Brake Improvement Options? (Tricross)

SlowingDown
SlowingDown Posts: 129
edited August 2009 in The workshop
A fair bit has been posted here and elsewhere about braking problems on Specialized Tricross bikes, mostly to do with judder. There have been a few posts about stopping power too and this is my problem.

I've got a 2006 Tricross Sport with its original canti breaks and I've never been happy with the stopping power they offer. I use the bike as my winter/wet bike but performance is so bad I find it terrifying to ride in the wet - even in the dry I've had some hairy moments when it hasn't stopped as fast as I would have expected.

So what are my options (the bike is as supplied but for the shifters which are now Shimano 105, and some skinnier tyres). I've tried setting the brakes up as close to the rims as possible to see if this helps. I've tried new/different pads. Neither helped. The new models now seem to come with v/mini-v brakes but opinion seems split as to whether this is a good option or not. Would they give me more stopping power? Could I also consider caliper breaks given that I'll always be using road bike tyres?

Grateful for your suggestions before I end up embedded in the back/side of a car!
===============================
Ribble Sportive Racing: FCN 2
Tricross Sport: FCN 4
Cannondale R600: FCN 3
Scrapheap Rescued SS, in bits: FCN 9

Helmet wearer
===============================

Comments

• djb1971
    djb1971 Posts: 565
    Look for these

http://www.zepnat.com/news/latest/tektro-cr520-cantilever-brakes-review.html

I run them on my tricross with koolstop pads and they can throw me over the bars if I pull them full on. You need to have a good idea of setting straddles up correctly to get the best out of them.
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    The 720/520s are excellent but what can reduce your judder is the KF Kona style hanger see quote from Chris Juden CTC tech guru here
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • I'll second what Wooliferkins said.
    I changed from mini-Vs to the Tektro 520s with the Kona uphanger and it's a big improvement - plenty of stopping power, but you can still get enough clearance on the rims if your wheel is slightly out of true - ie more than 0.2mm, which was about the limit for effective breaking with the mini-Vs. I think the uphanger is the key - which I'm sure Neil (Wooliferkins) has in stock - if he doesn't, try Spa Cycles
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I ride a Tricross Single and since having the bike the braking wasn't upto expectations. I assumed this was because I had v-brakes and drop bar levers. A few nights ago I swapped the spacers on the brakeblocks around, thick spacer now sits next to the brakeblock and the increase in power has been immense. I can easily lock the rear wheel now.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.