Get the pedals of.....

jamLCFC
jamLCFC Posts: 197
edited February 2010 in Family & kids cycling forum
This is his first pushbike that started out as a fixed wheel. From all the suggestions on balance bikes we opted to modify it in order to see if we can get him riding. Within a week he has progressed to warp speed shuffling around the garden...

pedalsa.jpg

He has become so confident on it(and to much time watching xtreme sports) that we have added a little obstacle course to the garden

pedalsb.jpg

...and finally the mandatory me and my bike pose. The problem that we have now of course is that he is like a little whippet on the `balance bike` and getting him to practice on the pedal bike is nearly impossible because ` its to slow Daddy`

pedalsc.jpg

The helmet is a kids moto x helmet and cost £25 at last years bike show. Such a great investment as he has had some bumps and spills that i think the ordinary cycle helmet would not have helped with

All part of the fun and the balance bike / pedals of idea really works and i am sure he will be pedalling as soon as he decides he wants to.

======================================================================
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Compulsive tinkerer....my ideas far far outway my ability and that makes things costly !!

Comments

• jamLCFC
    ......and today he as started riding properly. We make that 3 weeks from pedals of to riding properly.Not bad for a kid of 3 1/2.........proud father :D

======================================================================
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Compulsive tinkerer....my ideas far far outway my ability and that makes things costly !!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    It's when you see him on the PC looking at sites such as CRC & wiggle rather than Cbeebies you know you've got problems with him :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • jamLCFC
    redvee wrote:
    It's when you see him on the PC looking at sites such as CRC & wiggle rather than Cbeebies you know you've got problems with him :lol:

those are very wise words :shock:

• baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    Tidy work jamLCFC!
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • jamLCFC
    ...and we had our first collision the other night as he managed to run his baby brother over in the garden. No harm done just a few tears. :roll:

So i guess its now time for training on the benefits of brakes ...

• aralice
    aralice Posts: 1
    hi this is great can i just ask :

how big are the wheels?

it seems that 10in wheels bike with chain are not easyly available...
    I'm not sure if 12in are too big

thanks for your advises
    ila
  • jamLCFC
    the tyres on the no pedal bike are 10 inch but he is now riding a 14 inch tyre bike.

The knack to the no pedals is being able to get as much of the foot on the ground as possible so the bike will very much depend on your childs hieght.

Good Luck.

• baudman
    THIS is a really good video, which shows the progression of learning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwebrL5oZYE

(It's an ad - but it works for any runbike). And I agree, they need to be flat footed (or more) to gain confidence in the early stages.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • Hi JamLCFC - love the pictures :lol:

My 4yr old has just started to lean to ride without his stabilises. It's early days as I can't let go of his seat yet, but I hope eventually that he's going to be a chip off the old block (just like his old Dad) :D:D:D
  • jamLCFC
    your right great clip for pedalless bikes.

The thing is that getting them pedalling is only the start. As we have found over the last few weeks he wants to go everywhere at 100 mph and has no concept of the dangers around him.

I have started playing a game in the garden that when daddy shouts stop he must put his brakes on. Its taken a while but we are starting to get there.

He has discoveed how easily the bike moves so all down a pathway he goes along zig zagging so that stops us going anywhere near roads. Let alone the fact that he is pedalling like mad and trying to see what the dog on the other side of the road is barking at.

...and of course he has heard mummy and daddy ring the bell on their bikes so that people know we are behind them. Imagine him trying to ring the bell as well as all the other things.

It has made me realise that getting him to ride is only the start.........but it is good fun!! :D

**********************************************************************************************

• very good idea there, i will be getting bikes for my kids and teaching them
    my son is 3 and a half, about the same age so thats gonna be fun,lol and my daughter who will be 7 in october, so i dont think i will need to take the pedals off for her, just a set of stabilisers to begin with
    shouldnt be to bad as she has a lot of common sense and a great sense of balance (unlike me lol)
  • baudman
    ... so i dont think i will need to take the pedals off for her, just a set of stabilisers to begin with...

She has good balance? So go the other way around - take the pedals off AND the stabilisers. It may only take an afternoon.
  • baudman
    Visited a mate's new bike shop on Saturday. 3.5yr old had to have some stickers. Got home. She wanted to put the stickers on her bike. She had no idea what they said.

3844203513_3fec6b882d.jpg
  • jamLCFC wrote:
    the tyres on the no pedal bike are 10 inch but he is now riding a 14 inch tyre bike.

The knack to the no pedals is being able to get as much of the foot on the ground as possible so the bike will very much depend on your childs hieght.

Good Luck.

Sorry to resurect an old thread, but just wondering where you got your sons bike with 10" wheels with chain? I've searched everywhere and I can't find one for my daughter. She's a wee bit short for a 12" but is desperate for a grown up bike!
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    Hi JamLCFC - love the pictures :lol:

My 4yr old has just started to lean to ride without his stabilises. It's early days as I can't let go of his seat yet, but I hope eventually that he's going to be a chip off the old block (just like his old Dad) :D:D:D

Don't hold the seat, just keep your hand on his back, giving him a little help. If you hold the seat, the bike tends to go where you're pushing, which might not be
    quite where he's steering it.

(We've just taught our 53rd kid to ride this year. 8) )
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • jamLCFC
    jamLCFC wrote:

Good Luck.

Sorry to resurect an old thread, but just wondering where you got your sons bike with 10" wheels with chain? I've searched everywhere and I can't find one for my daughter. She's a wee bit short for a 12" but is desperate for a grown up bike!

Sorry for the delay only just read through your question.

This is a Magna bike that my mum purchased through one of the sports shops. JJB i think. You can always search through Ebay as they have an option for results by wheel size. Hope that helps.

• baudman
    More proof.

Picked up this hold heap of a bike in hardrubbish months back. Her little buddy also acquired a similar one (altho, he got the girl's version). Anywayz, he was in stabilizer hell, so they borrowed a runbike and two weeks later he's riding like a demon.

So, my daughter utters those words... 'Can I ride a bike with pedals?'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-J7-Yez-m8 - that's her first, and second tries, respectively, in the one shot.

(Apologies for low quality - shot and edited on my phone).