Gearing Up

marchant
marchant Posts: 362
edited August 2009 in The workshop
Just a quick question; after just shy of a year on my new bike, I've come to the realisation that I've never used the "granny ring", and that with only a couple of sections I'm on the big ring for most of my admittedly fairly flat commute. How easy would it be to raise the chainring gearing on the bike and am I likely to need a new derailleur? BTW I'm not using the "easy" half of my cassette either, so if it's simpler/cheaper, I could change them instead.

Comments

• JonS123
    JonS123 Posts: 171
    It depends on your chainset, cheaper ones tend to have non-changable chainrings, though everything else should have - easy way to tell is to look at teh chain rings and see how they are attached to the crank - if they are held on by 5 small bolts then you can easily change them.

As for your cassette it depends on the size of the smallest cog, the smallest you can buy are cassettes starting at 11T, if yours has anything else, getting one starting at 11t will be an advantage
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    You will curse yourself when you do a sportive or long ride with a big hill in it!

In truth the expense is likely to be more than it's worth - especially since you don't seem to be lacking for gears either.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What chainset, cassette and ratios are you currently using?

What cadence are you at when at max speed?