What Bike Should I Get As An All Rounder For About £500??

jakejonesy95
jakejonesy95 Posts: 31
edited August 2009 in MTB buying advice
I've got about £500 to spend on a new bike. Its got to be pretty versatile, but I am happy to spend on upgrades. It just needs to be a bike that i can ride whilst upgrading.Here are a few examples : Giant Stp 0 08 , Giant Stp 2 09 , Kona Stuff 08. Please Post Suggestions Soon!! I want to buy a new bike in a couple of weeks!!

Comments

• the stp is a very nice bike !
    when i get enough money i shal be getting one
  • HighRolla
    HighRolla Posts: 29
    Deciding what sort of bike is the best place to start.
    Do you want 24 or 26 inch wheels?
    Suss or rigid?
    Geared or SS?
  • I want 26 inch wheels, Hardtail and Geared. The sort of riding I do is more towards freeride than jumping but I still do a lot of jumping so I need gears.
  • The sort of riding that I do is probably classed as freeride but I ride more jumps than anything really.
    The setup I thought is:
    Giant STP 0 08 Frame
    Rock Shox Argyle 318 In Black or White
    Avid Juicy 5 203mm F + R
    Mavic Deetraks Wheels
    Shimano Saint Crankset + Shifter + Rear Mech
    E13 LS1
    FSA Orbit MX Aheadset White
    Truvativ Holzfeller Bars + Stem in White
    E13 LS1 Chainguide
    Selle Italia Trans AM XO Special Edition
    FSA DH-300 DH - Freeride Seatpost
    Truvativ Holzfeller Pedals
    PLEASE COMMENT ON THIS SETUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • HighRolla
    If you could get that for £500 I'd be very impressed!
    203mm is probably a little on the large side for a rear brake disc.
    The Deetraks look like a pretty good choice if you've got the money, although they might be slight overkill for jumping.
    The Holzfeller pedals are very nice, but I know from experience that they can be extremely vicious - the pins on them are lethal!
    The STP frame is a pretty good call as well, but maybe have a look at what NS, Last, Identiti and Spank offer as well, just to get an idea of what else is out there.
    I like the Argyles a lot, but was too skint to get them myself when I was upgrading, kida wish I'd hung on a bit longer for them.
    As far as the saddle is concerned, you might be better off picking something more freeride/dirt jump orientated that would suit the bike better, and also more able to stand up the knocks it's going to get.

Hope some of that helps, although like I said at the start, you're not likely to get that for £500 - unless you're just planning upgrades?
  • I know im not gonna get all that for £500 i mean a bike for £500 or under and i dont mind how much i spend on upgrades,good advice though. Have you ever built any north shore??What rig you got atm??
  • HighRolla
    Never built any north shore unfortunately, never found a spot that's lasted long enough to get any going :(

I've got a pimped out Scott Voltage and a stock Identiti P45, neither of which get enough use at the moment :(
  • Good bikes!
    Me and two of my mates went searching for somewhere to build jumps last summer hols. I found this wood with a couple of doubles and few drops. It turns out that they'd been there for two years. A couple of months ago we went back there and everything was exactly the same. So, being the creative, perfectionist that I am. I decided to make some drawings of a north shore drop off that we decided we were going to build. I spent 3 hours doing the drawings. The next time we went there( 1 month ago ),we discovered that 3 trees had been cut down right by the track. This really pissed me off because I spent 3 hours doing the drawings for the drop off and then we decided not to build it in case it gets wrecked :?
    I've been thinking recently.
    Would it be worth us building a small drop and see what happens ? If nothing happens to it could we get away with building a bigger one? I'll build it out of fallen branches not planks of wood. There is a small ns drop higher up the forest which has been made out of planks and hasnt been wrecked.
    Please post advice!!!