Ridgeback MX5 or Kona Caldera?

Siix
Siix Posts: 16
edited August 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi there,

I went mountain biking for the first time a few weeks ago and I am already absolutely hooked! I tried it up at Laggan Wolftrax for anybody who has been there. Awesome place. I'm now looking for my own bike and I think I've narrowed it down to two bikes, although I am more than open to suggestions!

I'm between a brand new Ridgeback MX5 for £350 and a 6 month old Kona Caldera (that has had a fair bit of use) for £400. I'd get new tyres and new brake pads with the Kona.

The Kona Caldera is the bike that I rode at Laggan Wolftrax so I've already had a thorough test ride on it and, although I know next to nothing about mountain bikes, it felt pretty good.

I'm just wondering whether anybody has any experience with either of the two bikes (or both) and whether anybody had any general comments on what to go for, what to look out for, etc. As I said, I'm open to suggestions, so if anybody knows of any other decent bike that I could get my hands on for £500 or less (preferably less, I'm a poor student!) please let me know.

Thank you :D

Comments

• Lustral
    Lustral Posts: 29
    I currently ride a Cinder Cone 09 which is the model below the Caldera , it uses the same frame which is bulit and feels strong.

I would recommend the Caldera you have ridden it before and if it feels right , thats the one to go for :)
    Kona Cinder Cone 2009
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    I chose an 08 Caldera and am very happy with it. It's a bit heavy but i wanted something that was able to take a few knocks as i learn how to deal with trail obstacles and SPD pedals (i.e fall off a lot). The faster i go on it (like when i'm trying to keep up with better riders using my ego rather than my brain), the better it feels.
  • Siix
    Siix Posts: 16
    Thanks, guys.

I'm surprised that you find the Caldera heavy, Belv. I was amazed at how light it was when I rode it! It was an 09 model that I rode, although I'm not sure how much difference that makes. Compared to other bikes I've ridden in the past (not specifically mountain bikes, just bikes in general) it felt as light as a feather. Then again, I have next to no experience with mountain bikes, so I have no idea how much they vary in weight.

I've heard from one person that you should steer well clear of ex-hire bikes. The Caldera I'm thinking of is, unfortunately, an ex-hire bike. Obviously I'd expect to have to replace odd bits and bobs over time as it has already been used a lot. But it would only be 6 months old, and as the Kona retails at double what the Ridgeback does, surely there's something a lot better about the Kona?
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    Prior to the Kona i have ridden a rigid steel MTB for years and it just suprised me that the Kona was a touch heavier (albeit with suspension forks, hydraulic brakes etc that the other bike didn't have). Most of the time I don't notice, or care, but when it comes to climbing the combination of front suspension and a similar weight actually makes it more challenging. It has been suggested to me that it's just a matter of riding technique though. I'd like to point out that i have no regrets and wouldn't swap it though - it makes every other aspect of riding more fun.

I can understand the point about ex-hire bikes but the Kona is a pretty solid thing. There are no carbon or light-weight components that can be easily damaged without leaving a trace. If you're getting it second hand from a shop you could ask them to guarantee it against a mechanical failure for 6 weeks. That should be plenty of time for any hidden gremlins to make themselves known.
  • nomadicbry
    nomadicbry Posts: 223
    If the Konas at Laggan are anything like the ones at GT then it'll be a good bike. Excellent for beginners and for the price I reckon a bargain. At Glentress it is hired out 30 times and then sold on. These are well looked after and I would reckon for the money it'll be be better than the ridgeback.

One thing to remember last year's bikes generally become heavily discounted around September / October in most bike shops as they clear stock for new bikes for xmas. If you can wait a month or two then this may be a good option to consider though you take the risk of not finding one of equal quality to the Kona at the price you want to pay
    Enough bikes to open a bike shop but always room for one more...
  • ji_
    ji_ Posts: 38
    I started serious MTBing on an 05 Caldera. It is still going strong and still gets used as my 2nd bike (although to be fair only the frame and bars are original - everything else has been replaced and upgraded over time!)

Like most Ali hardtails the ride can be a bit unforgiving on longer rocky rides- I get backache after 4 hours or so which I don't get on the full sus-but apart from that it is excellent.

Buy it and enjoy it.

First upgrade should be the fork....
    www.louthnet.com/LAMB - Louth Area Mountain Bikers