Bunch sprint advice

Si C
Si C Posts: 130
edited September 2009 in Amateur race
I got into a bit of a mess in last nights race. This is the second time that I've got completely out of shape during the sprint. I can only describe it as a tank slapper, or high speed wobbles.

Speed is good, I seem to be able to hold the younger guys, but just get out of shape with a hard out of saddle on the drops effort.

Clearly I have a technique issue....any advice? I need to fix it as I don't want to be labeled A: a numpty B: dangerous to other riders.

Comments

• nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    I like to practice sprints with friends on training rides. Find an open bit of road and just have a proper sprint.
    You get used to keeping an eye out and taking care.

Bunch sprints are pretty hectic, holding your line is probably the best advice. You can also practice leaning on ppl and bike handling skills through cyclo cross or such.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • Lean forwards, getting some weight towards the front tends to stabilise the bike a bit, stops it from wobbling from side to side too much. Go out and practice sprinting by yourself a bit, it helped me a lot, makes it easier to contest a win when you're confident you can keep the bike in the right place!

exercise.png
  • Si C
    Do you sprint on the drops? If I stand up and use the drops I feel that I can get more pwer into it, the downside being things can get a bit loose.

Can I not blame it on the bike and buy a new frame :wink:
  • Yeah, definitely sprint on the drops, means you can pull harder with your arms and so create more power, however as you mentioned, this can lead to getting out of shape if you're really going for it and not used to the position. Like everything in cycling it's a case of trying it and getting used to it, it feels like second nature after a few races, honest!

exercise.png
  • Si C
    I'm not blaming the bike here...but can a worn headset cause the front end to be skitish in a sprint?
  • I'd just love the opportunity to be in the sprint at all.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business