Could Andy Schlek have won the 09 TdF?

2»

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    True Champions attack even when they have the yellow jersey. They attack because it is in their blood, they love the excitement, they are great. Read about Contador - he loves attacking and finds it boring when there are no attacks.

If it hadn't been for Contador, this Tour would have been boring - no one would attack.

Look back at the greats and see that they would attack even with the leader's jersey.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • JackCB
    JackCB Posts: 92
    True Champions attack even when they have the yellow jersey. They attack because it is in their blood, they love the excitement, they are great. Read about Contador - he loves attacking and finds it boring when there are no attacks.

If it hadn't been for Contador, this Tour would have been boring - no one would attack.

Look back at the greats and see that they would attack even with the leader's jersey.

Why, then, didn't Contador sustain his attack?

He must have realised that he had no chance to slow the Schlecks down enough to allow Kloden to get back to the front. If Contador loves to attack as much as you say, and if he had the ability to attack, why not go for it, and make more of an attempt at dropping the Schlecks?
  • True Champions attack even when they have the yellow jersey. They attack because it is in their blood, they love the excitement, they are great. Read about Contador - he loves attacking and finds it boring when there are no attacks.

If that is true why didn't he attack on the Ventoux, to win on that mountain in the yellow jersey, that would have been something to see.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    See what he says about the Ventoux - he was really suffering that day. Andy on the other hand was good and should/could have won the stage.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    Yeah, the Ventoux stage was a bit disappointing. Didn't end up the royal rumble or the all-or-nothing last bids for glory I was hoping for. Good on Garate for taking it but I'm surprised the bigger guns didn't chase down all the breakaways considering the potential prestige of the win.

PS - AS won't win next year either unless
    a - he improves his timetrialing dramatically
    b - AC doesn't race
  • which though unlikely could happen, it he cant get out of the last year of his contract and Vino does come back to Astana (what do i mean if :roll: ) its more than likely that the UCI will strip them of there Pro Tour license and even if that doesnt happen hell will frezze ove before the ASO will let Vino back. So if Contador's mates dont pony up the cash he could be in trouble, would love to see LA face if this happend
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • It'll be interesting to see what sort of team Contador can build for next year. To me, that's the most likely way he'll get beaten. Not having the same team/tactics as Schlecks/Saxo
    http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    donrhummy wrote:
    I agree that they could have dropped Contador (more on that in a second) but Andy still would not have won. He'd likely have gained a minute or so at most.

As for dropping Contador, right after Contador attacked and dropped Kloden and the Schlecks got back, Andy went to the front and as Contador dropped in behind Frank, you could actually see his legs get wobbly. He DEFINTELY had a lot taken out of him in that attack. Unfortunately, neither Schleck saw that and instead kept a very steady pace and over the next 5 minutes you could see Contador slowly recover. If they'd attacked him right there i think they'd have dropped him and he'd have been forced to keep a steady pace to reach the top with limited losses. But they weren't so far from the top, and he wasn't so weak that they'd have pulled back 4 minutes+. So Andy still would have lost.

Anyone see this month's ProCycling? Both Schlecks AND Eddy Merckx all agree that Contador was hurting there and that the Schlecks could have dropped him had they known! Andy said that after watching it back on TV they were certain that Contador was hurting big time there and could have been dropped and Frank thinks Contador attacked justt to bluff them so they wouldn't try and attack him!
  • Tactical brain from Contador then. Quality.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    The only person who really knows if AC was hurting is AC.
    It didn't look like it to me.

Bottom line is that if Andy Schleck could have beaten Contador he would have gone all out to do it.

Contador dominated the final time trial did he not? Hows that for demonstrating how he deserves it. Can't be beat in the mountains and still owns everyone on the TT...
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Don't forget the big drag into the finish. A supreme effort to take a minute over the top could have been wasted as it was eaten into. AC did exactly what was required. All else is supposition.
    Dan
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Tactical brain from Contador then. Quality.

Exactly. And it puts his attack that dropped kloden into a different light, doesn't it?
  • [/quote]
    i want to see broken men (metaphorically!) roll home with nothing left. If that's not how you finish then you're not racing?[/quote]

Only if want to win the battle, not the war..... :roll:
    I'm not saying pedestrians in Hackney are stupid.. but a fixed bayonet would be more use than a fixed gear...
  • Don't forget the big drag into the finish. A supreme effort to take a minute over the top could have been wasted as it was eaten into. AC did exactly what was required. All else is supposition.

Exactly, not entirely sure why this thread has run onto 3 pages thus far. AS was not going to beat AC at the tour this year. I really don't think there was much doubt, unless you count the possibility of abit of sabotage from a certain Texan