Carbon wheels for around £1000

Wappygixer
Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
edited August 2009 in Road buying advice
I'm looking at a new set of wheels and quite fancy some deep section carbon jobbies.
I've got a budget of around £1000 give or take
They must be Campag compatible
They must take clinchers not tubs, tubs are too much hassle been there done that.
They need to be quite touch as I weigh 13.5 stone too.
Any recomendations?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Cosmic Carbone SLs?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    Look at hed aero labes uk. Hed stingers (i think) 40/60 or 90 mm deep clinchers or tubs campag or shimano £1079 and they do inteest free if you e-mail them. When i asked they said they were good to 225 lbs rider. They were god enough for lance!
  • akkers
    akkers Posts: 140
    Personally, i dont see th point of carbon rims in clincher format. utilising tubs gives the full benefits and a nicer ride. Also - it really isnt that much hassle changing tubs once youve done it a few times.
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    If you can go to £1499 then I have just the set of Campag Bora Ultra's for you. Brand new in box with wheel bags!
  • akkers
    akkers Posts: 140
    If you can go to £1499 then I have just the set of Campag Bora Ultra's for you. Brand new in box with wheel bags!

....Now THAT is a set of wheels !!!!! I'd seriously go for those - just my opinion though.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Chain reaction have 2008 Zipp 808's at £1,069 (Campag clinchers)
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=36649
  • Wappygixer
    I know tubs are not hard to change but they are a pain to repair, I ran tubs years ago and now I want a simpler life and don't want to carry a couple of spare tubs ever time I go out, inner tubes take up so much less space and can be reapired at the road side.

Thanks for the offer on the Bora's but its too much over my budget.

The Hed's looked great but can onlt find them in tub version, no mention of clinchers on the website.

I'll look at the Zipps if CRC will ever load.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Wappygixer wrote:
    I know tubs are not hard to change but they are a pain to repair, I ran tubs years ago and now I want a simpler life and don't want to carry a couple of spare tubs ever time I go out, inner tubes take up so much less space and can be reapired at the road side.

Thanks for the offer on the Bora's but its too much over my budget.

The Hed's looked great but can onlt find them in tub version, no mention of clinchers on the website.

I'll look at the Zipps if CRC will ever load.

I'll play devils advocate and urge you NOT to buy a set of wheels strictly on looks. Unless of course that's all you care about. :wink::wink:
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Might not be deep enough - 46mm ? - Reynolds Assaults - ~ £850

http://www.shinybikes.com/product.php?productid=17845
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... elset_2009
    http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/detail.asp/sk ... 83-Upgrade

(I'd love a 66mm pair of Reynolds Tubs - can't afford them at the mo though)
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    akkers wrote:

....Now THAT is a set of wheels !!!!! I'd seriously go for those - just my opinion though.

They're no better than Zipps or Heds, indeed why is the poster selling them already? Suspicious stuff ...
  • giant_man
    [quote="APIII"]Chain reaction have 2008 Zipp 808's at £1,069 (Campag clinchers)
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=36649[/quote]

That's a great price, almost the weight of '09s too.
  • Wappygixer
    When I said the Hed's looked great I meant they fitted my criteria, not physical looks.

The Zipps look a pretty good buy

I really like the look of the Reynolds and the depth is fine.Not sure why but I was thinking they would be well over my budget.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I think the Reynolds Strike would be in budget too. Believe they are a 66mm rim and under a grand. Also a full carbon rim rather than an alu/carbon bond.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Review of the Strike's - do look yummy.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... s-09-34679
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    akkers wrote:

They're no better than Zipps or Heds, indeed why is the poster selling them already? Suspicious stuff ...

What? I thought you knew about bike stuff :shock: Zipps have a notorious reputation for breakages whereas Boras have the got the reputation as one of the more reliable of the CFRP wheelsets.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • nicensleazy
    akkers wrote:

Don't talk bollocks mate......I have just bought some Hyperons so selling the Bora's!
  • nicensleazy
    akkers wrote:

Don't talk bollocks mate......I have just bought some Hyperons so selling the Bora's which have now sold!
  • LardLover
    LardLover Posts: 676
    dennisn wrote:

I'll play devils advocate and urge you NOT to buy a set of wheels strictly on looks. Unless of course that's all you care about. :wink::wink:

What other reason do you need to buy anything for your bike? Surely "Will it make my bike look good?" is the FIRST question you should ask yourself, and if the answer is yes then EVERY other question is pointless :wink:

We bumped into a guy who had a pair of those Reynolds on his bike, they looked great 8)
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    LardLover wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

What other reason do you need to buy anything for your bike? Surely "Will it make my bike look good?" is the FIRST question you should ask yourself, and if the answer is yes then EVERY other question is pointless :wink:

Well, I was thinking, are they for racing, what are the local road conditions, how heavy are you? Things like that. Silly me. That's what I get for thinking. Of course, everything else, other than looks, is pointless. :lol::lol:
  • giant_man
    akkers wrote:

Don't talk bollocks mate......I have just bought some Hyperons so selling the Bora's which have now sold!

Maybe you're the one who's talking bollocks mate, who in their right mind who buy a second pair of wheels, which is what they are, instead of going to an LBS.

Nice wheels they are but I wouldn't trust this deal.