Copact V Standard?

donnie murdo
donnie murdo Posts: 986
edited August 2009 in Road buying advice
I know it's a dumb question but I don't know..

What is the difference between compact and standard?

Please help?

Thanks,

Comments

• Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    A compact typically has a 34 tooth small sprocket and a 50 outer
    A standard runs 39 and 53
  • donnie murdo
    donnie murdo Posts: 986
    Thanks,

What would the difference be in using one or the other?
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    the compact is lower geared - both at the top end (50 vs 53) and the low end (34 vs 39)
  • rokkala
    rokkala Posts: 649
    gkerr4 wrote:
    the compact is lower geared - both at the top end (50 vs 53) and the low end (34 vs 39)

Depending what cassette you have on the back, it can be higher at the front if you have say 50-11 v 53-12. Main difference is that you can get lower gears at back without losing from the top end, but the gap between gears will be a bit bigger.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    Rokkala wrote:
    gkerr4 wrote:

Depending what cassette you have on the back, it can be higher at the front if you have say 50-11 v 53-12. Main difference is that you can get lower gears at back without losing from the top end, but the gap between gears will be a bit bigger.

this is true - but I guess I was talking "like for like" - with say a common 12-25 cassette
  • naive
    naive Posts: 47
    Rokkala wrote:
    gkerr4 wrote:

To clarify, the gap between the gears when you stay on one chainring is actually smaller on the compact (if this is not obvious), but there is a much bigger jump when you change between the larger and the smaller chainring. This means that on a compact, when you change down to the smaller chainring, you will probably also need to change up--perhaps two or even three times--to a smaller sprocket at the back.
  • akkers
    akkers Posts: 140
    In laymans terms a Compact will get you up hills easier as you can spin faster. A larger will be better on descents as you can gain more momentum through slower turns of the pedals.

Depending on type of riding determines which you go for.

Experienced guys generally use standard - others use Compact, or if your riding in very hilly areas, a Compact helps
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Hi folks,

I currently have a Campag Chorus 10sp chainset with the Alpine rear cassette.
    If I wanted to go compact, would I have to change anything else other than the
    chainset and bottom bracket?

Also, could I fit most chainsets??

Thanks