• Very sad news. As others have written, a true gentleman of the game. :(
  • discurio
    discurio Posts: 118
    just heard this on the radio. very sad
    I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information
  • Angus444
    Angus444 Posts: 141
    +1

I loved his enthusiasm and passion for the game.....always struck me as someone who would be great to work for/with......compared to some modern day impostors who have won nothing, and have nothing worth saying, this guy was head and shoulders above the rest. And this is coming from a Scot!.....

RIP Sir Bobby......
  • I don't support any of the teams he was ever manager of but I've always always had great admiration for the man. I often felt his success abroad seemed undermined by a lot of English clubs.

He is probably the only English manager I would have loved to see in charge of the Scotland team.

RIP
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Sad indeed.

A true gentleman who kept his dignity despite having to put up with some absolutely savage treatment from the press during his days as England manager.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    The nation's favorite grandad. Saw him on TV at that England v Germany legends game last weekend and was shocked how ill he looked, still had that twinkle in his eye though.

One of football's last true gentlemen.
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • alex16zx
    alex16zx Posts: 153
    Very sad news, not a fan of any club he's been involved in but he was one of those people who transcends anything like that.
    Was heading up to Newcastle this evening anyway, so I will try and mark it in some way. Think my mate's already gone down to St James's park this morning.
  • lloyd_bower
    lloyd_bower Posts: 664
    Yep sad news, best record of recent of any England manager, and a success at many clubs on the continent too.

Ridiculously sacked by Newcastle, how they've gone downhill since.
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    RIP Sir Bobby. Not followed football much I was a nipper but still have happy memories of Italia 1990, being a kid and glued to the TV.
  • I've long since given up my season ticket, I hardly watch the lads on TV, I've got little stomach left for millionaire tantrums, but when I listened to Sir Bobby talk with passion about the game he loved he reminded me why I followed it in the first place.

RIP Sir Bobby.
    If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    + 1 to everything that's been said. A genuine management great.
  • timb64
    timb64 Posts: 248
    So sad to hear this news.
    I was lucky enough to have followed Ipswich Town FC since the early '70s so witnessed the work and incredible character of the man.
    He will never be forgotten in this part of the world.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Robmanic1 wrote:
    The nation's favorite grandad. Saw him on TV at that England v Germany legends game last weekend and was shocked how ill he looked, still had that twinkle in his eye though.

One of football's last true gentlemen.

Reckon the organizers knew he was on the way out and that was the unspoken reason for the event taking place.
  • weyayeman
    weyayeman Posts: 1,141
    Legend is used too much in sport sometimes,but this man wasn't just a Legend he was a
    SIR LEGEND

R.I.P.Sir Bobby :(
    How son yee divent need gaan doon the Pit,coz thas plenty coal in the coal hoose
  • brainsys
    brainsys Posts: 23
    Sad too. also sad to see Newcastle, Ipswich et al trying to claim my boyhood hero. A West Brom hero. Not only a great sixties team but where he must have learnt his management skills as behind him was Ken Howe who went on to manage the Woolwich Arsenal or whatever they call themselves these days.

Football was a very different game then and a little bit more of it died today.
  • ElLawro
    ElLawro Posts: 59
    Many many things wrong with the modern game, mostly populated by people just out for what they could get! Sir Bobby Robson's honesty, integrity and sheer enthusiasm for the game always shone through! RIP
    1892 Posts: 1,690
    RIP Sir Bobby :(

A lovely bloke, who I think would have won the world cup if he hadn't been hounded out of the job by the gutter press.

Will be very sadly missed by all footie fans the world over
    Justice for the 96
  • timb64
    timb64 Posts: 248
    brainsys wrote:
    Sad too. also sad to see Newcastle, Ipswich et al trying to claim my boyhood hero. A West Brom hero. Not only a great sixties team but where he must have learnt his management skills as behind him was Ken Howe who went on to manage the Woolwich Arsenal or whatever they call themselves these days.

Football was a very different game then and a little bit more of it died today.

No-one's trying to claim him,just showing some respect and admiration for the man.
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    as a lifelong Arsenal fan (1978)
    and Scotland Fan (1990)
    and wry observer of the catastrophic tragedy that is Newcastle United

I have no fanatically motivated reason to admire the man at all,

Nevertheless, I get the impression, as a human being, that this was one of the greats.

I saw George Burley on the TV tonight describing how BR treated him on his debut (by arranging for his mum and dad to sit in the directors' box at Old Trafford) and I thought what a fine man he must have been.

BTW: brainsys, if you mean Don Howe, good Lord, you should have spent the afternoons that I endured on the North Bank in the 1980's to know that these were not the Heydays of the Woolwich Arsenal (founded, incidentally, by a man from Fife!)

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• grantus
    grantus Posts: 690
    As a Scot I never could understand why he was treated so badly by the gutter press in England?

He seemed like a really nice man - his lifetime achievement award last christmas at the SPoTY awards was brilliant - lump in the throat stuff

To think he was stitched up by a little to$$er like Keiron Dyer at Newcastle as well :evil:
  • True gent
    Life is not a spectator sport
  • A man full of humility and I would say is possibly (the last one being Alex Ferguson) the penultimate of his generation of managers who could DO THE JOB whether he had the "badges" or not.

Qualifications :!: :!: I've sh1t 'em can you DO THE JOB? He could,

This is part of the trouble with this country.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • grantus
    grantus Posts: 690
    Great programme on BBC1 last night.

Loved Van Niistelrooy's story about the mickey mouse drawing in the PSV training ground :)
  • grantus wrote:
    Great programme on BBC1 last night.

Loved Van Niistelrooy's story about the mickey mouse drawing in the PSV training ground :)

Here, here. Wish RVN had named names though. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.