not losing any weight despite exercise (lots of)??

renton
renton Posts: 487
edited August 2009 in Health, fitness & training
right i after some help here as im at my wits end!!

basically over the past 2 or so months Ive drastically changed my diet and exercise regime and i haven't lost any weight??

basically ive cut all spoons of sugar( i worked it out at 23 spoonfuls a day!!) and coffee from my diet .

ive also upped the amount of exercise ive been doing to 4 times a week for an hour at a time .

im just not losing any weight??

why is this ?

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Might be that you are losing weight in the form of fat you are burning off but it is being replaced by the muscle you are now developing from all the excercise. Muscle weighs more than fat.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • mhuk
    mhuk Posts: 327
    I'm no expert but if the calorific value of the food you consume is greater than the calories burnt during exercise you'll not lose weight. There are some online calorie food calculators (I'm sure google will find them). Do you drink - booze has loads of calories?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What type of exercise? Certain rates will burn fat off.

23 spoons of sugar is about 350 cals. Better than you were, but if you are still eating 3500 a day then that will need to be addressed.
  • Fat burn rate is something like 60% of your VO2 max... its not a very high intensity. However you need to exercise for over an hour to see any benefits.

I suggest you look at your diet a bit closer... If you would like any guidance then send me a PM... Just graduated with a degree in nutrition so I may as well make use of it :lol:
  • renton
    this is what my daily diet looks like...........

brekkie.
    small glass orange juice
    cup of tea
    large bowl of cereal with skimmed milk

snack at 10.00
    handful of raisins and a yogurt

lunch .
    soup
    3 slices of bread unbuttered.

afternoon snack.

cereal bar

tea
    jacket spud with tuna or whatever the wifes cooking!!

drinking lots of water through the day too and dont eat after 7 at nite.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have you lost any inches off your waist?
  • Looks like you might not be taking on board enough calories if that's a true representation of your daily meals.
    Starting Weight: 25 st 13.44 lbs - On: 20/05/09
    Current Weight: 16 st 7 lbs - On: 10/11/12
    Weight Loss: 9 st 6.44 lbs
    Current BMR: 2095 Calories
  • renton
    isn't that the whole idea of losing weight though to reduce your calories??
  • Nik_B
    Nik_B Posts: 270
    Starve yourself and you're body apparently can lower it's metabolism to conserve energy.
  • Tino4444
    Tino4444 Posts: 281
    renton wrote:
    isn't that the whole idea of losing weight though to reduce your calories??

Hi,

Have you checked your BMI? Do you actually need to lose any weight?

I obviously dont know you or your weight but with a diet like you have if you had a lot of weight to lose then it would no doubt drop off!

Did you do any excercise prior to the last few months? if not then you will also be building muscle which is also more dense than fat, and also any fat that you have lost may not be visual on the scales due to the muscle gain.

I have lost 4 stone in just over a year and when I got down to the last half stone that I wanted to lose it was much more difficult to shed the weight too.

Maybe try monitoring your progress with a tape measure as well as the weighing scales.

Good luck.

Tino
    Speciallized Allez 09...great bike shame about the wheels!!
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Hi Renton,

You dont provide enough info in your original or subsequent posts. How much do you weigh? What kind of build/height are you? What kind of exercise are you doing and at what intensity? Are you staying constant in weight of have you noticed fluctuations up and down when you weigh yourself?

The diet you set out looks like it would probably come in around 1500-2000 cals (which is not too few if you are looking to lose weight and would not be incompatible with a moderate exercise regime) so coupled with even moderatley intense exercise for 4 hours a week you would expect to see some weight loss.

The question of how much do you really need to lose is a good one: weight doesnt fly off you when you are already relatively lean without intense levels of exercise or a real cut back on calories.

If you are looking slimmer - have you lost anything round the waist? - then should you be worrying about weight in the first place? Weight can be a red herring if you are feeling fitter and looking slimmer.
  • muscle always weighs more than fat, which is frustrating because you may be looking leaner and more toned but the scales aren't showing a drastic change!