The fastest tt course

love2ride
love2ride Posts: 224
edited August 2009 in Amateur race
Hi
I have been time trialing for a bit now, but my local course(p311) has a very bad surface and is quite slow, or so I'm told. the course record is only 21:14. Does anyone know what the fastest courses for 10 and 25 miles are in the southern region?
Thanks
Will

Comments

• JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    the blokes on http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk are probly best to ask they'll know everything from each region
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    P881R............Michael Hutchinson......18:07

R25/3L............Michael Hutchinson.........46.30
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    sub55 wrote:

most helpfull.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Tino4444
    Tino4444 Posts: 281
    sub55 wrote:

18:07????? Oh my god thats fast.......I better get some more training in or Michael will be faster than me before long :lol:

Tino.
    Speciallized Allez 09...great bike shame about the wheels!!
  • sub55
    a_n_t wrote:
    sub55 wrote:

most helpfull.

is that supposed to be facetious or not
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • a_n_t
    the fact that you even have to ask should answer your question.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • sub55
    well, love2ride, asked a simple question and i answered it.
    what more do you want.
    if you dont understand the answer, its not my fault.
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    You can check out the times for local TTs in the archives section. I think the Andover course is quick (613)http://www.southdc.org.uk/index.htm
  • Airwave
    Thinking about it the 164 at Lyndhurst is quick if the winds right.Only done it once&the wind was against on the open section so it was'nt to quick that day.NFCC are doing one on it in a couple of weeks.
  • a_n_t
    sub55 wrote:
    what more do you want.

I want to be in the gang too. P881R? You obviously know where it is but ssshhhhhh!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    100m Yeah right.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    sub55 wrote:

....but don't look at Hutch's times on a course, he can make almost any course look like a dragstrip :roll:

Neil
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • sub55
    nmcgann wrote:
    sub55 wrote:

....but don't look at Hutch's times on a course, he can make almost any course look like a dragstrip :roll:

Neil
    agreed but they are considered to be the quickest courses in the country at 10 & 25 mi
  • RCC
    RCC Posts: 19
    The Championship 10 record is held by Wiggins up at Levens L1015 south of the Lake Distict heading to Grange Over Sands. The record stands at 17:58.

In my opinion this is not as fast as the V718 over in Hull, starting at South Cave.

Levens is the fastest in perfect conditions (it has a super fast turn and a downhill start) but is very exposed, not much traffic and the advantage of the downhill start is negated by the horrendous road surface.

The V718 on the other hand has the advantage of being shielded by trees or sunk below the surrounding fields, the turn is tough but the ramp back down seems to sling shot you.

The fastest 25, again in my opinion is the R25/3L down near Hiwaun where you start on top of a cliff and reach >50 MPH on the decent and on the return you finish at the foot of that hill!!!!! BUT there are horrible drags on the return.

Another fast 25 is the A25/11 at Etwall but is VERY tricky to get on if not fast enough, generally closes on a short to mid 57 but could try a slowest 120. For a 25 the best bet would be the R25/3s as there are nearly always massive fields (240 etc).

Hope that helps.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    sub55 wrote:
    There's an open 10 on this course on the 12th Sepember...
    http://www.a3crg.co.uk/futureeventnames.php
  • P164 is not a quick course as it is a bit lumpy. It is however a very popular one as it has just two left turns and the roads are quiet.

The quickest one near you is the Andover one which is on a dual carriageway.

However, chosing a course just because it is quick would just make your 'fast' time artificial. The point (IMHO) is not to get an absolute fastest time but to improve your times on a particular course as that shows progress. Going out and improving your time by a minute because the course is known to be quick does not make you any quicker in real terms. However people may feal I have an old fashioned view (and no my times are nothing special but I am gradualy getting quicker so I am happy even if I am slow by most peoples standards).
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    If you want to get in on oversubscribed events you need a fast time, artificial or not. The purpose of a TT is to get as quick a time as possible over a set distance. It depends on what you want to get out of TTing IMO

You still gauge yourself on those around you, you might go a minute quicker on a DC, but if the guy that normally has a similar time to you goes only 30 secs quicker, you know you have put a good ride in.
  • love2ride
    love2ride Posts: 224
    I know you cannot compare times between courses, but when someone says they've done a 22 then it may not be as impressive as you think if you've only done slow courses.
  • Airwave
    love2ride wrote:
    I know you cannot compare times between courses, but when someone says they've done a 22 then it may not be as impressive as you think if you've only done slow courses.

To true!
    You can only realy compare times on the same day,unless conditions are very similar but even then it would only need a slight change of wind speed or direction.And there could be quiet a difference in times.
    Sporting courses offer a more varied challenge than drag strips.It's more challenging trying to keep it all together whilst going up another bloody hill :twisted:
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    sub55 wrote:

Amendment, Hutch has done a 46.01 on sunday,& missed Boardman's comp record by 5 seconds!
    That BCF time trial on 6th Sept should be a cracker,with Wiggo due to start 2 mins in front of Hutch!
    so many cols,so little time!