Sussex: steepest or longest climbs?

2»

Comments

• vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    You lucky people. I live on the Devon Somerset border and there are no significant hills here. It must be great to live somewhere similar to the Alps
  • Kidds Hill it is steep but not that long or that tough really, did it on Sunday afternoon. It's near me in Tunbridge Wells; runs down or up from Ashdown Forest. York's Hill (Catford CC Hill Climb Venue) is far worse IMO, in Kent though!
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Flanners1 wrote:
    Kidds Hill it is steep but not that long or that tough really, did it on Sunday afternoon. It's near me in Tunbridge Wells; runs down or up from Ashdown Forest. York's Hill (Catford CC Hill Climb Venue) is far worse IMO, in Kent though!
    Kent does has some great climbs to offer, which would be close enough to the OP in Hastings. Hollingbourne Hill is a belter and there's several others in that area too, you would be looking at a 70-80 miler to fit them in.
  • gavinbay
    gavinbay Posts: 144
    Just been getting back into doing some miles on the bike and recently have been doing some hills that I used to do when I did a fair bit of riding - my club Worthing Excelsior used a couple of climbs for their hilly time trial - and last weekend did Ditchling which I have not done for a while - anyway if you think Bostal from Stening is nasty try Kithurst/Springhead and Chantry you can view these hills here on a recent hilly ride I did. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/52033631]

However as someone has already mentioned Bignor from the North Side - looking at the OS map ( for all the South Downs) is has two double chevrons on it which no other hill has in Sussex (please correct me if I'm wrong).

bignor.jpg and game plan is to try and do this tomorrow but I think I might not have the gears / legs, though the guy I'm doing it with is one of the top Time Triallers in Sussex!
  • gavinbay
    gavinbay Posts: 144
    Did Bignor this morning...........

Damn cold first thing and we headed out up over Steyning (the easy way) then heading West to Bignor. Had one puncture and a subsequent feck up (good that South Downs Bikes was open in Storrington) and eventually ended up at the foot of Bignor.

I basically attacked way to hard, more out of nerves, whilst Jes took it steady (just Google Jeremy Wootton Excelsior to see his form) I really thought I'd done it but that second chevron got me and I gave in too easily - good thing I was able to restart using the bank to prop me up and clip in, and just about caught Jes back up by the top - we both agreed that it was the toughest/steepest hill in Sussex.

Then five miles after that we had Duncton Hill which was tough mainly due to the lactic still in my legs.

Anyway still good that even with my years still searching out new stuff that had not been done before - here's the Garmin Connect Log http://connect.garmin.com/activity/53303620