem to categorise people very quickly....just because I'd like to see a few disappear from this forum (including yourself)...it certainly does not class me as a 'follower'...a guy who respects LA is now a member of his cult in your eyes?...no, ive got better things to do with my life...like spend time with my family and work?...and actually cycle?

Let me tell you something Aurelio....I used to keep a wee eye on the Pro Cycling scene here when it was a good source..(although watching Cycling and keeping upto date with Procycling is not my thing....I'd much rather go out cycling and see nice scenery)....but guys like you have completely put me off coming near here...I just get dismayed...and although LA seems to be the No.1 target for the hostilities the whole 'feel' of this forum section is now ugly,angry and spiteful.... and to me thats a real shame...as I bet theres tons of guys...who could provide excellent info...but won't because of the bitterness here?
  • BikingBernie
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    the whole 'feel' of this forum section is now ugly,angry and spiteful...
    Only when the fanboys get into their stride. :lol:

I take that you have been reading the contributions of 'jackhammer'? :wink:
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    What's with all the smileys and winks, aurelio? Are you in passive/aggressive mode today?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Anonymous
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    the whole 'feel' of this forum section is now ugly,angry and spiteful...
    Only when the fanboys get into their stride. :lol:

I take that you have been reading the contributions of 'jackhammer'? :wink:

My last on the subject...

Fanboys?...again, we descend into 'one side' of an arguement...the same arguement...again and again and again...

It doesn't matter to me if you disagree with others..thats life....and we are all entitled to our opinions...but it does matter to me how people convey there sentiments...and some of the entries on here have been a disgrace...surely thats not what a cycling forum should be?....surely we can hold a level of decency that befits a forum of this nature?

And it now feels like a major rivalry has settled in here..pro-LA v's anti-LA...and it has consumed so much of the forum...not because of the man himself...but because of a good few forum members?....and to me thats just plain ridiculous....and totally damaging to the forum.
  • BikingBernie
    RICHYBOYcp wrote:
    pro-LA v's anti-LA... it has consumed so much of the forum...
    Thanks for your comments, non of it would be possible without contributions from people like you. :wink:
  • BikingBernie
    DaveyL wrote:
    What's with all the smileys and winks, aurelio? Are you in passive/aggressive mode today?
    :wink::D:lol:
  • aarw
    aarw Posts: 448
    thread on the same blog over at weight weenies which has taken a very different turn, well, sort of:
    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 14&t=60935
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Moray Gub wrote:
    You must really 'hate' the article that it links to. :lol:

Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    aarw wrote:
    thread on the same blog over at weight weenies which has taken a very different turn, well, sort of:
    http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 14&t=60935

Whoa, ya got that right. Very different> Then again it's the weight weenies. :wink:
  • sudholz
    sudholz Posts: 69
    Lance who? :roll:
    Well. Certaintly...
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Moray Gub wrote:

Not as long as people keep replying :wink:
  • lucybears
    lucybears Posts: 366
    interview.cyclingfever.com
  • sudholz
    sudholz Posts: 69
    lucybears wrote:

Obviously another 'hater'

Excellent summary I thought - especially the bit about anyone other than Bertie beating Andy Schleck (except in their dreams).

Overandout...
    Well. Certaintly...
  • victorponf
    victorponf Posts: 1,187
    Sorry because is in spanish:

"Un uomo solo al comando"

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/deportes ... idep_2/Tes
    If you like Flandes, Roubaix or Eroica, you would like GP Canal de Castilla, www.gpcanaldecastilla.com
  • If there's a Church of Lance, does that mean David Walsh is his equivalent of Richard Dawkins?
    N00b commuter with delusions of competence

FCN 11 - If you scalp me, do I not bleed?