Choice of 3 jackets

canada16
canada16 Posts: 2,360
edited August 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hey

After much searching I have narrowed it down to three jackets, what do you guys think?

http://www.aktive8.com/p/Berghaus/Water ... comparison

http://www.outdooraction.co.uk/acatalog ... KET__.html

The above has gore tex and I can get for 55.00, but they only have a large in brown and is a tiny bit too big, but nothing major, and was hoping for black as it will get dirty.

And last is this:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=56

What would you guys get?

Thanks so much

Comments

• Airienteer
    Airienteer Posts: 695
    The Altura looks the best to me. I'm a big fan of their jerseys and jackets (not so much their shorts) they always seem to fit really well and are of very good quality.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/cycle-clo ... acket.html

I'd get that, cheaper than the night vision. used it with a wicking base layer today and the side vents open and am very impressed with it and the results.
  • Flenser
    Flenser Posts: 372
    I'm getting the Night Vision, or at least I was until I saw that Berghaus.
    Claud Bulter Cape Wrath D27 (2009)
    Raleigh MaxLite FS1 (2001)
  • blister pus
    I've got the RG1 jacket for walking and day to day use and I had the previous version of the RG1 and it's not a sports or cycling specific jacket so you will sweat in it after exertion and it does retain heat - I know, I did, that's why I got the Altura Nevis.

The problems with it when using it as a sports jacket are it's assets when walking in the cold and damp. Should give you a picture.
  • canada16
    Oh, when it said breathbale, I though it would let my hot air out.... AND I HAVE A LOT :lol:

Might get the night vision as it will be handy during the winter with a base layer.

Thanks guys
  • blister pus
    It's a breathable walking jacket is different from breathable active sports jacket as becomes very apparent when you use both side by side I've found. :)

And the Nevis has full reflective strips but not as many as the night vision. If you do night riding then that's the way forward, if you do dusk riding then you could save a little money with the Nevis. Both are definitely designed for the cyclist though
  • canada16
    Just had a look at the reviews on bike radar review. for the altura night vision

They seem to be quite poor.

People saying the letters wear off.
    the zips broke
    waterproof dies only after a short time ect..

I am back to square one.
  • blister pus
    You'll have to retreat any waterproof garment over time anyway whatever you buy. I don't see why Alturas would be any worse than other products.

Zips? ...depends how careful you are. Mine look sturdy and have a nice feel, no complaints.

Letters wearing off? ...possibly
  • teulk
    teulk Posts: 557
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/cycle-clothing/cycling-outer-jackets/altura-nevis-jacket.html

I'd get that, cheaper than the night vision. used it with a wicking base layer today and the side vents open and am very impressed with it and the results.

Ive got one of these in yellow, i have to say i sweat like a pig in it even with the side vents open but then again i guess im just a sweaty rider. Its a very good jacket having said that and is very waterproof - ive been out in a few torrential downpours in it and it does keep you warm on those chilly mornings.

Mine has been through the wash a few times as with it being yellow it really shows the dirt and the lettering is still as good as the day i bought it over a year ago. The one thing i havent done is re-water proof it bu thaving said that it has still kept me dry in the heaviest of downpours.
    Boardman Team 09 HT
    Orbea Aqua TTG CT 2010
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011
  • blister pus
    I could imagine if I'd bought the large, which would have been a very "snug" fit, I probably would have heated up sufficiently for the jacket to not breath and trap the heat but I have some room around me for air flow and the vents really do the trick with an XL.

So for me it's vents open full in these current conditions and vents closed / partially open in winter. But I really benefit from a decent wicking top as it stabilises the temperature. And compared to my Berghaus RG1 jacket there is an order of magnitude (or three) difference in effectiveness.
  • Flenser
    Flenser Posts: 372
    The mother in law is buying me the Altura Night Vision for my birthday in a couple of weeks. I've taken the plunge.

The wife is buying base layers, my brother shorts and the brother in law a jersey (probably). I've got he bug. :lol:
    Claud Bulter Cape Wrath D27 (2009)
    Raleigh MaxLite FS1 (2001)
  • I've had the Altura Night Viz for a couple o yrs now and only complaint would be letters peelin a bit on the arm...it's a nice fit, is vented, looks smart and lights up a dinger after dark on the road...I've reproofed mine twice...at a fiver a go...still goin strong. Otherwise I'd say it's very hard to beat Endura kit for durability, form n function...and you're spendin your moolah local!

"KEEP 'ER LIT N FILL YER BOOTS!"
    "KEEP 'ER LIT N FILL YER BOOTS!"
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    Endura make some nice jackets. I have the Event which is a great fit, pretty light and very breathable.

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/endur ... proof.html
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • canada16
    144.00 :shock:

That will get thrashed in afan and cwmcarn.

Just looking for 50.00 and under, I still have not bought anything.

They have that raceface aquanot but people are saying ggod jacket, but zips are poorley made.

delema
  • It's always a compromise- you're not going to get clothing that is both waterproof AND breathable while doing anything more that a very very mild cycle ride.

My rule is wet and warm is better than wet and cold when dry and warm isn't an option. E.G. Merino wool baselayer, a decent waterproof jacket (the more brethable the better, but accepting that you'll get wet from the inside not the outside) and don't take the jacket off until you've got change of clothing / warm shower!

I've got some Altura Attack trousers and they are relatively breathable with the ankle zips un-done- certainly better than plastic £10 walking trousers. If I buy another cycling jacket it'll be a bike specific one- as someone already pointed out they are likely to be designed better for the amount of heat produced when biking.

Note: I don't want anyone misquoting the first 8 words of the second paragraph ok. :D
  • canada16
    Yeh I know I am asking way to much for 50.00.

Might stick with the nightvision for winter as gets dark early.

Just dont like the fact that people are saying the letters fall off, not good for a rrp 60.00 jacket.

None of my normal 10.00 jackets have done that.
  • canada16 wrote:

I have one of these. It's brilliant. And it looks okay off the bike too. I love mine.

It's 100% waterproof too- tested many times
  • canada16
    Yeh I seen that too.

It is going to be that or the nightvision.

The night vision one would be really good during the winter, but is it worth the extra 15.00.

Need to make a choice soon, as I am annoying myself. :wink:

Seen a sweet nike acg goretex for 60.00 and others are selling them for 150.00.

Thanks for the link.
  • canada16
    Opted for this in the end.

Cant beat Goretex and 15,000 - 20,000mm waterproof for 50.00.

Thanks guys for the advise.

http://www.outdooraction.co.uk/acatalog ... KET__.html