Fulcrum Racing 3 vs Mavic Ksyrium Elites

2»

Comments

• Hi there. Not certain if I purchased a Friday afternoon build set of Ksyriums but I cannot believe how poorly they roll compared to my Campag Neutrons. On a simple spinning test the campags continue spinning almost twice as long as the mavics. Have I got a dodgy build.? Any views would be appreciated.

Spinning tests don't mean anything. They just highlight dry bearings. If you starve a bearing of grease it will run forever, but not for long.
    Also, Campagnolo use cup and cone design which has lower rolling resistance to the very decent sealed bearings Mavic use.
    In real terms there is no difference whatsoever and you should probably add some grease to your Neutron bearings, just in case... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Dezza
    Dezza Posts: 155
    mamba80 wrote:
    chain saw chain oil is the best thing to silence a noisy freehub, £5 per litre from a garden centre, it doesn't get washed out like oil or pushed to one side like grease.

As an owner of a noisy set of campag siroccos, is there any chance you can explain how you do this? Simply pour a bit into the end of the hub and hope it seeps in or is it more intricate?
  • larmurf
    larmurf Posts: 110
    This may be 4-years late, but hey… so for people reading this thread in the future, interested in Fulcrum 3 v Mavic Ksyrium Elites here is my experience.

Fulcrum 3’s
    I’ve had these on my winter / wet weather bike for 3 years. They have probably covered approx. 5000 miles.

Pros: In terms of ride performance they are great wheels, they roll really well & never come out of true on our crappy UK country roads. In terms of noise, what noise, don’t stop pedaling!

Would I buy them again, absolutely NOT, for the following reasons:
    • both front & rear bearings have gone and are really expensive to replace
    • the aero spokes rotate for no apparent reason
    • alloy spoke nipples all seized up
    • wet weather braking performance is terrible. Much worse that other wheels I have.
    • the braking surfaces are completely knackered & worn down to the bone. the rims are made from soft alloy which is why they wear so quickly.

Mavic Ksyrium
    I also have a pair of Mavic Ksyrium SL’s on one of my summer / race bikes. I’ve have these for 5 years & probably covered approx. 10,000 miles on them.

Pros:
    • light, fast, roll really well, bomb proof, never come out of true.
    • Wet weather performance is good compared to the Fulcrum 3’s
    • The braking surfaces are pretty much as new, virtually no wear. But then they haven’t subjected to winter use, only occasional rain.
    • Never had any problems with the spokes or bearings

Cons: Absolutely none. They are brilliant

Based on my experience I have recently brought a pair Mavic Ksyrium Elites for my winter bike. I will update this thread in 3-years and let you know how they fair.

Well how did the Ksyrium Elites fare ..??
    Mahatma Gandhi was asked by a British journalist what he thought of Western civilisation. "I think it would be a good idea," he replied.