Jens Voigt - update

NervexProf
NervexProf Posts: 4,202
edited August 2009 in Pro race
A vid of Jens from his hospital bed:

http://www.saxobanktakingthelead.com/?p=1217
Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom

Comments

• I don't think I've ever seen anything so scray!! He is one hard man!
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    The video is a week or more old by now.
    Voigt was operated on about 3 days ago, because it was found a splinter on his broken jawbone ran the risk of piercing into the inside of his mouth. It was also found he has a blood clot in the head which is slowly dispersing but means at the moment he probably doesn't move his head around as much as he did in the video.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You know...everytime I hear that man talking I just feel guilty somehow....I feel guilty because of that mans 'niceness'?...he's such a wonderful friendly guy...we could maybe all learn something from him?

I remember him giving a mountain top finish away to a small climber in the Giro a few years ago...just because the little climber had done more work on the climb...was it Garate?...Voigt just tapped his back and told him to go and the little climber was pointing back to Jens as he crossed the line...basically saying 'the mans class'...and he is.

He took it all so personally when he helped CSC close down Jan Ullrich down in the 2004 TDF on an alpine stage...he was just following orders and was spat upon and berated by german supporters the next again day on the Alpe TT...he's such a nice guy that he was emotionally destroyed afterwards...

And here he is after a devastating crash...all bashed up in his bed...and he's still so humble and nice....

Voigts one of my favo riders...the guy is a genuine gem of a fella...I hope to see him riding again soon giving it his usual 100%.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    I hope the guy recovers well - he always gives 100% to the team and his chances of winning are always secondary to the team. However a side issue to Jens Voigt.

Voigt was an outspoken critic during the TdF when team radios were banned on 2 stages- highlighting that it was a safety issue. Ironic then that team radios neither contributed to or assisted in, the accident he was involved in and the injuries he suffered. Point here is that the safety issue was and remains a red herring and it was entirely to ensure that the strong teams could continue to control the race.
  • csp
    csp Posts: 777
    This picture is an other example of how nice a guy he is. Taken after the 2008 Tour of California prologue and another crash.

2275674626_df5c3397e8.jpg
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    I hope the guy recovers well - he always gives 100% to the team and his chances of winning are always secondary to the team. However a side issue to Jens Voigt.

Voigt was an outspoken critic during the TdF when team radios were banned on 2 stages- highlighting that it was a safety issue. Ironic then that team radios neither contributed to or assisted in, the accident he was involved in and the injuries he suffered. Point here is that the safety issue was and remains a red herring and it was entirely to ensure that the strong teams could continue to control the race.

except when he crashed motorbikes, other riders and cars nearly ran in to him on the ground so the radios will have helped by tellin everyone behind whats around next corner
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    Reminds me of Arnie in Total Recall when he sees the video f himself before his memory got wiped. "I'm YOU!"
  • He's a great rider and seems like a great bloke. Remember at the TDF last year when his saddle broke off on the Champs and some interviewer asked him what had happened and he said "my saddle fell off", great response to a daft question.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    What a shiner! What a star! Hope Ole whatsit has been in to sort him out (as seen in Overcoming).
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • Noosa
    Noosa Posts: 15
    Good old Ole 'Sastre hasn't a clue what you are saying" Fooooourrrrrllllllliiiiiiiii

What a champ, a modern day Mr Miyagi :D
  • nolance
    nolance Posts: 79
    This must be from well over a week ago as I saw Jens Voigt in Lyon airport last Sunday(26 July),he didn't look 100% but was nowhere near as bad as in the vid.His face was a bit marked and a bandage on his finger or thumb,quite surprised how tall he is.I know they always call him"big Jens Voigt" ,must have been 6ft 2 at least.
    Was going to approach him and wish him well but after seeing his Mavic incident I thought better of it.