Tyre pressures in hot climates

suffolk rider
suffolk rider Posts: 103
edited August 2009 in Tour & expedition
I have just been told an alarming story about a cyclist whose tyres exploded when the temperature got really hot in Southern Europe. Does anyone have any experience of this, or suggestions to avoid it? I am off to Spain in a couple of days and would rather avoid this!
Presumably tyre pressures should be reduced below their maximum when the temperature gets hot, and then checked regularly?

Comments

• Keep the tyres properly inflated. The thing to check is that no part of a brake block or anything else comes into contact with the tyre. If this happens when riding downhill fast the tyre heats up and then explodes off the rim - quite nasty if you are riding a heavily laden bike. Make sure the blocks have not twisted on their fixings. This has happened to me in the Pyrenees not a pleasant experience, plus you have to push the bike to the nearest town village if there is a lot of damage. Remember check the bike before setting off and carry a spare tyre.
    The more you spend - the faster you go - the less you see.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Riding in south and east of Spain in summer is just mad - really don't do it.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • stevenmh
    stevenmh Posts: 180
    I ride frequently in temperatures between 30 and 40 and have never (touch wood) have anything explode. I even ride through the midday sun at times which is just mad and despite riding at high speeds (high for me anyhow) so far so good.

If it is very hot, try to ride earlier. I left home today 3 hours or so later than normal and the difference in temperature, and on your body, is extreme. Plus being closer to the equator does not help!

I tend to inflate tires by touch rather than a full psi.

Have a great trip.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    The only situation that would make riding in high heat dangerous for tyres would be on long descents where as mentioned above heavy use of the brakes can create a massive heat buildup in the rims combined with little cooling effect from the hot air. And even that is usually not enough to cause an explosion on any clincher tyre. Just don't inflate the tyres above the max pressure and you'll have nothing to worry about.
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Probably left the bike parked in the sun. With black tyres and no air flow, the temperature of the tyre would get very high - probably even higher than braking on a long descent would cause.
    If the tyre pressure have been checked first thing in the morning, it could be as much as 50% higher due to the heat.

Moral: park the shady side of the street (makes the saddle more comfy to sit on too)
  • ralex
    ralex Posts: 85
    I reckon that assuming a temperature rise from 20C to 70C for the air in the tyres, and no increase in volume, then you would be looking at a pressure rise from 100psi to 117psi (17percent) which should be within the safe limits of most quality tyres. Obviously if the temperature rose higher than that then the pressure would be greater, I don't know what the likely temperature would be in reality?
  • moorjohn
    moorjohn Posts: 89
    I left my touring/commuting bike outside work in the sun all day a couple of years ago (south of England). On the way home the (slack, old) tyre popped off the front rim with the pressure. Nothing dramatic, and I heard the 'blumph,blumph' as the wheel went round, so stopped, let some air out + popped it back on.

But if I was cycling in Spain in summer: facing long, twisty mountainous descents I'd check the pressure with my thumb before starting after lunch, and let a bit of air out if the tyre seemed very hard.
  • Thanks for all your helpful comments. As it happens, I did suffer one loud puncture climbing a mountain, but that may have been due to old tyre or inner tube, and a most helpful Spaniard kindly took me to a nearby bike shop where I got the suspect tyre replaced, and also assured me that I need not worry about high pressures. After that, no problems.
  • Thanks for all your helpful comments. As it happens, I did suffer one loud puncture climbing a mountain, but that may have been due to an old tyre or inner tube, and a most helpful Spaniard kindly took me to a nearby bike shop where I got the suspect tyre replaced. He also assured me that I need not worry about high pressures in local conditions. After that, no problems.
  • Thanks for all your helpful comments. As it happens, I did suffer one loud puncture climbing a mountain, but that may have been due to an old tyre or inner tube, and a most helpful Spaniard kindly took me to a nearby bike shop where I got the suspect tyre replaced. He also assured me that I need not worry about high pressures in local conditions. After that, no problems.
  • Marcw
    Marcw Posts: 28
    Sorry, what did you say?