Bottom bracket compatability - Campagnolo and Miche

Pikolo
Pikolo Posts: 9
edited August 2009 in Workshop
Hi

I presently have a 107mm Miche Primato bottom bracket (ISO taper) to go with the matching crankset on a converted road frame. The BB needs replacing, and I do not want to get the same one (it has been one long headache).

One issue is that the inside of the crank spider wants to rub against the chainstays, which flare out more those on a dedicated track frame. To prevent this I adjusted the bottom bracket (neither cup has a "lip", so it is possible to move L or R) to stop the rubbing, but at the cost of symmetry. My non-drive crankarm is now more medial (i.e. closer to the frame) than the drive-side arm.

I have been looking into the 111mm Campy Centaur BB (ISO taper for double), which acccording to other threads/forums is "symmetrical." How will this longer spindle affect the symmetry of my track crankset? Will the chainline be affected greatly?

Thanks,

Peter
Ottawa, Canada

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It'll move your chainline out by 2mm - which in my experience is tolerable, but might be a bit more noisy. There is no means to adjust the chainline - unlike the Miche.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Pikolo
    Pikolo Posts: 9
    Thanks for the reply Monty

With my current asymmetrical set up--with the non-driveside crankarm something like 3mm closer to the frame than the driveside arm--it is possible that the chainline will not be affected noticable, since it will be the non-drive side that will be moved out most by the increased length of the (symmetric) spindle.

And so I will go with the Campag BB.