Choosing bike problem

reevie25
reevie25 Posts: 254
edited July 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
I am looking for a hardtail between £600 and £800. The bike has to have 9 speed, A decent fork and hydraulic discs. the three I've seen are:

Specialized Rockhopper comp
Giant XTC 3
Trek 6500
Does anyone have any more suggestions?

Comments

• cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Merlin Malt 2, with upgrades to SLX Group and Recon SL fork. Comes in at £796.50
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/custom-mo ... -2-09.html

To be honest, at this price point, you are spoiled for choice.
  • reevie25
    reevie25 Posts: 254
    Really I need a popular brand which I can get from my LBS just in case it brakes. (my bikes break allot)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited July 2009
    Not the Giant. It's good at what it does, but it's a pretty oldschool racy machine, there are much better buys for general use.

Boardman of some sort?

<edit- for some reason I typed Trek, I don't know why, meant to say Giant!)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Reevie25 wrote:
    The three I've seen are:
    Specialized Rockhopper comp
    Giant XTC 3
    Trek 6500
    Recently looked at both the Giant and the Trek for mrs.blitz.

The Giant was heavy, felt dull and lifeless and sucked all the energy out of the ride; it also had cheapskate hubs/brakes/BB/headset/finishing kit. The Trek was pretty good but as said above it has a slightly old-school nervy feel to it and although it would make a good entry-level race bike it was a bit too liveley for trail riding.

Eventually got a Gary Fisher Hookooekoo which out-specced all the others, has a sublime ride and most importantly was available in Root Beer with white graphics. Your local Trek dealer should be able to get one no probs.