Has anybody ever tried a low carb high protein diet?

irvini
irvini Posts: 44
edited September 2009 in Health, fitness & training
Day one of omelette and bacon for breakfast cooked in butter????
It's only a couple of weeks so I'll give it a try but I've got to keep my carb intake below 40g.
I've got a chest infection (not swine flu - I checked) at the moment so not out on my bike but my worry is when I do go out I'll be like a lifeless sack of spuds without any carbohydrate.

And the reason why I'm not just eating less is because I am mentally weak, I simply can't just have one biscuit, I can't do it, it's like an illness.
So I thought I'd try something where I can eat stuff I like but without having to restrict quantity.

And I'm a sucker for a fad. To put that into perspective I was one of the few hundred people who bought a laser disc player and a minidisc player. And I still hanker after a SInclair C5.

So just curious if people have tried it, if it worked and if they had a coronary before week 3.
It's here it's now it's disappointingly lacking in any real knowledge, http://blogs.liverpoolecho.co.uk/acyclistslife/

Comments

• my wife has been avoiding carbs for a few years now. she started by virtually cutting them out completely for the first few weeks. as per the fad diet.
    It works for her but as with everything whats good for one is not always good for others.
    She tries to carry low carb snacks about with her because if you don't keep topped up your energy levels drop off very quickly.
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    I was selected for a 'new year, new you' challenge at a gym at the start of March and have carried it on since - get trained (ten minute sessions, it's a different approach to 'normal' gyms) in the mornings and have had food plans to follow.

One plan is low-carb / low-fat / high-protein:

Breakfast: 1 x fat-free natural yoghurt tub (500ml, Onken etc.) with handful of fruit
    Dinner: Tin of tuna and salad
    Tea: 450g-ish of lean meat and vegetables

Other plan was high-fat / high-protein:

Breakfast: Omelette (1 whole egg and 2 x egg whites)
    Dinner: Tin of mackerel / salmon and salad (with olive oil). 100g of nuts.
    Tea: 250g-ish of meat and vegetables (sauces etc. allowed)

Starting weight in March was 13st 11lbs (87.7kg) and I was measured yesterday at 12st (76.4kg) - I've found myself sticking to the first plan recently, it's a bit more 'summery' and not as heavy.

I have found myself drifting every now and then, there's been a number of days I've found myself just grabbing a sandwich rather than having a tin of tuna (although I make sure it's got protein in it...bacon and egg / meat feast etc.). I also don't think it's practical to live a life not having the odd chocolate bar / cake (and I love cake!) - and there's points where you need a beer!

It's definitely working though, my waist has gone from 39in down to 34.5in and I feel healthier for it.
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • irvini
    Been reading about my new low carb life this morning and what I like is the simplicity, avoid this and eat that.

Whereas when I've tried to lose weight before, it's more a case of 'just don't eat as much' but I find I'm the sort of person who needs proper rules, eg I find it difficult to focus on work without a proper deadline.

So finger's crossed, I'll be flying up those hills soon without the need to spend £400 on a carbon crankset.
    It's here it's now it's disappointingly lacking in any real knowledge, http://blogs.liverpoolecho.co.uk/acyclistslife/
  • p.fitz
    p.fitz Posts: 66
    very interesting will keep watching thread and participate also....
    Who put that hill there..!!!!!!!!..
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    That's funny - only seconds ago I was bemoaning my expanding gut, then I logged on here and this was the top topic. Anyone believe in fate...?
    :shock: :roll:

Anyway, I spend far too long sat in a truck thinking about food to just cut down significantly, so I might have to chuck my helmet in the ring (that don't 'alf sound dodgy!) and give this a try. Eat a lot of cereal and sandwiches as a rule as I'm always on the move and keep random hours.

Guess I should take some measurements and post them on here so that there's some 'incentive' from you 'orrible lot! :wink:
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • irvini
    Day two

Actually enjoyed my smoked haddock and cheese for breakfast.
    Only problem is seem to be suffering from a slight headache and a bit of lethargy.
    I presume this must be carbohydrate withdrawal but difficult to tell because I pride myself on feeling lethargic a lot of the time.
    Haven't dared touch the scales yet just in case I'm starving myself of toast for no reason.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Be careful you don't start going too far. Too low a carb intake can start ketoacidosis, causing potential kidney damage, muscle wastage and eye damage.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Why not just exercise regularly and eat a balanced diet?
  • Phippsy
    Phippsy Posts: 26
    I too used to suffer from the fad diet and tried this myself fo a couple of weeks a few years back.

You do feel odd during the first few days, then you get your energy back when your body works out what's going on.

It does work too, I lost almost a stone in two weeks, but unfortunately my love of bread and potatoes was my downfall. I've tried all sorts and the only thing that has worked is regular exercise and a balanced diet.

Boring, but true.

It does get a bit annoying cooking a whole fry up every morning too.
  • irvini
    I fear the most sensible option of balanced diet and exercise is the one that will actually work.
    But that's just boring, I'm a sucker for a gimmick.
    Starting to feel a little better on an evening but still feel rough first thing of a morning, it's like a hangover but without the fun bit of getting drunk.

Day 4 and waiting for big weigh in on day 7.
  • Secla
    Secla Posts: 71
    Be careful you don't start going too far. Too low a carb intake can start ketoacidosis, causing potential kidney damage, muscle wastage and eye damage.

thats actually not quite correct, the whole point of a low carb is to get into "ketosis" which is basically when your body is burning fat for energy instead of its preffered sourced of carbs, you will feel lathargic for a week or so while your body is working it all out

Ketoacidosis is something usually seen in people starving themselves and untreated diabetics where there is a very low blood ph
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Secla wrote:

thats actually not quite correct, the whole point of a low carb is to get into "ketosis" which is basically when your body is burning fat for energy instead of its preffered sourced of carbs, you will feel lathargic for a week or so while your body is working it all out

Ketoacidosis is something usually seen in people starving themselves and untreated diabetics where there is a very low blood ph

and ketoacidosis is something that's good for the body, right? where am i not quite correct, you have agreed with me.

ketoacidosis can be dangerous.

from wikipedia

"Ketoacidosis is an extreme and uncontrolled form of ketosis, which is a normal response to prolonged fasting. In ketoacidosis, the body fails to adequately regulate ketone production causing such a severe accumulation of keto acids that the pH of the blood is substantially decreased. In extreme cases ketoacidosis can be fatal."
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Secla
    Secla Posts: 71
    yup it is dangerous but it is not something that comes from a low carb diet

heres a little clip ive taken from another website:

Being in ketosis by following a low carbohydrate diet is NOT dangerous. The human body was designed to use ketones very efficiently as fuel in the absence of glucose. However, the word ketosis is often confused with a similar word, ketoacidosis.

Ketoacidosis is a dangerous condition for diabetics, and the main element is ACID not ketones. The blood pH becomes dangerously acidic because of an extremely high blood SUGAR level (the diabetic has no insulin, or doesn't respond to insulin .... so blood sugar rises ... ketones are produced by the body to provide the fuel necessary for life, since the cells can't use the sugar). It's the high blood sugar, and the acid condition that is so dangerous. Ketones just happen to be a part of the picture, and are a RESULT of the condition, not the CAUSE. Diabetics can safely follow a ketogenic diet to lose fat weight ... but they must be closely monitored by their health care provider, and blood sugars need to be kept low, and stable.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think another thing that needs to be kept in check with high protein diets is your sodium intake. All that bacon!
  • irvini
    Big weigh in tomorrow morning
    I've done alright -got a bit carried away with the yoghurt and nuts side of things without realising quite how quickly those carbs added up.
    But let's just see.
    Oh and I did drink coffee on some of the days but it was either that or fall asleep at work.
    I'd like to lose a few lbs but not keen on losing my job in the process.
  • irvini
    Well welll well, I've lost 2kg in seven days.
    I can't believe that after the huge amounts of cheese, bacon and cream I've consumed.

It might all be water but something's going on, might have a weekend off but not go too wild and try it again next week, see what happens
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I thought research on the Atkins diet basically found no physiological/metabolic reasons for it working it's simply that protein makes you feel fuller (per gram) so you eat less. A balanced diet with controlled portion sizes is a better option...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I always find that if I go for a ride and haven't eaten enough carbs, I hit the wall very quickly, and my legs turn to jelly.
    Found out after years of experimentation, that Fish and Chips is crap fuel for riding.

Maybe cutting down a bit on carbs, not cutting them out might work for me though?
  • The reason for the big weight loss is mainly down to depletion of glycogen in the liver and some water loss due but both due to the lack of carbs.

I also think this form of "dieting" is extremely bad as it promotes a high amount of animal fats to be consumed in the form of dairy and fatty cuts of meat such as bacon. The assumption is that any fat sources go but realistically is the goods fats (Essential Fatty Acids) thats you should really be consuming. Long term you may well lose weight but you'll find that body fat may well increase and will tend to form around internal organs in attempt to protect them from the increased acidic environment that these bad fats put upon the body.

Personally you'd be better of sticking to lean cuts of white meat like chicken and fish, oily fish like salmon and haddock, occassional eggs, small amounts of complex carbs like oats and brown basmati rice and plenty of salads and green veg which are excellent fillers.
    Chas Roberts - DOGSBOLX
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    a high amount of animal fats to be consumed

Do a little research on that and you might be surprised - animal fats being bad for us is not universally accepted and evidence to support it is sketchy (although your examples of pasteurised dairy and processed bacon I won't even attempt to defend). Not so long ago everyone was told eggs were evil, all fat should be minimised and grains were recommended over fruits and veg on the food pyramid - things change.

I don't see why diets need to be complicated - if you only eat things that haven't been processed (as humans have generally done until recent times) then you're very unlikely to be fat since it's so hard to overeat those things. Unfortunately the companies with the money win and people think drivel like the special k diet are good things.
  • pastryboy wrote:
    a high amount of animal fats to be consumed

Do a little research on that and you might be surprised - animal fats being bad for us is not universally accepted and evidence to support it is sketchy (although your examples of pasteurised dairy and processed bacon I won't even attempt to defend). Not so long ago everyone was told eggs were evil, all fat should be minimised and grains were recommended over fruits and veg on the food pyramid - things change.

I don't see why diets need to be complicated - if you only eat things that haven't been processed (as humans have generally done until recent times) then you're very unlikely to be fat since it's so hard to overeat those things. Unfortunately the companies with the money win and people think drivel like the special k diet are good things.

The key to what I said being "high amounts". Moderation is fine but my is issue is to draw the majority of fats from animal sources which long term isn't a good plan. I've not even mentioned the biggest issue with fatty cuts of meat, that being it's acidity but thats realy for another thread. Eggs I have no issue with as they contain good cholesterol. For good fat sources I would choose Fish Oil, Avocado Oil, Coconut Oil and Hemp Oil. Add to this nuts, especially almonds, eggs, oily fish and pretty much all good fat profiles are covered.
    Chas Roberts - DOGSBOLX
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Fair enough - I think a lot of people don't realise that animal fat can be good, grass fed beef for example has loads of omega 3.
  • cycle your diet simple as!!!!!! all that weight that is being lost how much of it is muscle???
    have a high carb breakfast then before exercise another high carb meal..rest of your meals low carb..
  • irvini
    Gotta say I'm back on the carbs now and have so much more energy out on my bike.
    Another plus is I'm far less irritable, you've got to try these things to see if they work for you but I think if you're exercising for more than 10 hours per week then a low carb diet is a little silly because you will end up burning muscle.

What it has made me realise is just how much bread I was eating so here's diet no 2:
    Porridge with blueberries, seeds for breakfast
    apple and few brazils mid-morning
    healthy sandwich - no mayonnaise and made with real meat for lunch
    Yoghurt and fruit in afternoon
    Home-made chicken curry for dinner - no carbs apart from in peppers/tomatoes in sauce
    low fat cottage cheese for snack

Nice balanced diet - just got to resist cakes/biscuits but much easier to resist fast food after various TV documentaries
  • my personal experience

start weight 17st 3lb

atkins for 3 months and managed to get to about 15.5st
    Moved to red day / green day and started going to the gym 3 times a week
    Then started calorie / fat counting combined with the gym

After a year down to 13 1/2 stone

My daughter was born, i had to quit the gym as I couldn't afford it and now 4 years later I am back at 17 1/2 st

Still, bought my first bike in 15 years on Saturday so hopefully here we go again!

Interestingly, while on the atking my chiolesterol dropped from 5.5 to 3.5