Recommend me a place to visit

2»

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    pdid wrote:
    Sounds like you had a good time :D

I must agree that the forest roads are a nightmare, it`s not so much the climbing on them, which I see as a necessary evil, it`s when you`ve climbed and then descend on forest roads they become very tedious.

couldnt agree more, it mainly annoyed me cause you are RIGHT NEXT to some lovely looking forest!! it properly affected my attitude most of the way round but those final stretches of descent are unbelievable, the best riding i have ever done. im covered in lumps and bruises though. my right leg has 2 definate patches of bruising, one above, and one below where my pad was, if i hadnt worn them id have smashed my knee up reall bad, i remember feeling it cushion as i hit the deck. im glad i came home last night as im not sure if i would have wanted to drive now that i have stiffened up!

thanks to everyone for the excellent advice, it helped me to have a bit of confidence and give stuff a go. i had an ace time and will definately return. if any other novices fancy giving the place a go, i highly recommend it, like me, you might be suprised at what you can do.
  • Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    But sheepsteeth there are no long fireroad descents on loop 1 :?

Maybe you accidentally started on loop 2? :)

Where did you start your ride from?

pdid - I agree with your comments on the Marin fireroads, they are a nightmare :(

Stu
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    I came to the conclusion a while ago that climbing is more in the head than actual physical fitness. I think once you've got to a decent standard of base line fitness the rest of it's in the head - and I say that as someone who climbs almost every day and each climb over the same hills is different and takes a different toll and has a different effect on my body each time.

Some days I can fly up and round them and want more, other days I just haven't got it in me and it's a real chore - and that's purely psychological in my book.
  • Anonymous
    Hey, sheepsteeth, you still in or around North Wales? I'd be up for a ride with you on Sunday.
  • Anonymous
    ayup yeehaamcgee, im back in drizzly essex now mate.

however, im planning a return trip in a few weeks to visit the wifes folks on merseyside. so am planing to go back to brenin to have a go at tarw (i wish i had stayed to do it this week in hindsight) and a return to llandega, just cause i really like it!

you do realise if we rode together you would spend a lot of time waiting for me at the top and bottom of everything!!
  • Anonymous
    afan is on the cards but probably not until october time but that throws up another problem for me, i hate winter riding, real bad!
  • Anonymous
    you do realise if we rode together you would spend a lot of time waiting for me at the top and bottom of everything!!
    No worries! the more rest the better :D
    I'm not exactly at peak fitness at the moment anyway, my knee is still recovering, but I'm trying to build my fitness back up to go to glentress in September.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Try the Marin in Betws y Coed, then the Penmachno trails bout 4 miles further on. Needs good fitness though. Travel time Essex/N.Wales, more like 5hrs +. Lived in Witham/Marks Tey and spent 10yrs plus coming to see in-laws in Bangor.
    Living here now, only 45 mins from CYB, Marin, Penmachno.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    I came to the conclusion a while ago that climbing is more in the head than actual physical fitness. I think once you've got to a decent standard of base line fitness the rest of it's in the head - and I say that as someone who climbs almost every day and each climb over the same hills is different and takes a different toll and has a different effect on my body each time.

Some days I can fly up and round them and want more, other days I just haven't got it in me and it's a real chore - and that's purely psychological in my book.

+1. It's all about finding your rhythm and knowing what your body is up for that day.