Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

Pro Team Sponsorship and personal shopping choices

Finbar SaundersFinbar Saunders Posts: 299
edited July 2009 in The bottom bracket
As cycling fans does pro team sponsorship influence what you buy? As I see it there are two levels; the cycling specific stuff like bikes, equipment, nutrition etc and the non-cycling stuff like flooring, coffee makers, banks etc. I have a number of pieces of Columbia clothing but I bought most of those before they got into team sponsorship and my main reason for choosing those was that they make really good outdoor wear. I also have an HTC phone but again chosen before they sponsored a team. My Garmin Edge 705 was bought after the team was formed but it's not like I had a lot of choice there. I've got Sky, but nothing to do with cycling sponsorship. I sometimes shop at Halfords. But to be honest, I can't say that I've really been influenced by sponsorship. Anyone else?
No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!

Do you buy stuff from cycling team sponsors because they sponsor cycling? 0 votes

Yes, without advertising I would be lost.
0% 0 votes
Yes, everything else being equal or similar I'll support the company that supports cycling.
0% 0 votes
Maybe, I'll have a look at what the sponsor offers but it's got to be value for money for me.
0% 0 votes
No, no influence on my purchases
0% 0 votes
Dude, I buy so much cr*p that I am the reason the sponsors can afford to be in cycling
0% 0 votes

• CHRISNOIRCHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    I saw a Zipvit advert in Procycling - they're a sponsor of Cervelo - and checked it out. Their 'Recovery Box' offer was on so I bought it and have subsequently bought more stuff. So yeah, I think I was swayed a bit.