Ex-hire bikes

Hamishjcb
Hamishjcb Posts: 16
edited August 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi, there. Some advice, please, on whether it can be good value for money to purchase an ex-hire bike from somewhere like Rutland Cycles. I've been visiting Rutland Water this week, and enjoyed the circular cycle route around the lake (I learned to cycle from scratch a couple of months ago so am still finding my feet). I tried out a Specialized Myka HT Expert whilst there, and was hoping to hire this for half a day to see how I got on with it (my old Raleigh is full suspension, but as it only cost £200 or so 7 years ago is rather a tank to ride!). Unfortunately, we were rained out and had to leave our camp site a day early, so I didn't get to ride the bike in earnest, but it felt brilliant just riding it around the carpark. The bike is on offer as an end-of-season ex-hire sale for only £375, which seems amazing for a bike worth £640 or so. But are the risks too great buying an ex-hire bike, which may have been badly ridden and damaged? Has anyone out there any experience of having bought an ex-hire like this? :?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If in good condition, can be worth it.

Do they offer any limited guarantee with it?
  • Hamishjcb
    Hamishjcb Posts: 16
    supersonic wrote:
    If in good condition, can be worth it.

Do they offer any limited guarantee with it?

They say that they ensure that the purchaser gets the balance of the warranty from the manufacturer, which wouldn't normally be the case for a second hand purchase. But I guess Rutland Cycles buy so many bikes each year they can drive a hard bargain. I gather they ensure the ex-hire bikes they sell are all in good working order, with any worn or damaged parts replaced, so there should only be superficial scratches in theory. The one I tried had a bent rear derailleur which they said was easily fixable, but made me a little nervous that there may be other damage if the bike had taken a bad knock.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Bought an ex-demo in Wales for the ex-girlfriend from Wales. It was far more trusty worthy than she was!
    ahem
    They get looked over after every ride, serviced by a professional, ours came with new cables and a new chain and was a fantastic ridel. 550pound GT, bought for 250pound, sold on Ebay 9 month later for 325!!
    When I replace my current full suss I'll be getting either an ex demo or last seasons model as they are brilliant value for money.
  • Bought an ex-demo in Wales for the ex-girlfriend from Wales. It was far more trusty worthy than she was!
    ahem
    They get looked over after every ride, serviced by a professional, ours came with new cables and a new chain and was a fantastic ridel. 550pound GT, bought for 250pound, sold on Ebay 9 month later for 325!!
    When I replace my current full suss I'll be getting either an ex demo or last seasons model as they are brilliant value for money.

Thanks, that's really helpful to know. TVM!
    (Hamishjcb)
  • er you do realise the Myka is a womens frame...
    Turner 5Spot '11
    Spesh Rockhopper '08
    Cube Agree HPA '10
  • er you do realise the Myka is a womens frame...

No worries, I am a woman actually. (Hence my small size, although I guess I could have been a midget...) But thanks for the post, I can see that "hamishjcb" could sound male. Actually, Hamish is the name of the first bear my husband bought me when we started going out....
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Hamishjcb wrote:
    Hamish is the name of the first bear my husband bought me when we started going out....

Very romantic... I don't think I have space for a bear at my house though! My next lady will just have to accept rose...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    if hamish is the name of your fist bear, why the jcb part? as a plant fitter i genuinely hope its because you love jcb's.

i bought an ex demo bionicon a short while back and it was ace, the guy (ste at abbey cycles, ace bloke) threw in some new spare brake pads, a stans kit and continued a full guarantee. alot of this guarantee was because bionicon are an ace company and when the rear pivot bearing wore out, they sent me a pair no questions asked and did the same when i needed some new air hose.

i was always concious that the bike was wearing scratches i hadnt made but i got about 700 quid off of the rrp and it was in perfect mechanical condition so was a good buy.
  • I bought one of the ex-demo 'ride-it' bikes from Evans last year. That had certainly been well-used, but before it was shipped, it had a full strip-down service. And it came with a 12month warranty. It has some terrible cable rub in places, but as sheepsteeth says above, you can look past that knowing that mechanically, it's like new and you got massive amounts off the New price.
  • mugs
    mugs Posts: 46
    Just today I collected an ex-hire bike from Perth City Cycles (Scott Aspect 45) and it's great. sure it has a few scratches and scrapes, but they're light and nothing more than I'd be likely to put on it myself the first couple of times out. Plus it's nicely bedded in, fully set up and sorted straight out of the box. Overall I'm well chuffed with it, and as it's been in use it even has a few handy extras like bottle cage, aftermarket comfy saddle and chainstay protector. Nice, plus the price was a total steal (IMO) and they offer a warranty and 3 month tuneup.

Overall I'd say as long as the discount is decent there's little to worry about, and it can be safer for a beginner than buying off a stranger.
  • fuelex
    fuelex Posts: 165
    I've been to Rutland Water a few times and demo'd a specialized enduro for a half day before I bought mine. They seem like a good bunch and the ex demo stuff does look pretty good.
    I don't think there's anywhere that rough on the loop around the lake where you could do any real damage to a bike.
  • if hamish is the name of your fist bear, why the jcb part? as a plant fitter i genuinely hope its because you love jcb's.

Let's just say my husband calls me chugchug...

Many thanks for the info about your positive experience of buying ex-hire. Having spent the weekend searching for good ex-hire or ex-demo deals, I've actually ended up with a spanking new bike instead, but for an excellent price as it's a 2009 model and the store was clearing out all 09 stock to make way for the 2010 range. So I've ended up with a lovely full-suss (Specialized Myka FSR) for little more than the cost of the 2010 hardtail equivalent. Worth the 90 mile round trip to fetch it home! Looking forward to playing with my new toy tomorrow....
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Hamishjcb wrote:
    Let's just say my husband calls me chugchug...
    Ahh, easy. Then you love downing beers!!

8)
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Anonymous
    Hamishjcb wrote:

Many thanks for the info about your positive experience of buying ex-hire. Having spent the weekend searching for good ex-hire or ex-demo deals, I've actually ended up with a spanking new bike instead, but for an excellent price as it's a 2009 model and the store was clearing out all 09 stock to make way for the 2010 range. So I've ended up with a lovely full-suss (Specialized Myka FSR) for little more than the cost of the 2010 hardtail equivalent. Worth the 90 mile round trip to fetch it home! Looking forward to playing with my new toy tomorrow....

oh, it warms my heart when someone looking for a hardtail buys a full sus bike instead, especially when they buy a good one.

get some pics of it posted as soon as you can, you will soon realise we are all bike pervs.
  • supersonic
    What is a good one though?!
  • Anonymous
    your question impllies that the myka fsr isnt a good one?
  • supersonic
    Not at all. It imples they vary, as do hardtails, depending on our needs and what we like.
  • Anonymous
    maybe its just what i infer.

as it happens, a good one is a well made frame with a damped and adjustable shock and good components. not exactly rocket science.
  • supersonic
    Bit more to it than that, but is a start ;-). Geometry, sus design? Some have a lot of kickback or bob.
  • stuart_c-2
    stuart_c-2 Posts: 805
    Cat With No Tail, how did you go about getting the ex "Ride It" bike? Who did you contact? I did wonder myself if this was an option.

A few cable rub marks wouldn't bother me, it's going to get bounced off a tree eventually. :lol:
    "I ride to eat"
  • i'm with you....how do u get to know where and or when ex rental bikes are for sale????? any links of where to check out?