Carbon skewers

nicensleazy
nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
edited August 2009 in Road buying advice
A friend of mine always bangs on about carbon skewers. Anyone use them on here. If so, which one's ?? Cheers

Comments

• andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    From the little I know about carbon, it would only be the QR handle/cam that was carbon, the 'bolt' would have to be metal of some sort as i believe carbon is no good in tension.

So carbon skewers is a bit on a misnomer.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    From the little I know about carbon, it would only be the QR handle/cam that was carbon, the 'bolt' would have to be metal of some sort as i believe carbon is no good in tension.

Yea I was under the same opinion, carbon handles with the actual skewer part being metal.
  • nicensleazy
    Yes you are right...... Carbon handels with a ti body
  • akkers
    akkers Posts: 140
    I have the Zipp ones. Can I tell the difference between those and the regular Fulcrums I have on my Alu rims????? Not at all - just that the Zipps look better.
  • nicensleazy
    akkers wrote:
    I have the Zipp ones. Can I tell the difference between those and the regular Fulcrums I have on my Alu rims????? Not at all - just that the Zipps look better.

:lol::lol::lol:
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,271
    If you're only freewheeling around Richmond park they'll be alright, but in my experience skewers are very important for road safety and the only ones I trust are the internal cam ones (Shimano or Campagnolo). If I am sure not to loose a wheel going downhill, I am more than willing to compromise on the 20 grams difference or so.

If you've noticed, PRO riders at the Tour the France ALL use internal cam skewers, at least for the rear wheel.

... and yes, I have lost a wheel because of boutique skewers, specifically a pair of DT Swiss ones.

Your life, your choice...
    left the forum March 2023
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    Actually, Tune make some true carbon skewers called the U20, unveiled at last years' Eurobike. Weight? 19g.

5701874d67e2b86f4dbb6d90f29a4e17.jpeg

I don't think I'd ride them though. :?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Actually, Tune make some true carbon skewers called the U20, unveiled at last years' Eurobike. Weight? 19g.

+1 Think I'll take a pass on them also. For some strange reason I seem to prefer having my wheels held on by something I trust. Not sure why that is but.........
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    dennisn wrote:

+1 Think I'll take a pass on them also. For some strange reason I seem to prefer having my wheels held on by something I trust. Not sure why that is but.........

You're just old fashioned, not used to the ways of the modern world.... :D

What manufacturer/model types would be good to use?
  • dennisn
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

I use DA or Record. Very well made. Never had a problem. They have a sturdy / secure feel to them. I just like the idea of something with a bit of "toughness"(for lack of a better word) holding the wheels in place. Guess I am old fashioned. Oh well. :wink::wink:
  • synchronicity
    I like mavic skewers best (but their good ones, not the cheapy ones)
    Rolf & spinergy also make nice skewers...
  • ugo.santalucia
    Campagnolo and Shimano are the best ones, sadly they're not sold as spares, but only with hubs/wheels. I daresay Shimano are the best ones, especially the MTB ones (XTR), but also DA and Ultegra.

The good Mavic ones have an effective locking mechanism and the fulcrum ones are the same as the Campagnolo (although the plastic handles are not so good).

All the others you can buy on wiggle and other websites are rubbish, including the big names.

The external cam locking mechanism is not very strong and badly designed, but for some silly reason is very popular with manufacturers (cheap manufacturing costs?)
  • dennisn
    Campagnolo and Shimano are the best ones, sadly they're not sold as spares, but only with hubs/wheels. I daresay Shimano are the best ones, especially the MTB ones (XTR), but also DA and Ultegra.

The good Mavic ones have an effective locking mechanism and the fulcrum ones are the same as the Campagnolo (although the plastic handles are not so good).

All the others you can buy on wiggle and other websites are rubbish, including the big names.

The external cam locking mechanism is not very strong and badly designed, but for some silly reason is very popular with manufacturers (cheap manufacturing costs?)

Here in the states you can buy DA skewers separately from wheels.
  • ugo.santalucia
    dennisn wrote:

Here in the states you can buy DA skewers separately from wheels.

I know... but here in the UK we can't... well, some online retailers claim they have them, but they're never in stock... not quite clear why
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727

Oh dear!! :( It sounds as if I've been riding around on 'crap' skewers for the past 15-odd years (with never a problem at all from them - and with them being both lighter and better looking than the original ones) :!:

The 'crap' ones have always held my wheels on nice and securely, always come undone when required (quite often as I put the bike in the car a lot) and always done back up firm and tight.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    dennisn wrote:
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

I use DA or Record. Very well made. Never had a problem. They have a sturdy / secure feel to them. I just like the idea of something with a bit of "toughness"(for lack of a better word) holding the wheels in place. Guess I am old fashioned. Oh well. :wink::wink:

+ 1 Yes Record ones are very good.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    How could your mate bang on about his skewers all the time - what is there to say ?

I can think of much better things to spend my money on to be honest.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Chrissz wrote:

Oh dear!! :( It sounds as if I've been riding around on 'crap' skewers for the past 15-odd years (with never a problem at all from them - and with them being both lighter and better looking than the original ones) :!:

The 'crap' ones have always held my wheels on nice and securely, always come undone when required (quite often as I put the bike in the car a lot) and always done back up firm and tight.

Sorry, the external cam ones haven't been around for 15 years, they came out with carbon frames and vertical dropouts less than 10 years ago... so yours must be internal ones...
  • andrewjoseph
    I've got allan key skewers on my mtb's, and I'm going to get them for my boardman soon.

I'm hardly ever in a race situation where every second counts. :wink:
    --
  • nicensleazy
    cougie wrote:
    How could your mate bang on about his skewers all the time - what is there to say ?

I can think of much better things to spend my money on to be honest.

Because he's a carbon nut!
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    I know... but here in the UK we can't... well, some online retailers claim they have them, but they're never in stock... not quite clear why
    Try chainreaction
    Deore £10 the pair, Dura-Ace £45 each. 105 and XTR also in stock
  • aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    Carbon is actually extremely good in tension! It's actually the fact it's not easy to put a good thread on carbon that makes it difficult to use for the spindle.
  • aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    Sorry, the external cam ones haven't been around for 15 years, they came out with carbon frames and vertical dropouts less than 10 years ago... so yours must be internal ones...
    You seem to be struggling with history - I've certainly got some external cams I bought over 12 years ago (not quite sure when - got them before I got the bike they're now on, and that's over 12 years old). External cams weren't a particularly new thing when I got them either. They also work just fine.

Not that you seem to have much idea about timescale of other things - said 12 year old bike has a carbon frame.
  • andrewjoseph
    aracer wrote:
    Carbon is actually extremely good in tension! It's actually the fact it's not easy to put a good thread on carbon that makes it difficult to use for the spindle.

Thank you, I learn something new everyday! :D
    --
  • andrewjoseph
    aracer wrote:

Thank you, I learn something new everyday! :D
    --
  • synchronicity
    aracer wrote:
    You seem to be struggling with history - I've certainly got some external cams I bought over 12 years ago (not quite sure when - got them before I got the bike they're now on, and that's over 12 years old). External cams weren't a particularly new thing when I got them either. They also work just fine.

Not that you seem to have much idea about timescale of other things - said 12 year old bike has a carbon frame.

Yes. I remember salsa flip-off skewers were advertised way back in the mid-to early 90s.

skew_flipOffw.jpg
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887

Compression, I believe. :wink: