Need new road shoes - after coming off!

Landlocked
Landlocked Posts: 37
edited August 2009 in Commuting chat
Well, it could have been allot worse...

Cycling on Cambridge Heath road from Hackey down into Whitechapel yesterday when i got caught in a crack in the road where the busses have managed to dig a groove. :shock:

@rse over tit, over the handle bar and skidded on the road for about 5 metres! :oops:

Got a huge hole in one of my gloves, grazes on my left leg but unfortunatly, i ripped of two of the straps on my DHB road shoes. :cry:

Anyone got a recommendation for some new road shoes? sub £80?

Oh and should i bother to complain to the council about the state of the road?

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Definitely tell the council about the state of the road, and get them to pay for your gloves and shoes too.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    BEFORE you complain: go back and take a photo, preferably with a ruler in frame so the scale of the hole is obvious.

What will happen is that the Council will pop along and patch the hole and then deny it was ever a problem.

Fillahole.org is somewhere you should visit
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    BG Specializeds are very comfy.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • If you look closely, you can see the state of the road on Google street view!

[img][/img]th.5c4cddae14.jpg
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    +1 to all of the above.

Please report the hole. I use that route too and will be paying more attention to road surface.

I would try claiming for damages from the council too.

I'm v happy with my Specialized shoes and recommend them but why not another pair of DHBs? They seem good value for money.
  • Harry182 wrote:
    why not another pair of DHBs? They seem good value for money.

i probably will, they are very comfortable, but i was just thinking if its worth spending a bit more..
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Fit is all important with shoes. Get yourself to a bike shop and try on a few brands.

I wanted some Mavic's but they didn't fit at all, now have some Northwaves which are a bit wider and fit well.

Spech BG are good if they fit you, the inner sole is really comfy and helps prevent "hotspots".
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Well, i've spoken to the council, they are going to send someone out to look at it...

And they are also going to send me an insurance claim form!